Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The ZJ Turtle Build (56K warning)

16K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  tyler_t 
#1 ·
so after i rolled my xj about 4 months ago i decided it might be a good time to upgrade. so i looked into 97+ cherokee classics but they were missing one thing, a good size motor to move that big suv. so i looked into ZJs. so i bought a 94 grand cherokee limited. 5.2, fully loaded. its only missing a sunroof and heated seats. but oh well. 133k and i paid 2100 for it. not too bad id say. it sat for a while so it needs some work, but thats the name of the game.

here are some stock pics

my first set of mods were a budget boost, bilstein HD shocks off craigslist, and 31x10.50x15 BFG all terrains...heres some pics, an alignment got rid of a nasty case of death wobble

here are the most recent pics. i picked up a turbo city intake off of ebay for 80 bux, i flushed the coolant, the motor, changed the oil to amsoil, replaced the thermostat and a few other small pieces and the plugs and it runs soooo much better now. the catalyst is rattling around inside the cat so i ordered a magnaflow 3" cat, muffler and tip, and im going to get a 3" tailpipe and get it all welded up. i was playing around and i got some flexy pics.

my next few mods will be new wheels to replace the stockers and get the rubbing to stop. then swap the 242 i have in the garage into her. pick up a roof rack. then i am getting a BDS 3" lift with rancho 9000xl shocks and jks discos and lower front control arms.

let me know what ya'll think.

thanks!

See less See more
#8 ·
If you were to have problems it would likely be at idle stuck in traffic or while wheeling in low 1st gear. The tires sure made those wheels look better. The performance mod on a car called a cold air intake is called that for a reason.

#10 ·
How is that a cold air intake, it takes in air from under the hood? Anyhow it does look cool.

#12 ·
i haven't had any problems in traffic at all...sitting in traffic to san diego on the 5 at 4:30pm too.

and i plan on degolding it and i have the power antenna. it retracts when the keys off.

thanks guys.

i like the intake. i don't do rock crawling, its more an expedition and camping rig.

#16 ·
i likey. i just got my bfg at today and love them cant wait to wheel it with them.

#17 ·
I have that same intake, works like a charm.

Hunter

#19 ·
Looks good. I have a "hot air intake" similar to yours. Sure it can bring in some warm air, but it does a great job making me feel safe when I wheel.

IE it is darn near impossible to hydrolock any rig with an intake that far back in the engine bay. I'd take that over a few HP anyday.

Show me a CAI that would also remove the risk of a hydrolock situation and I'd be interested :)

Nice build! I have those same rims and spray painted them black. I love it, looks better and when they get scratched and gouged I just reapply said paint.

#29 ·
Where exactly did you get your intake? I thought it was a bad idea cause o the warm air thing but you and texaszj1 say it's works well. I recently hydrolocked and I'm sure I would not have if I had that intake. I looked on ebay and could not find it.

#31 ·
I have not found it on ebay and in in Canada we do not have turbo city. What is the brand and name of your intake, that will help me for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.