WJ Beginners Build Thread: light/medium duty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > WJ Beginners Build Thread: light/medium duty

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

WJ Beginners Build Thread: light/medium duty

Hi all,

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a pick up truck for quite some time, but after watching prices remain strangly high for early 2000 era trucks, I've come to find that I could buy a nice WJ, do some mild work to it, and buy a trailer for when I need to haul big stuff, and still end up saving money vs. buying a truck.

Plus, I think a blacked out, slightly lifted WJ looks amazing. Plus this will be a great excuse to get into some offroading (I have a few friends into it, but have never had my own rig). I need to keep it mild though, as it will be my daily driver, I don't commute much, so I'm not too worried about modifying it a bit, it will be fun to take on road trips too go wheeling and what not.

Here are my plans:
  1. Buy a WJ (sold my car, so now I've got the cash for one). I'm still stuck between the I6 and V8, at first I was all about the I6 for a bit better gas mileage and also b/c everyone says its bullet proof, but I've been reading that once the jeep is lifted with big tires, the gas mileage is almost the same. And also if its lifted, the I6 becomes a dog, which would be a problem for me as I will occasionally be towing a car. So I'm leaning towards the V8. It seems to be pretty reliable as well.
    I'm hoping to get one thats all black, 2002 and up, black leather interior. So I think this means that I need either the Limited or Overland edition. I've found a ton with less than 140k miles for about $4k, but its difficult to find a black one, but I'm holding out until I do.
  2. Imediately install either the Iron Rock Off Road 3" or 4" lift. Leaning toward the 3" with adjustable front track bar simply because its a bit cheaper. And I don't plan on running more than 31" tires at this time.
  3. JKS Quicker Disconnects
  4. 17x8ish wheels. not sure which brand, but will definitely be black. Not sure which tires yet, feel free to make a recommendation, I think 31" will be my limit on size, could possibly do 32" but want something that is good for daily driving, so nothing extreme tread-wise
  5. Gen3 black xenon headlights
  6. Clean up the engine bay if its not already clean, get it some fresh air, still need to research what kits have good reviews.
  7. Computer to be able to tune a bit and adjust speedo for the bigger wheels, still need to research this in depth. Feel free to offer up some input.
  8. Navigation/Double Din headunit, upgrade speakers, but nothing too extreme.
  9. Then, once its all sorted on that I'd like to make my own front and rear bumpers and rock sliders, I just got a new welder and I need something to practice on

I'll be posting up pics as I go, I hope to actually buy the WJ within 2 weeks.

My biggest inspiration is Akro's Build ,so don't be too surpised if it ends up looking similar (Sorry Akro).
Here is a pic of his:

I'm always looking for input/feedback/recomendations/constructive criticism, so don't be afraid to post up.

Thanks

TwinchargedRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Who says the I6 gets better MPG than the V8? I average 18mpg weekly, ~22 highway, 15 town.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
cruzer23

if i were u i would go with the overland. already has rock sliders and the high output v8. it will have 17" wheels, chrome, but u could plasti dip them the day u get them as either a permanent fix or to get u by till u get what u want.

though something to consider, 15" tires cost less than 17-18" tires

once i lift mine im going wrangler duratracs. what sold me was jeep magazines review saying its the best all terrain tire in the mud and is great in snow ice and rain
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...duratrac_tire/

i had bridgestone revo 2, and i loved them. i felt invincible in rain snow and ice. we dont get too much down here but i could never get them to slide. i think the original bridgestone revo is actually better than the revo 2

the computer everyone runs is superchips, here is the cheapest price i have found and i will have it one day
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VZL2LO/..._df_B001VZL2LO
cruzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

Awesome, thanks guys. I've been reading about the duratracs as well, they look like a great tire. I've thought about 15" wheels as well, but I haven't done much research, I tend to like wheels similar to the ones in the pic above, rather than steelies, but if I could get 15" rims that would clear the brakes that looked somewhat similar and blacked out I might go that route instead.

