03 TJ Radio never turns off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 03 TJ Radio never turns off.

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
WYJackson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

03 TJ Radio never turns off.

My 03' TJ got a little wet. Now the radio never turns off. Any Ideas?

I pulled the radio and checked the leads on the radio harness

Radio 12v red/white
Radio Ignition pink
to
Radio Ground black

And both had 12V with the keys removed from the ignition.

I used a volt meter to check the cigarette lighter ports just to see what else had power and they had 12V w/ the keys removed from the ignition.

Last edited by WYJackson; 05-30-2013 at 10:04 PM..
WYJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well you could wack it really hard and call it harsh names or check out your ignition switch to see if its letting power through. Was it everything that got wet or just the radio
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

You could wait til it dries out and see if the problem persists.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you pull the connector from the radio and look for water? If aftermarket pull the connector adapter too. Do you have any other keyed accessories? Are they working without the key too?
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
WYJackson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It was upside down in about two feet of water so quite a bit got wet but its been drying for about a week and half now.

I don't believe it to be an issue with the radio or its adapter, I pulled everything out back to the factory harness and that is where I checked the voltage on the:
12V - Red (which I believe should always read 12V)
12V Ignition - Pink (which always reads 12V but I believe should read 0 when the car is off and keys are removed)

I just pulled apart the steering column to look at the ignition switch, however I have no idea what I am looking at, or what needs to be disassembled to test and see if the ignition switch is what is letting the power through.
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
bubbadiesel250
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah well that sums it up pretty easy. Get a heat gun and start drying everything out completely. I would test the ignition wiring at the plug and if its showing voltage then focus your drying on the switch working it back and forth some. It may have shorted out internally
bubbadiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
WYJackson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled the plug from the ignition switch and radio remained on so the switch does not appear to be the issue. I pulled all of the relays in the fuse box under the hood and the radio remained on.
I believe it must be something between the ignition and the radio. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram to trace the line from the radio backwards?
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
4x4fun
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hayes or Chilton manual at any auto parts
4x4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Id look at the speakers too bc if something is shorting out there it could cause a bad ground im assuming.

but I'm guessing that radio is finished...look on Craigslist for a used unit or you can get a basic unit at wal mart (Sony or pioneer) that will do most modern functions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.