Yes, it snows in Texas - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Yes, it snows in Texas

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #31
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Time for more pics... I didn't get any wheelin' though. I was working, hauling around co-workers and the boss, and lugging around newspapers that were late getting delivered due to the weather and roads being closed. So I spent my Saturday on the clock and not free to have fun. When I did get off work and go to play, I didn't have someone to take pictures or video for me, and I forgot to get some pics of my Jeep in the messy stuff. Ah well. Here's what I did get over the past few days, that which I haven't shared yet.

Some are random shots from the area to give perspective of how things've been. All of this is after the storm, the day after, or the day after that. I don't think I have anymore here from the day of the storm.

How I found my Jeep the morning after the snow had stopped. This was after having cleaned it off before I got home the night before, which was probably the 5th time I'd cleaned her off that day.

I had to take the papers to the post office today, which isn't usually my job, and I snapped some pics.

Behind the newspaper, this guy's truck wasn't going anywhere. Actually, he got dug out eventually.

Looking down the highway yesterday(the 29th), which was still closed today. Trucks lined the sides as police and deputies turned traffic around.

And here are a couple of my Jeep behind the paper where I loaded up newspapers to take to the Post Office and around town. We're always on call, us newspaper warriors. We get the printed word to the masses no matter what. Tow rope strung out on my roof rack from the night before, lol.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #32
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If there are any , please destroy pic's of you being pulled out by a Hummer.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #33
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
If there are any , please destroy pic's of you being pulled out by a Hummer.
Don't worry. God but that was embarrassing. I have to get those running boards off, too. I just wish I had some sliders to replace them. Only because they're great for getting mud and snow off your shoes/boots before you get in. And I got enough mess in there even still. But sliders are not at the top of my list of mods. Right now tires are what's most needed. Then a lift. Oh man do I need to get at least a couple more inches of ground clearance. This getting stuck is for the birds.

Unread 01-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #34
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Looks like you had a lot of fun today!!!
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #35
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Well, it rained for most of the day. Then this afternoon the rain turned to snow. It's snowed 5-6" since then and doesn't show any signs of stopping. I am supposed to get my new 30x9.5x15 Firestone Destination AT's tomorrow. That is if the truck bringing them can make it in. I hope the roads are clear.

I will have to share pictures when I get them on. I wish I had a lift so I could get 31's, but I need tires, and a lift would cost more than the tires are going to, and I'd still need tires. So I do what I gotta do.

Unread 02-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #36
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Another 7-8" fell between yesterday afternoon and this morning. I spent until midnight helping someone get their 2wd pickup out of the street. I'll get pics up later.

Unread 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #37
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

It always amuses me that a storm like this CRIPPLES somewhere like Texas, but would probably only be a few hours worth of delays in New England.
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #38
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Snowed here this morning...all melted now
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #39
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
It always amuses me that a storm like this CRIPPLES somewhere like Texas, but would probably only be a few hours worth of delays in New England.
We're just not setup for it like you all are, but I recall New England being crippled multiple times over the past 10 years when you had major snows, 12" or more. Snow removal budgets were drained, people acted as if the end of the world was here. I'd watch the news and wonder...doesn't New England always have harsh winters? Come on people.

Yes, it's ridiculous how it cripples places like the Texas Panhandle. People don't have 4x4's and think they're frivolous. Then this happens and they all want one. LOL This is the most severe winter we've had, starting in January as our winter was pretty mild up until then, in years. Oh, and 4x4 pickups don't do well in the snow either, no weight in the back, and half are AWD and not true 4x4's anymore. No LSD's either, not even in the rear axle. What the heck? Pickups are panzy vehicles these days. They became mainstream like Hummers and the work trucks they used to be were transformed into...something.

Edit: Btw, this 7-8" was on top of an inch of rain that fell yesterday on top of the 13" of snow that had only half melted since it fell last week. Trees are snapping under the weight of this heavy, wet snow, utility and power poles are snapping, it's a fiasco.

Unread 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #40
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Most pickups are AWD? huh?
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #41
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouLouWJ View Post
Most pickups are AWD? huh?
A lot of pickup owners around here buy AWD versions instead of 4wd. Yes, I can't believe there is such a thing either, but they're rampant in these parts. A true transfer case is opted out for a more fuel efficient LSD type setup. There's no shifting into 4wd-hi. It's always in AWD. I know a lot of people with trucks like this. They don't have rear LSD's either. They have little traction, and can't pull crap out of snow. They're cushy pickup-wannabees.

Heck, a lot of them have AWD that is really 2wd with an electronic transfer of torque when slip is detected, so they're not AWD all the time.

Also, my boss is currently test driving and thinking about buying an Escalade version of a truck. You've no idea how ridiculous that thing looks. 20" rims in chrome with rubber bands for tires and AWD, no real transfer case.

Unread 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

I don't view the Escalade EXT as a "pickup". I'm thinking Ford F series, Ram's, and Silverados.....all of which come with real tcases?
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #43
2tone93zj
1993 ZJ 

wow you guys have more snow then we do in Manitoba canada

Wanted: 93-95 Keyless entry fob

BUILT NOT BOUGHT #204
2tone93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #44
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouLouWJ View Post
I don't view the Escalade EXT as a "pickup". I'm thinking Ford F series, Ram's, and Silverados.....all of which come with real tcases?
They're supposed to, but I know someone with a Silverado that's AWD, and I think it's not an LSD type of center diff but one that transfers torque electronically when it senses slip. Oh, and being the kind guy he is with this 'truck', when I got stuck in a snowdrift last year (I think sometimes you just need 10" of ground clearance to get over snow), he wouldn't come tow me out. I spent over an hour digging in a blizzard to get myself out. He was afraid his pickup would get stuck, too. Pathetic if a HUGE pickup like can't get through a couple feet of snow. But a lot around these parts are like that, AWD of some sort if not just 2wd. The interiors are more cushy than an '04 Overland, too.

They're like CUV's. It looks kind of like a pickup but has none of the utility.

Unread 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #45
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.