The rear I am goo.g to do similar to the way Saturn did it on the white whale and as for the front I am cutting out most of the inner wheel well and coil bucket and making some hoops and a spreader bar.
im thinking about doing that for the front too, and same for the rear.
have you spun the top adjusting plate for the upper coil?
mine is really hard to spin, i cant do it with my hands, what would you use to move it? kinda in a pickle.
99 WJ hp44, 3 link, Eaton e locker, 14" foa coilovers in the front. 14 bolt, 4 link, grizzly locker, 12" foa coilovers in the rear. 5.38s and 37s
I believe its time for an open discussion on the direction my jeep is going.
Option 1 continue on current path with coilovered one ton wj.
Option 2 take all my parts that I have and build a all out hardcore rockcrawling buggy.
Like this one.
that is 100% dependent on you and what direction you are looking to go with your wheeling. Trailer only no matter what? ****ty cold/wet weatherability? Expedition type wheeling where you need to carry all your gear with you to camp for days on end?
I mostly enjoy the KOH style wheeling. Big rocks and hauling ***. The cold/wet doesn't bother me. Here in Texas the state is very lenient on what they will consider street legal. So theoretically I could have a street legal rock crawler. The trails that I hit 70% of the time are about 20 minutes from my door. The other 30% of the time I would rather trailer it anyways just so that I don't have to worry about how I am gong to get home if I do have a major failure.
Marc I could only imagine what the shipping would be on 5 37'' km2's.
Build a buggy. They're a bit more capable than a built WJ and are pretty much unstoppable on a lot of terrain. You'll have a lot into your WJ (look at Agitated Pancakes build!) plus the WJ (after the tons and huge tires) weighs an *** load. Drop weight and get flexed in a buggy or stay heavy and a little more limited in a full size Jeep.
After spending a day reading Bill Vista's write ups on building his buggy it seems very worthwhile to pursue that path and the rest of the Pirate crowd would probably agree.
I'm not sure why everyone holds onto their WJ's because it's "unusual" when the more important thing to consider is functionality when considering hardcore wheeling.