01 grand Cherokee Lighting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > 01 grand Cherokee Lighting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
philfjord

01 grand Cherokee Lighting problem

Hi Guys
I found this forum looking for some answers to my problem so I signed up in hopes of getting some help and also helping out if I can. I am an Auto trans
tech with some lighting issues. 01 Grand Limited that lost Lights.They flash on for a half a second and then nothing.I have no headlights,brights or taillights and only the third brake light is working. Any ideas would be appreciated. Body computer?

philfjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
tennman1990
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would guess the lights switch on the steering column has a short of sorts in it. I don't think it would be a computer issue as it seems to be recognizing the brakes are being pressed and lighting up your third light. Just as a quick check though, look at the fuses and possibly swap a known working same size relay into your headlights spot.
Unread 10-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
philfjord

thank you.
I put the relay in and the headlights now work.
The taillights still do not but the *** end was in the rain.I went to move it and the battery was dead.now it cranks but won't start.I somehow activated an aftermarket alarm with a toggle switch and a green light.Tried every sequence with switching and turning on the key with no luck
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
tennman1990
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear that. Been there with a previous vehicle though and know it REALLY sucks hard.

I'd imagine the dead battery activated the alarm. As far as your alarm problems I would try to get as much info from the system as I could. What I mean is that there should be a control box of sorts under your dash or hood that should give a make and model number. Give that the ol google treatment and see if you cant pull up an online manual. If all else fails, see how it is tied critically into the ignition and yank the sob out (unless of course you want to keep it 0.o).
Back to your main problem, I may be mistaken but I believe that the rear lights also have their own relay/fuse system independent from the headlights. Once you get power back you might want to double check for it.
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
philfjord

thanks guys
alarm had nothing to do with it. A friend stomped on the gas and just kinda blew it out and it ran fine. I guess that is what happens when one assumes.
Head light Relay fixed the fronts. It was 10 bucks from Napa and it was the second one up from the botttom above the fuse panel inside the car under the dash.
taillights were fixed with new sockets from Napa at 9 bucks each. they were just cooked.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.