102 Whip Antennas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 102 Whip Antennas?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

102 Whip Antennas?

Who here has a 102 Whip antenna?

And next question: Up, or tied down?

I have one, and recently put it up just for fun.

Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I keep mine up. It works great on the highway. My SWR is down to 1.2 with the whip. It does get a little annoying when I drop my boys off at school. It scrapes the overhang and everybody looks at me funny. I also feel like I'm in a bumper car at the bank with my antenna scraping the drive thru ceiling. I have to remove it when I go into parking garages. I have it mounted on my spare tire carrier, but I'm thinking about moving it to my bumper so I can tie it down easier.
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Tinker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used to run one but it just catches everything so I swapped to a 5' firestick mounted on the rear bumper.
Unread 09-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineswinecycles
I used to run one but it just catches everything so I swapped to a 5' firestick mounted on the rear bumper.
Why didn't you just tie it down?
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 09-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
fourwheelhigh

I have a 102" whip on my truck. And I keep it up allmost all the time, only time I tie it down is when it gets put on a lift or im driveing under really low trees. I love my whip and I will never run anything but one, although im looking at getting a car and its goina be hard figureing out how to mount it on a car.
fourwheelhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
blackZZR

I ran a whip on my truck for years, they are great, but off road they beat up the trees to much, be kind, tread lightly, get a firestick
blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZZR
I ran a whip on my truck for years, they are great, but off road they beat up the trees to much, be kind, tread lightly, get a firestick
And AGAIN, why not just tie it down if that is the case? Or do they come unhooked easy?
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 09-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had one once - tied it down to go under a gas station canopy. When I stopped, it came loose, slapped back and forth over three flourescent light fixtures a couple of times then they all broke and my truck was covered with glass and white powder.

FWIW, some four wheel drive clubs ban them on the trail in club outings.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
And AGAIN, why not just tie it down if that is the case? Or do they come unhooked easy?
They get snagged and pull free, or the mount or tie-down breaks. Enough people have been injured by 102" whip antennas whipping around on the trail that most 4x4 events and clubs have banned any antenna longer than around 48" to 52". My Jeep is tall enough that I have to run a 2' antenna to get into the garage. It works so well on the trail that I can't see the need for a 102" whip on the trail.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I see what you mean.

Oh...why was this topic moved to here!? This was meant as a general census thing...
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.