wrangler duratrac or BFG All Terrains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > wrangler duratrac or BFG All Terrains

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Dukcaln

wrangler duratrac or BFG All Terrains

so I have narrowed it down to two tires, either the wrangler duratrac or the good ole BFG All terrain

31-10.50-15's

those who have ran both please chime in, those who have not I would still like your opinions

http://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/ima...r-DuraTrac.jpg

http://utvweekly.com/wp-content/uplo.../11/BFG-at.jpg

Unread 09-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Every one I have known has told me the bfg's are horrible in the rain. Just hydroplains all aver. My tire whole saler sells lots of kelly's though infact we stock more kelly brand mud tires than anything else.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Id say go with the wranglers every truck I see with bfg's is a pavement princess I never see a 4x4 with bfg's just my opinion though.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Dukcaln

I am leaning towards the wranglers. I have heard that about the BFG's and rain. I do know they can get some good miles out of them if rotated, but I am sure that is true with the wranglers too. The wranglers are a tad more aggressive, which I like and it will see some mud during hunting season, ducks and dear!
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Never had a problem with my BFG's. Made it through everything that comparable sized Jeeps made it through with anything from mud terrains to super swampers. I haven't had any problems with them trying to hydroplane either but they're all I've ran on mine so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Id say go with the wranglers every truck I see with bfg's is a pavement princess I never see a 4x4 with bfg's just my opinion though.
Here ya go
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Lol first for me.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Glad you took that as a joke like it was meant lol.
On topic, I'm curious about some reviews on the Goodyear's too. Planning on a lift and a set of more aggressive tires and I've been looking at them too
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Dukcaln

txbass, I hear ya, I want to kind of go with something more aggressive looking without getting too rough of a ride like a typical mud tire. I think the wranglers will have a more beefy look but the BFG may run a tad better on the road.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I run bfg 33s and have never had hydroplaning issues in my jeeps or my Toyota. I've gone in and through about as much slop as one could imagine as well. Also got about 80k out of each set. I have no experience with the duratracs, but I wouldn't buy a set just because I don't like the look of the tread pattern. They may work great, just not my taste.

If I wanted more aggressive without compromising the ride I would consider the Mickey Thompson ATZ or MTZ line however they areole pricey from what I've seen.

But again, my BFGs have never failed me. So they will always get my vote if I don't want a true mud terrain.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

ive run several sets of BFGs...never had a rain issue. i have gotten close to 80k miles on the set of my Titan
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Duratracs have this side walls. I think they maybe 2ply.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
2xCross

BFG's are solid tires and definetly have loyal followers, I have had 3-4 sets nice all around tires(if they weren't they wouldn't still be making them from the 80's) Duratracs (315/70/17)on the JKU do fine on the road, snow and do decent when aired down in the dunes. They haven't seen any rock or real mud yet
2xCross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

I do have to add that I am running Hankooks on my current ZJ. Im lovin them so far. better reviews than BFGs
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Dukcaln

duratracs do allow for airing down pretty low, do the bfgs have the side walls for that?
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukcaln View Post
duratracs do allow for airing down pretty low, do the bfgs have the side walls for that?
Duratracs are cheap tires with 2ply. Almost all truck tires are at least 3. I certainly wouldn't run them on any rocks or even medium off roading.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.