ZJPunk98's WJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ZJPunk98's WJ Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #31
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Ok, check all the lift and steering components, and I still get experience overly sensitive steering. I will be heading into the shop tomorrow morning for another alignment. The steering issue is similar to death wobble and I am looking at the possible causes: elongated bolt holes on the TB brackets, worn CA bushing front and rear. My hubs, ball-joints, and other hardware are good.

I did see in a few threads the recommendation of loosening the CA bolts, allowing the arms to adjust to the new height and then tighten them properly. I will attempt this as well.

My other area of concern would be the track of my front axle. I believe I have centered it the best I can. The measurements are close, but I found it hard to find reliable and consistent points to measure from for accuracy.

Any input you may have into these areas are welcome.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Went for another alignment today and that is not the cause of my DW. The jeep rides straight. This weekend I will be playing with the CAs to see if that makes a difference.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #33
seymourless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
Went for another alignment today and that is not the cause of my DW. The jeep rides straight. This weekend I will be playing with the CAs to see if that makes a difference.
Man! Hope you get things sorted out. It is always the smallest of things, definitely since you have almost all new stuff
seymourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

i never had DW or any issues like this with my ZJ because everything was new.... Sure it took time to adjust the CAs, TBs, and Swaybar links for the correct settings, but never had DW or anything.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Here are some pics of the minor trimming I have done as well as spraying undercoating in the wheel well and along the downward facing portions of the fenders. I did this to protect from rubbing and rock chips. rust is our enemy here in the north east.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #36
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

coming this week after fixing DW: painting and installing my factory rocksliders, undercoating jeep, and coating rockers with the same black undercoating for protection.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #37
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Define "alignment"? I would start with caster angle. Did the alignment shop give you a printout of the angles? On my ZJ I can make DW come and go with a 2 degree difference in the caster angle . . . and that's with completely unbalanced tires, sloppy track bar and bent tie rod.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #38
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I did not get a readout which I did think was funny, because they usually hand that out to everyone. Anyhow, I do not believe the DW to be from the change in caster. The reason being, the dw is not consistent. the jeep will be riding along straight and smooth at 65 or 70, then the shape of the road or something will cause a shift in the suspension or body position and the swaying will begin.

i removed the TB again today and looked at the bracket bolt holes. both bracket holes are round but seem to have excess wriggle room. I installed the bolts w/o the TB (not torqued down) and there is definite wiggle room for the bolt. I wonder if this is my cause or part of the cause. I may weld on some heavy washers to tighten up the holes.

The other area of concern is the rear A-arm ball joint. I need to check this for excess play. I know this can cause DW if bad.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #39
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Update: when through the jeep loosening the CA bolts allowing the arms to adjust to the new ride height, then torqued them properly. This did not fix the dw, but I'm sure it was needed anyhow.

Thinking about Technoheads comments on the caster: i will check the angle when i get home today. Not enough caster will cause sloppy or possibly over sensitive steering.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Did you ever get one of those shopping carts where one of the front wheels wobbled? Usually because its bent and the caster angle changed. Same phenomenon.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Did you ever get one of those shopping carts where one of the front wheels wobbled? Usually because its bent and the caster angle changed. Same phenomenon.
I understand your theory. I will look into the caster angle. The only way to correct it is by purchasing adjustable CAs which is an option.

I do need to correct the wallowed out bolt holes and I need your help. Will you help me weld the washers in place? I have a warm garage and beer!

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #42
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
. . . I do need to correct the wallowed out bolt holes and I need your help. Will you help me weld the washers in place? I have a warm garage and beer!
We can do it. I should have time Friday or Saturday. Do you have 220 in your garage? My extension cord plugs into dryer style outlet.
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #43
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Ok, after further investigation I have one bad upper control arm bushing for the front. This bushing is mounted in the axle. I will replace both the right and left at the same time.

I am also suspect of the bushing in my brand new JKS adjustable TB. They seem to have a lot of compression or give. This may be aiding the dw. Kinda weird that JKS would provide bushing that are not up to snuff. I may contact them about this. Considering the KOR upgrade kit.

I will also be welding some 1/8" metal plating to my TB mount with low clearance holes drilled to provided a sturdy hold.

I had my neighbor cycle my steering system left and right while feeling front suspension and steering linkage for clunking. I watched a video about this (I will post later). I feel clunking coming from my pitman arm area. I have brand new MOOG HD tie-rods installed, and I have checked for the correct tightness several times. I believe the clunking to be coming from my steering box. This may need adjusting. Any advise with that?

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

The factory WJ rocksliders have been cleaned up and painted. I will have them installed as soon as I cap the ends and finish undercoating the jeep. Pics will follow.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
jmahle67

looks good. good progress on the jeep!
jmahle67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.