And regarding the gas mileage, its strange, now that I've done some research the V8 seems just as good as the I6 on gas (especially if lifted with big tires), so the V8 really does seem like the best option for me, especially since its got the 6,500 lb towing capacity, which is more than likely more than enough capacity for me.
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

I have a 04 laredo V8. Love it. Currently getting 16+ in town. I dont take it on the HW much because it not the way to work. You can feel the power behind the motor and i love the feeling i get driving it. I also 265/75/16 Geolander A/T on it and they work great.
(i wont mention that i got these tires for a steal by my neighbor. all 4 for 200$ brand new )

If i were you and you had the choice. Go with the V8. you wont regret your decision.
(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

Ok I found a 2001 Limited w/ V8 package locally.

Looks like its a good one, and its cheap. But the owners said he replaced the diff last month (has a receipt that he is going to show me), but he said it needs an adjustment. I don't have a problem taking it somewhere and having it adjusted (I'm guessing he means shimming it correctly), but does this sound like something that could be a problem?
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

I think I found the rims I'd like to get. Are Method Race Wheels a good company?

17" diameter, 8.5" wide, 4.75" backspace. Still looking at tires, need something that will be good on the highway but not horrible on the trail. Hopefully 31" in diameter, wide enough to stick out just a little.

Any opinions on this type of setup?
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Those are nice. $200 ea. If you wheel them I hope you don't mind dents and gouges in them. I would love really nice rims but with the number of times I have had to hammer the lips straight on my steelies I'm better off with them.
gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I like those too... but soft 8s are alot more practical financially if you wheel.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
I like those too... but soft 8s are alot more practical financially if you wheel.
qftt
(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

Thanks guys. I do plan to get into wheeling in the future, so I might need to rethink it. I don't mind a few scratches, afterall, they're just rims, but if I end up somewhere where they really get beat up then that'd be a shame.

Maybe I'll start off with some Super 8's and save up for a set like this dedicated to daily driving/light duty offroading.

Still looking for the WJ though, can't go see the one I mentioned above until next Tuesday. It's a 2001 and I kind of liked the idea of the 2002 and up style guages, is it possible to swap these out? Need to figure out if I should jump on the 2001, or wait around until I can find a 2002 or newer.
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

Got my WJ today

Picked up a 2002 Limited, black on black with the HO V8 and Quadradrive system. 114k miles, looks to be well taken care of, and the HVAC all works, so the flapper door has either been replaced or hasn't broken yet. Got it for $4,500. I'm sure theirs been better deals, but I feel like I got a pretty decent/fair price on it.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Already ordered my Gen3 black projector headlight kit, and will be ordering an IRO lift next week.

Next on my list are:
- Change all fluids, change spark plugs
- Pioneer double din head unit with Navi (with homemade bezel)
- Superchips computer
- Cold air filter kit (will be homemade)
- Rims/Tires (currently has the 17" crome rims from the limited package with nice tires, I'll probably end up waiting until the tires wear out before I lift it and put new wheels on)
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
sal4m4nd3r
2004 WJ 

good deal?? YEAH ID SAY SO. lol I just paid 10k for my 2004 Limited V8 with quadradrive. I do live in a market where everything is overpriced..including salaries so I guess that accounts for some..but AWESOME FIND. pictures??
sal4m4nd3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinchargedRX7 View Post
Got my WJ today

Picked up a 2002 Limited, black on black with the HO V8 and Quadradrive system. 114k miles, looks to be well taken care of, and the HVAC all works, so the flapper door has either been replaced or hasn't broken yet. Got it for $4,500. I'm sure theirs been better deals, but I feel like I got a pretty decent/fair price on it.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Already ordered my Gen3 black projector headlight kit, and will be ordering an IRO lift next week.

Next on my list are:
- Change all fluids, change spark plugs
- Pioneer double din head unit with Navi..meh.. (with homemade bezel)
- Superchips computer dont do it, its a waste
- Cold air filter kit (will be homemade) .. Just clean the throttle body and get a washable life time warranty filter. K&N
- Rims/Tires (currently has the 17" crome rims from the limited package with nice tires, I'll probably end up waiting until the tires wear out before I lift it and put new wheels on)

If you want to wheel it. Focus on that. Find a local guy that does fab work. Get side rails, skid plates, bumpers..? Maybe a roof rack for the recovery equipment.

GOOD LUCK MAN!

Unread 10-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Hey also look into treadwrights. Good reviews on them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.