WJ on 35s. Custom built bumpers, roof rack, sliders, etc - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > WJ on 35s. Custom built bumpers, roof rack, sliders, etc

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #31
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

That looks awesome! The further you build the more I like it!

2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

any plans to reproduce that bumper?
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #33
MIKEJONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
any plans to reproduce that bumper?
The front? Theyre custom, i'd have to get $1400 for it in black or $1500 color matched. It would be 3/16" and also have shackle mounts.
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
MIKEJONES

I couldn't find a hitch hauler that I liked, so I ended up making one. It's quite a bit bigger than most store bought units. I incorporated a spot to pin in my bicycle rack, and removable pieces that sit in the floor to haul my welding/torch/propane bottles to get filled. Also added plenty of tie downs and a tailgate fire/ice bar seeing as it will stay attached most of the time. I'll get some pictures of it sometime.

Here's a teaser on the roof rack.
1380507_10201304264541844_1100395220_n.jpg  
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Can I see some more pics of how you mounted that light bar?
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
Zackai
2002 WJ 

You dont happen to have the plans laying around for that front bumper do you? Would love to get my local machine shop to fab that up for me!! Looks amazing!
Zackai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
MIKEJONES

Timbo24 - The picture in this post of the roof rack on the lift should answer your question. It was mounted at the front on the tabs that stick out wider than everything else.

Still need to get everything wired up, and lights in the square holes, but otherwise the roof rack is pretty complete.

The boxes on the sides of the rack have led's in them to light up the letters at night.
Holds my Viair 444 compressor, 5gallon tank, solenoid, and horns. A 3.5'x2.5' empty spot at the front for hauling things.

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Looks awesome!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
MIKEJONES

Thanks.

Managed to get almost all the wiring complete today. Wiring all this crap up (right) has been a pita! But the end result looks good so I wont complain too much.

I used the last two little square lights I had on the rear, i'll put the other 4 in when I make fill up on inventory.

Switches. The circle glows when it's on. On the left side of the dash, the top switch is my green lights, the left is my left fog lights in the roof rack, bottom is rear fogs in rack and right is passenger fogs in rack. The switch on the right of the dash operates my bumper lights. I've been wanting to use these switches since I saw them afew months back, and they look and work just like I want them to. But they were the biggest pain in the *** to wire up! I wouldn't use them again because of that. They are 5 prong, and the back of the switch is the size of a dime, almost mandatory to solder leads onto the prongs.

better shot of a couple lit up

And a lot of people have been asking how I was going to get wires from the cab to the rack....here ya go. Rear hatch by the hinge. Drill a hole, run wires, and liberally apply silicone. Because of where the hole is, I doubt it would have leaked much, and if it did it wouldn't have gotten into the cab because of the double-pane sheetmetal. More of a reason for me to put the silicone was because I couldn't de-bur the holes from the inside.
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
MIKEJONES

Well this update isn't nearly as cool as the others, but aside from the on-board air it's what I needed the most. Finally got my hitch hauler finished and lined. I couldn't find any production units that were big enough so I decided to make my own. The inside of the basket measures 26" x 5'. It is pretty big, so I plan on adding a back up camera sometime to keep me from backing into things when I forget it's on there.

I plan to leave it hooked up almost all the time, so I added a fire/ice bar that normally goes under tailgates for some rear running/brake/blinker lights, as well as some running lights on the sides.

Made sure to have plenty of tie down points

Finally welded on some tow points to my hitch, they double as stabilizer points for the hitch hauler.

Bike rack attaches no problem. The arms fold down, and the rack is hinged so it can lean towards the rear to still open the hatch without having to take the rack off.

Probably my favorite part of the rack, bottle holders. They have long pins in them that locate in holes I drilled in the support bars. It's able to fit 2 of my large oxy/acy bottles or my little bottles like this one. Slide the attachments in, set the bottles on, strap them down, and youre good to go!

Haven't added any interior pictures yet, because it's mostly stock and will prolly remain that way. But here's the front, dark grey leather seats from an 04 I swapped in as well as one of my best investments; my Weathertech Floor matts. They're $100 for front and about the same for the rear, but they are worth every penny. Fitment is wonderful.

Rear seats with Weathertech matts

Switched all my dome lights out to led's. Super bright, not sure if that's good or bad lol. Cops can definitely see everything inside at night, even with the dark tint.

One of my buddies did this to his truck and I really liked the idea. He used purple, but I prefer the white for better vision. Ran some LED strip lights under my floorpans, and hooked them up to my interior dome lights. At night when the door is opened, or when you hit the unlock button on the key fob they light up just like the interior lights. Keeps you from stepping in/on something you don't want to.

I had planned at first to put the lights on the bottom of my door sills also, but that was way too much work for the end result haha. ( I don't have map pocket lights, so I would have had to run the wiring through the doors to the cab.)

As always, the camera doesn't do the light near the justice it deserves. The light extends about 5' to the side of the vehicle, which is plenty good for me.

One of my favorite pics. No roof rack in this one, but it came out good

Next on my list is to make some 40" light bar mounts. The light bar will sit at the top of the windshield, like most other vehicles, instead of ontop of the roof. Thinking about making afew extra sets if anyone is interested, prolly be about $140 or so.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

I might be interested in some mounts. Also weird question but did you ever have an issue with car washes with your bar on your roof. I just mounted mine, and am a little scared of an automated car wash. Thanks
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #42
MIKEJONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo24 View Post
I might be interested in some mounts. Also weird question but did you ever have an issue with car washes with your bar on your roof. I just mounted mine, and am a little scared of an automated car wash. Thanks
Yeah, there's no way I am going through one of those things haha. Actually I bet they would not let you go through at the drive-thru styles that have a full time employee.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #43
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJONES View Post

Probably my favorite part of the rack, bottle holders. They have long pins in them that locate in holes I drilled in the support bars. It's able to fit 2 of my large oxy/acy bottles or my little bottles like this one. Slide the attachments in, set the bottles on, strap them down, and youre good to go!
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but are you sure that's a legal way to transport compressed gas cylinders? I'd hate to see you get fined if it's not.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #44
MIKEJONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but are you sure that's a legal way to transport compressed gas cylinders? I'd hate to see you get fined if it's not.
Technically they're suspose to be vertical when they are in transport.

I'm not worried about it though, it's either do it that way or put them in the cabin.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #45
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

As if our exploding rear gas tanks were enough of a deterrent...I doubt you will find anyone following your WJ closely...haha.

I really like the work you have done, absolutely sweet rack and lighting!
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.