Yes, it snows in Texas - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Yes, it snows in Texas

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #76
1stblack97ZJ
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Augusta, Maine
Posts: 4,939
Here in NC it is 78* and sunny! Awesome weather.

__________________
1997 ZJ Laredo
4" Lift
32s
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #77
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I know. I'm fully expecting the cold. I just have to get the t-case linkage on the Jeep fixed, as I blew it up last weekend, so I'm stuck in 2wd. Hopefully that will be done this weekend or next, then I can get the tow hooks mounted.
I just hope someone didn't botch your rad support mounting like they did on mine. It was ghetto. The cross support from the fender on the passenger side to the rad support was zip-tied instead of bolted... And the bolt on that side holding the support to the frame was the wrong coarseness so it'd been forced in, then there was like 1/2" of bare metal under the bolt head as it wasn't intended for this use, so it wasn't even tight, and trying to back it out ended up with it snapping off. So it had to be drilled out, which killed several drill bits, darn grade 8 stuff, I'm thinking, and a new nut was placed over the nut welded into the frame, which we'd drilled the bolt out of, and everything was securely torqued down. What a pain the the tail. I never understand the 'let's just use whatever we have lying around even if it's not right' mentality. I do it right and know I won't have to worry about it later down the road.
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #78
squashman702
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Allston, MA
Posts: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I just hope someone didn't botch your rad support mounting like they did on mine. It was ghetto. The cross support from the fender on the passenger side to the rad support was zip-tied instead of bolted... And the bolt on that side holding the support to the frame was the wrong coarseness so it'd been forced in, then there was like 1/2" of bare metal under the bolt head as it wasn't intended for this use, so it wasn't even tight, and trying to back it out ended up with it snapping off. So it had to be drilled out, which killed several drill bits, darn grade 8 stuff, I'm thinking, and a new nut was placed over the nut welded into the frame, which we'd drilled the bolt out of, and everything was securely torqued down. What a pain the the tail. I never understand the 'let's just use whatever we have lying around even if it's not right' mentality. I do it right and know I won't have to worry about it later down the road.
You shouldn't have had to touch the cross supports to install the hooks. I've installed a pair and removed three different sets from other Jeeps and have yet to touch one.
__________________
Think Twice Garage
"I guess I'd just run it?"
squashman702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #79
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
You shouldn't have had to touch the cross supports to install the hooks. I've installed a pair and removed three different sets from other Jeeps and have yet to touch one.
No, but I had to touch that one because it was zip-tied instead of bolted. Which turns out was part of why it made a clunking sound when making tight turns. The frame would tweak just enough without that support that two frame points would rub in one corner, just enough to drive me crazy trying to track down the source of the noise. It's nothing, but I thought it was something. The cross support being securely bolted made it go away. Go figure.
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #80
biggoofy
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Troy, NC Uwharrie
Posts: 4,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
Here in NC it is 78* and sunny! Awesome weather.
not on the coast lol 3 feet of water haha
__________________
[CENTER]Zack

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]


Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #81
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stamford, CT / Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,275
I'm gathering yours was in a front end accident at some point Snowleopard? I know mine hasn't had any body work in there.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #82
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I'm gathering yours was in a front end accident at some point Snowleopard? I know mine hasn't had any body work in there.
There was nothing in the Carfax report, and it looked mint when I bought it. There was no unibody damage at all. It just seemed like some redneck backyard mechanic worked on it once upon a time. But yeah, if they were in an accident and it was minor enough, they might've fixed it themselves and never reported it. There's really no telling with a 13+ year old vehicle. At least I've worked out all the kinks now...for now.
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #83
squashman702
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Allston, MA
Posts: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
There was nothing in the Carfax report, and it looked mint when I bought it. There was no unibody damage at all. It just seemed like some redneck backyard mechanic worked on it once upon a time. But yeah, if they were in an accident and it was minor enough, they might've fixed it themselves and never reported it. There's really no telling with a 13+ year old vehicle. At least I've worked out all the kinks now...for now.
Could've been a radiator replacement out of the bottom at some point. Doesn't make much sense but one could do it that way.
__________________
Think Twice Garage
"I guess I'd just run it?"
squashman702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #84
1stblack97ZJ
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Augusta, Maine
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
not on the coast lol 3 feet of water haha
Bummer
__________________
1997 ZJ Laredo
4" Lift
32s
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #85
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
If it doesn't snow here soon, I'm going to go stir crazy. I want to see the epic snows of last winter repeat themselves. So very much fun were they.
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #86
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
Well, we got some snow last night and throughout the day. It melted more than it stuck after the temp warmed up this morning, but I got pics when I went out to clear off the Jeep so I could head to work.

Two before I cleared it off;





And now cleared off;



I know it's not really exciting, but most of the stuff was melted from the streets and only remaining on grass and houses along with trees by the time I got off work this evening. It was also dark. I drove around a bit, but there was nothing worthy of wheelin' so I just came home.
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #87
bumzo1
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,085
Where are you located? in DFW we haven't gotten a flurry of snow
__________________
'05 WK 3.7L | OME MD lift | 255/75/17 BFG M/Ts | 20" LED Light Bar
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #88
vanillathrilla
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,203
We got about 4-5 inches here on Thursday but the roads are already cleared today. Sucks! I wasted most of the day Thursday working when everyone else called in. I could have been out playing in the TJ!
__________________
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #89
bumzo1
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
We got about 4-5 inches here on Thursday but the roads are already cleared today. Sucks! I wasted most of the day Thursday working when everyone else called in. I could have been out playing in the TJ!
That's the problem with jeeps, you can't call in and say you're stuck
__________________
'05 WK 3.7L | OME MD lift | 255/75/17 BFG M/Ts | 20" LED Light Bar
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #90
SnowLeopard
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
Where are you located? in DFW we haven't gotten a flurry of snow
I live in the northwest Panhandle. We tend to get a lot more snow up here than you all do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
That's the problem with jeeps, you can't call in and say you're stuck
You're telling me. My boss called to make sure I was going to be able to get out okay today to get to work. I was like...I'm the one that hauled everyone, EVERYONE, around to and from work and to run errands and such last winter when the big snows hit. Me and my Jeep with bald Michelin MTS 235's did it. Her FWD Pontiac Torrent, unable to get 2 feet. The others' 2wd Tahoe, 2wd Dakota, Pontiac van thingmabopper...no go. But sure, 5 inches of wet snow is going to stop me Jeep now with new 30.5" AT's. I didn't even need 4wd for goodness sake. Obviously. So yeah, no calling in saying you can't get to work. Btw, she's got a Cadillac SRX with AWD now. So she's lovin' that and thinking she's got it made. LOL I will say that it has impressive ground clearance for a crossover, but the fact is that it's still a CUV and yet it gets perhaps 22-23mpg at best. I'm not sure what the point of the trade-off is. For that it cost, I'd have bought a Limited WKII. She liked how it looked though, and that was her only deciding factor in buying it...
__________________
Yes, it snows in Texas.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.