JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   WJ=Wifes Jeep. WJChris' Slow Build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/wj-wifes-jeep-wjchris-slow-build-1032823/)

WJChris 05-15-2010 04:35 PM

WJ=Wifes Jeep. WJChris' Slow Build

I never thought I would do this, but I like the idea of having something to look back at down the road.

The WJ was purchased sometime in 2006, to be the Wife's Jeep. Since then she has started commuting, so I get the Jeep now! My first mod was a BB from the classifieds and I rode that for a couple months until I couldn't stand the DT8000 shocks anymore. The next year or so the Jeep remained stock.

A few months ago I decided the family needed a way to get out and explore. My plans are to keep with a more expedition type Jeep. I always liked the idea of running around the mountains for days, without seeing anyone else.

First, the budget will only allow for a mild 3" lift. I opted to contact Nick at Kolak and he sent me over some OME 3" coils, JKS trackbar, and Rubicon Express shocks. Now I can fit the 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2 tires.

Next, i had some free time to raise the gas tank, since the spare no longer fit inside, and the idea to use it as storage didn't suit me because I don't like the idea of having to pull everything out to get under the floor.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Images are here:

http://photobucket.com/WJGasTank

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Next we cut the factory skid out along the sides, then we drilled a 2" hole and 1.25" holes where the hoses are to run through the "frame". We decided it best to run some pipe as conduit through the bare holes. Next we trimmed the filler tubes to prevent the hose from kinking. Next we removed the filler neck and cut it to length.

Once the skid was out, it was time to cut it up and re-attach it. We cut out about 6 inches. After we welded it and re-painted it, we raised it up, installed the gas lines and inside filler lines

Now since I have no spare, I ordered the KOR stealth rear bumper with tire carrier and the roof rack from Kolak. I will update in a couple months after I get them installed.

JeepontheRocks 05-15-2010 06:50 PM

Looks good! :thumbsup: I was planning on doing the gas tank raise once I build a tire carrier so I have somewhere to put the spare.

justkiddin 05-15-2010 07:59 PM

It does look good :thumbsup:

WJChris 05-22-2010 03:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Still waiting for some parts, so I decided to add some "camping" lights to the rear hatch.

theksmith 05-22-2010 03:38 PM

i like those camping lights! i was planning to do the same thing, but with a strip from oznium.com... where did you get those flush mount pods?

WJChris 05-22-2010 03:47 PM

I found them at Home Depot. $35 for the set. During the day, they don't do much. I was a little bummed, but when I lit them up at night, WOW!

I had to take them apart to mount them flush, its was easy to figure out.

Hampton Bay 3-light LED Task and accent lighting kit PN: 980 984

MoonyJohn 05-22-2010 06:24 PM

Thats a neat idea! I actually might use this hatch on my dub since it works, might end up doing this someday. How easy was it to install for wiring? Did the wiring make it to the battery?

WJChris 05-23-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 9506703)
How easy was it to install for wiring? Did the wiring make it to the battery?

Very easy. I pulled the +12v from the outlet already there. Its fused for 20A, and the lights are only .1A each. I pulled 2 18ga wires up the C pillar, across the top and fished them through the stock rubber boot that is used for the rest of the hatch electronics. Make sure you plan on some sort of disconnect in the wire near the hatch, so you can pull the trim and not have to cut the wires!

Whiskeypete 05-23-2010 06:47 PM

looks really good chris....looking forward to seeing the transformation

RedRock527 05-24-2010 06:58 PM

I wish the ZJ's had a cig lighter in the back...

Looks really nice. :thumbsup:

ras2001wj 05-24-2010 09:41 PM

where are the lit up pics? :D

straty1987 05-24-2010 10:01 PM

lights look good. have any night pics?

how many LED's are there in every assemble?
how hard was it to get the wire going down the hatch form the top?

did you remove any of the stuff that's in the hatch?

Thanks

GhostKnife 05-24-2010 10:16 PM

NICE build so far, loving the lights!

WJChris 05-24-2010 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ras2001wj (Post 9518152)
where are the lit up pics? :D

See attahced, my pictures didnt come out too nice. there are nicer images in the other thread here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...ights-1031311/

Quote:

Originally Posted by straty1987 (Post 9518288)
lights look good. have any night pics?

how many LED's are there in every assemble?
how hard was it to get the wire going down the hatch form the top?

did you remove any of the stuff that's in the hatch?

Thanks

10 LED's per light. The wiring was extremely easy, the upper C pillar panel pulls right off, the rear header panel also just pulls off. The only screws were on the lower rear panels, and the door.

I didn't remove anything from stock, just patched this in.

straty1987 05-24-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJChris (Post 9518718)
10 LED's per light. The wiring was extremely easy, the upper C pillar panel pulls right off, the rear header panel also just pulls off. The only screws were on the lower rear panels, and the door.

I didn't remove anything from stock, just patched this in.

thanks, ill get to this some day lol. been working on off road lights in the front and make making the jeep more trail ready.

but i thought it would be a little hard getting the cable down the hatch panel

The time now is 08:23 AM.