ZJPunk98's WJ Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > ZJPunk98's WJ Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Started off the process with lifting the jeep and removing the old front wheels.

Removed the sway bar links to allow axle to drop onto my jack stands. (18mm socket and 19mm open box wrench for the upper bolt)

18mm socket and open box wrench for the lower bolt.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
. . . I will get some outdoor pictures soon. I want to finish the rock sliders and undercoating before I get dirt on everything.
Hurry. Toy Run is less than 3 weeks away!!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

removed the lower bolts on the factory shock with 13mm socket

I had trouble with the top of the shock and I forgot to take pictures. I snapped off the 5mm stud end on the top of the shock, so holding the piston still while cranking the 17mm nut the traditional way was not an option. I attempted using vice-grips on the pistion, but they wouldn't hold.

My solution: took my grinding wheel, flattened two sides of the piston rod and then used the vice-grips. Worked great! No slippage, nice and easy.

Next I removed the old Tb upper bolt with an 18mm open box wrench and a BFH. I would have used a 1/2 drive ratchet, but the tie-rod at the pitman are was in the way. I did not want to pop the tie-rod free for fear of tearing my brand new tie-rod boot. The 21mm bolt for the TB has a metal tab designed to hold it stationary while you crank on the 18mm nut.

Backing the upper TB bolt out was a PITA because of the bump-stop located directly behind it. (when i installed the new TB, I installed the bolt in the other direction. However, after reviewing the FSM, I may change that bolt back to the stock direction.)

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Hurry. Toy Run is less than 3 weeks away!!
what time of day are you starting the ride? i have to work in the morning. I may just donate toys if I can not make it.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

The Lower TB bolt was a PITA as well. Even with lots of PB Blaster over a few days, this bolt put up a good fight. (the nut is welded in the axle bracket, so you back out the bolt) I used my new 3/4 drive to help with this. I did have to work it out and in slowly to get things moving just right! It gave in eventually and backed out.

Ok, once the TB, shocks, and links were removed, I lowered the axle to free the springs and remove the old isolators. When I did, this is what I found:

I cleaned everything up the best I could and used this product to protect what is left of the mounts.

I am looking into new mounts. If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate them.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Old vs. New springs: Similar in height, but the compression rate is different.

New isolators and springs installed (remember to use the locator pin to align the lower isolator correctly).

Looking around for extended spring retainers and bump stops. Any suggestions? I do have access to hockey pucks and I remember seeing someone using those.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Installed the Bilstein 5125s next: I had to hit the hardware store to find new lower bolts. The original ones where part of the stock shock. If anyone is in the same boat: 8mm 10.9 bolts and nuts were used and torqued to 250 in-lbs or 28 N.m. Top nut is torqued when the jeep in on the ground to 26 Ft. lbs.

Next I installed my JKS quick Disconnects. The model I have has a max length of 9 3/8", I have my set at 9 1/4" and I am still shy of the recommended 30 degree sway-bar angle. I am currently at 25 degrees. 25-35 is the range, but 30 degrees is optimal. Maybe I should have the longer model JKS. Both the upper and lower studs are torqued to 65 ft lbs.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Dude, love that color and those wheels! I like the mild lift size.. makes me want to get those wheels for my JK. How do you like the exhaust? That was one of my favorite mods I did to my WJ, the 3" exhaust especially..

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I have not installed the exhaust yet, but that will happen next week. I used the same setup on my ZJ build which you can see in my signature. I loved it with my 5.2, and I hope it compliments the 4.7ho.

I wanted to do a long arm kit, but with a new born at home, I do not have the money. I did the long arms my my ZJ and loved them. Someday, I will do a taller lift with another jeep.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Onto the rear of the jeep:

Top bolt for the shock is a 15mm and the nut is welded to the frame, so crank the bolt out. The lower bolt is a 15mm as well and again the nut is welded to the frame.

After the shocks were out, I had better access to the sway bar links. Once again a 15mm and nut welded to frame. Don't try and twist it off.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

removed old springs and isolators. Then, I sprayed the mounts before installing the new components. Had to remove the bump stops to get springs out and in.

new IRO extended swaybar links.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

installed shocks and wheels after double checking the torque on everything.

All Done! more little projects to come.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #28
seymourless

Subscribed!

I picked up an 02 Overland inferno red with 148k about a month ago. Thanks for the motivation to update my build thread!

Is this a daily driver? How has your interior held up? I ended up swapping for black leather since my suede had turned into a nasty felt...that and the seats felt like cheap pillows haha.
seymourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I have the gray leather interior and it is in excellent condition. This jeep has been in the family since 05' and I have always done the maintenance on it. Yes it is my DD, that is why I only when to 3" of lift. My last build made it hard to use my zj as a DD.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Update:

In the last few days, I had my Kolak exhaust system welded in and it sounds great! I used the same setup on my 5.2 98zj. I have also been doing a little fender trimming and undercoating. I will post pictures soon.

One problem I am having: overly sensitive steering. just toughing the wheel or groove in the road makes the jeep wander left or right. As you can see in the build, I have all new components which are properly torqued. I do plan to check everything again tomorrow. During the lift install, the hubs and ball joints seemed good, but I will check these as well.

It may be a bad alignment. I hope my CA bushings have not gone. I am not sure if those would be a contributing factor or not.

Edit: at 3" of lift, I can not image the axle rotating far enough forward affecting the caster angle and steering stability to much. Has this been an issue with anyone at 3"? Can I adjust the positioning of the lower stock CAs to affect the pinion angle?

At 4.5" on my ZJ, I used adjustable longarms allowing for adjustment of the pinion angle which affects the caster angle.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.