Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

zte87 build thread

28K views 129 replies 27 participants last post by  dillonjm 
#1 ·
So I about 3 month ago I went prowling to find my wife a new daily driver and ended up finding my new wheeler! Instead of building my old xj any further it became the wife dd!

I picked up my new 96 Laredo 4.0 with 152k on the clock! As it sat it had 4.5 re sort arm lift with 1.75 coil spacers sitting on 35-12.50-15 mtrs rode like poo. lucky me it had a 8.8 and hp dana 30 swap allready so that saved me time and money!

first thing I did was mount the mtrs black wall out made a big difference!

drove it this way for about 2 month and was still putting up with the crappy ride and all the clunking that was comeing form the worn out control arm bushing! so I thought I would try and flex it out but It was ripping of the rear bumper!

well when pulling out of the 711 I heard a loud pop and than the next corner I took I was in for a surprise! the sway bar bracket snaped off :eek:.

and some random flex pics with the sort arms!

So when I bought it the guy I bought it from told me it had a locker up front and I believed him because of all the noise it was makeing up front so I pulled the cover to see what kind. this is what I found

this sucked to see (broken spider gear and also a pinion gear) So I started saveing up for the fix! So I got tired of the ugly rear bumper so I removed it all together!

then the ugly grey cladding was getting to me so I went ahead and painted it black!:2thumbsup:

Then I had xgerstandtx make me up a badass bumper/tire carrier,higlift holder he did a great job!

See less See more
#4 ·
I then tinted my tail lights

than I put some gen right hood louvers

so after I saved up enough money I bought a new 4.56 gear set and a spartan locker for my front dana 30 and me and a buddy installed them in his shop!

So after the front locker install I wanted to climb something so what better than my buddys yj!:D

than after awhile I could't stand the noise of the mtrs so I sold them to xgerstandtx and bought a new set of 5 toyo 35-13.50-15 with my discount at work it was 1250 out the door!

#7 ·
from there I took it out to a buddies house in whidbey island wa and got her muddy and stuck! (not a good idea when you have a long arm kit to install the next weekend :rofl:)

the next weekend I installed my 7 inch iro critacal path long arm kit! everything went pretty smooth for my first long arms kit I could't take any more of the crappy short arm ride!

well the next thing I did was the tj gas bezel mod!

than I finally did something about my rusty rr fender. had to cut out the rust and weld in a new piece than bondo it and than finally hurculine it!

#9 ·
well I got board at work and decided to play with the fork lift so here are some pics!

the same day my buddy wanted to me to try and crawl up his yota's 37 so I went for it!

than it was his turn and you can't tell but his LR tires is off the ground and he is only crawling up a 35 :rofl:!

I know I missed alot but I wanted to get this thread up to speed and also make every one happy cause I have had lots of build thread request the last couple a days:shhh:! so if you have any question shoot away I will try to keep this thread updated!:tea:

#11 ·
love the zj man. congrats on gcotm. i'm lovin that rear bumper

#14 ·
It's really hard to say the zj rides alot nicer but than again it has long arms in the front and soon to be in the rear. The xj is the wife dd now and she love it and I like to drive it still because it feels like it has so much more power I figure its the weight difference between the two but who knows! but in the end I like the zj more :cheers:!

#15 ·
update- I plan on ordering the iro belly skid next week. does any one have one and if so how is it holding up?
also I ordered riddler diff covers for the front hp 30 and rear 8.8 should have them some time next week!

#19 ·
Got the rear installed now to! I don't know much about the eaton e locker works but when I had the cover off I was trying to see why it's not working. When its on it turns to lock up and does for a quarter turn than it just lets go is there anything internal on those lockers that like to break? I guess it time to start saving up for a Detroit locker!

Attachments

#23 ·
#26 ·
brace, it will help reduce more problems than the injectors

#28 ·
The brace doesn't do much to stiffen the unibody. It does tighten up steering a lot. Even on my stock suspension ZJ(the lift is finally on its way) it made a big difference, and I'd already had the steering gear replaced. So with a remanned steering gear, new swaybar bushings, and the steering brace, my steering was a lot more firm. You'll notice it right off, and whatever weak points you can make up for on these Jeeps are worth it. I'd definitely recommend the brace for a lifted vehicle. Especially one as massive as yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.