Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Young 5.2 Build thread

6K views 75 replies 7 participants last post by  davidtownsend 
#1 ·
(I haven't been super thorough on everything I've done since I'm writing this build thread a year and a half after I got it. Sorry ahead of time for the quality of the pictures. They were all taken on my phone)

I've had jeeps all my life. My first one was an 84 xj. My mom said if I can fix it I can have it. I took it to my high school auto shop and fixed it up! I drove that for a couple years until it died. After that I bought my first zj.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

I drove that for a long time until the tranny died on that one. I bought my newest jeep and gutted the inside of both because the new jeep wasn't pretty.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Then I junked the old zj=(
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Sky

The first thing I did to the new jeep was completely gut it. The only thing I didn't take out was the carpet. I bought 2 bottles of armoral and cleaned the crap out of the new jeep. While I cleaned I installed my deck, speakers, and amps. I have a Sony deck, back to door speakers, and amp. I have Rockford Fosgate tweeters and the front door speakers are Bose. My subs are Jl audio. I also have a street edge amp that I am going to run all my door speakers from.
I took all the side panels and rear bumper cover and spray painted them black so they weren't all faded. I also painted the rims so they would match the side panels. The first stuff I did was mostly cosmetic. Then I did a full tune up. I used synthetic oils and e3 spark plugs(I've read the reviews on them and I'm going back to the champions). Here is it after I finished cleaning it up!
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle

I ordered my 2" bb and a member on here gave me some 31" tires! I bought a set of 15" rims on craigslist for pretty cheap. I believe they are Craiger D-windows.
Automotive tire Vehicle Coil spring Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Sky

The next thing I did was the e-fan conversion. My fan clutch was going out so instead of buying a new one I just went to the junk yard and bought a Ford Taurus fan, I used this write up:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ford-taurus-two-speed-e-fan-install-pics-233676/
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Watercraft Steering wheel

I bought a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler. It is a great combo! I just need to weld it all together instead of the clamps. And my y pipe is crushed on the passenger side. To help my engine breath i made my own cold air intake from Specre parts. it gets the job done.here is what it looks like. maybe i will look for a dokota air hat soon.
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire

My tranny started going bad so I bought one off of eBay and installed it with my friend in a day. I crushed the cps wire and had to buy one of those. I also installed a new tranny cooler. The only bad part is that my transmission slips if you start off slow. The next thing I need to do to it is adjust the bands and my tv cable.

Continued........

See less See more
#62 ·
Ordered boss 4 channel amp and another set of boss component speakers to match the front door speakers. All from sonicelectronix. Next i'm going to but another boss amp to power my two twelve jl and a boss capacitor. I'm also changing out my in dash tweeters to a boss set I bought a while ago. My right one is cracking. I'm trying to change my whole system out to boss.

#63 ·
Thank God I have remote start! This piece in my ignition tumbler broke! This little metal piece that cranks the engine sheered off. It only went into the on position but wouldn't crank the engine. So I had to order a new one and it was one that would match my key. So I had to figure out how to put it together without instructions! That took 2 hours. The hardest post was to find out how to put on these little key reader metal strips. But I got it all together and our works great! Got it off Ebay for 24$! Not to shabby.
Here is the package it came in.
Food Material property Font Cuisine Ingredient

Here are the key strips that I had to match up to the grooves of my key.
Car alarm Eyewear Office supplies Gadget Red

Here is were the piece broke of the tumbler. You can see it on the right side of the tumbler. Wood Engineering Electric blue Machine Plastic

#65 ·
Still haven't gotten around to my headlight upgrade yet. I ordered the summit cap rotor and wires along with the msd ignition coil. I have three days off this week so I'm going to get some dash pieces from the jy that mine are broke. Finish installing my 4 channel amp and change out my stock seat covers. I also have a leak on the passengers side I an going to rtv everything under my windshield wipers. I hate this leak! Hopefully by the end of the week I won't have to work on the Jeep for a while!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.