100 watt H4 headlight bulbs with stock harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 100 watt H4 headlight bulbs with stock harness

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

100 watt H4 headlight bulbs with stock harness

Thinking about the Hella e-spec 7" H4 conversion and the 55/100 watt bulbs. There's a 40 amp fuse for the exterior lights, and less than 30 amps being used, so it looks like the circuit will take the 100 watt bulbs. This is only 70 watts (less than 6 amps) more than stock, after all.

The only question after that is whether this would exceed the capacity of the headlight relays. Has anybody done this mod without fabricating a relay kit?

badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is no headlight relay, all that current goes right through the headlight switch. The OE harness will support 100w bulbs but not continually, it's marginal at that much load. I finally installed a headlight harness that uses a relay for both headlights with a direct heavy lead right to the battery and the lights are definitely brighter with zero load on the OE wiring harness. It's a plug-in mod that I highly recommend.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i made one for my buddies YJ and we tested it, the side with harness on low was as bright if not brighter then the factory side on high, i had the relays laying around but you could make one for about $5-$10 if you know how to wire a relay
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, I have a couple of relays hanging around, guess I'll have to use them :-(. All that power's going through the headlight switch. Huh. That's... hmm... what's that word I was searching for, again?
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux
Thanks, I have a couple of relays hanging around, guess I'll have to use them :-(. All that power's going through the headlight switch. Huh. That's... hmm... what's that word I was searching for, again?
retarded on DCs part
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Traceycon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Resistance. too much will melt the harness and the headlight switch.
Build a relayed harness.
Traceycon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzntzhellfire
retarded on DCs part
Few automotive manufacturers use relays for standard headlights. In fact, of the 30+ cars/Jeeps I've owned, I recall just one (a Lexus LS400) that may have used a relay for the headlights.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There is no headlight relay, all that current goes right through the headlight switch. The OE harness will support 100w bulbs but not continually, it's marginal at that much load. I finally installed a headlight harness that uses a relay for both headlights with a direct heavy lead right to the battery and the lights are definitely brighter with zero load on the OE wiring harness. It's a plug-in mod that I highly recommend.
Jerry, do you have a write up on how this is done? For what it's worth, I have a 01 model.

Thanks
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
Jerry, do you have a write up on how this is done? For what it's worth, I have a 01 model.

Thanks
Once you receive the relay wiring harness, you'll see that it's strictly a plug-in modification. Unplug the OE harness from the headlights, plug the relay harness in between those two plugs you just unplugged, and run one wire to the battery. It's very easy to install. No 'lectrical knowledge needed.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Once you receive the relay wiring harness, you'll see that it's strictly a plug-in modification. Unplug the OE harness from the headlights, plug the relay harness in between those two plugs you just unplugged, and run one wire to the battery. It's very easy to install. No 'lectrical knowledge needed.
Easy enough, were does one obtain this harness?
Unread 12-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's where I got mine... http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?c...52de6faacf3db3

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 12-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Universal Wire Harness (9003/H4, 9004/HB1, 9005, 9007, H7/H1, H7/H7)
$63.00/Each

That one, Jerry?
Unread 12-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Conundrum

This sounds so much like a discussion on the DeLorean headlight switch it isn't even funny. The headlight switch on a DeLorean is pretty simple, push it once and marker lights and dash illumination lights come on. A second push turns the headlights on. A third push and it all shuts off. But one little problem, it was all ran through the switch! The plastic inside the switch would melt and eventually, you'd have to switch. A few people have come up with a relay you splice into the harness to save the switch from this fate. My switch started showing its signs of this. Afyter driving for a while with the lights on, turn them off, try to turn them on again and the switch wouldn't stay in the "on" position. I'd have to wait for it to cool off. The inventory for DeLorean headlight switches has been exhausted but DeLorean Motor Company in Texas has some new ones being made for us with a digital control box that has the power bypassing the switch and it also has an auto off feature. I'm still waiting on my new switch that I preordered last year.

Anyway, after reading this thread, when I update to H4s on my TJ, I'll do the harness mod. just as a precaution. I may even do it before. Thank you for that link Jerry!

is the fog lights wired up in the same manner and is it worth doing something for them too?
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
mylt1

do you have any wiring skills? if so here is a writeup fo you to build your own.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum1984
is the fog lights wired up in the same manner and is it worth doing something for them too?
The OE fog lights run off a relay so they're ok to be upgraded to something brighter... within reason of course.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.