'05 starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > '05 starting problem

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
peterlc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

'05 starting problem

Hello all- I have an '05 Jeep wrangler x And lately she has developed an intermittant failure to start. On these occasions, when the key is turned, none of the guages (voltage, gas, temperature, etc.) will move from the far left position and when the key is turned to the "start" position nothing happens. No clicks, whirrs, or any noises at all. When this happens, The dome lights, warning beeper, radio and HVAC all function properly. Eventually the guges will come to life and the engine will start. Today a new wrinkle. The voltage guage only began to function, but engine didn't start. It eventually starts and today it mysteriously died when running. I have had the battery tested and replaced the terminal ends. I can't re-ceate the failure by leaving the gear selector in drive. I just don't know where to start looking.

peterlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ignition switch.
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the TJ, but IIRC on YJ and XJ there have been intermittent no start/delay start situations similar to yours which turned out to be failure of the electrolytic capacitors in the PCM (computer).
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
peterlc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks,
I'm gonna try the ignition switch first since it's only about $20. I don't even want to think about what a new computer would cost. According to my Chiltons manual, it looks fairly simple.
peterlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Forgot to ask. Auto or manual? If manual the clutch switch could be going out.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think by 05 the neutral safety has been removed from automatics but if you have an auto research that too.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the sensor in the bolt-lock security device in the steering column. There are threads on here for that too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.