Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wj on 1ton dana 60's

78K views 263 replies 52 participants last post by  Camaro187 
#1 ·
Have decided that its time to do a build thread on my wj.
what to expect to see out of this build
Stage 1. full width Dana 60's, PSC full hydro steer, 14" travel coilovers
Stage 2 custom rear bumper, an exo-cage
Somewhere in the mix I will be installing an Atlas II tcase 5:1 low range.

Please keep the general chitchat to a minimum. Technical questions are welcomed.
The Jeep was stock when I bought it. Since then and now I have put on the 4" RC lift, ARB front bumper, Iceland off-road fender flairs, iron rock off road t case skid, custom rock sliders, and also swapped the NP 247 for the NP 231.

#5 ·
Paid 900 after shipping for it. After having it on trails I have mixed feelings about it. It looks good and is strong (its already taken out a minivan) but it sticks out so far and it doesn't protect the radiator support at all. Which a few months ago I was trying to crawl on to the track of a Crane my tire slid a little bit and put a small dent in my radiator support.

#10 ·
Took a little mini-vacation over the weekend. On the way I decided to stop and look at my donor pickup that I'm getting the axles from. Was supposed to be a 79 f350 and this is what I saw.

I was a little disappointed when I saw it. I was really disappointed when I looked underneath and saw this.

Did some calling around found another Ford with Dana 60's. Going next Monday to look at it and make sure it is what I want.
Talked to F.O.A. Friday about my order and they are still 4 weeks out.

My girlfriend decided that she waznted to trade in her civic si and get a Jeep this is what she bought.

#11 ·
after hours of searching locally and on the internet i have finally found the axles that i am looking for. a set of 78-79 f350 Dana 60"s. after getting several price quotes i have decided that it will be more cost effective to drive to Mississippi to pick them up this weekend.

one big benefit of driving to go get them is i get to see my grandmother and my dad

#12 ·
Very nice!

I'm subscribed. I'm swapping axles soon too.

What size tires are you gunna run?

How was the np231 swap? And what year, tj I'm guessing did it come from. Just making sure before I go buy mine.

And coilover question, did you get the remote res? I was at koh and they had a booth, they looked very nice. Debating on some for the front of my Wj. What spring rate did you go with?

#13 ·
i haven't decided on tires just yet either 35's or 37's. my np231 actually came out of an xj not really sure of the year of the xj. according to the tag on the tcase it was a 95 model. the swab was pretty easy. the best way that i found to do it was jack up the tranny cross-member remove the out side bolt from both sides and move the inside bolts to the out side screw them in 5-6 rounds and slowly lower the tcase/tranny. this helps tremendously with getting to the top nuts on the tcase. granted its still a little tricky to get to but much easier. the hardest part was splitting the np247 to get the input shaft.
the coilovers that i got are the remote res. i have not ordered my springs yet. lol haven't ever weighed it yet to get a start on which springs that i will need .

#15 ·
With 60s, you should get at least 37s. If you wanted 35s, you could have done Dana 44 and 9 inch rear.

Ugh. I'm jealous of your coilovers. I really want some. So foa is 4 weeks out just on the coilovers? Dang. I guess I shoukd order them soon rather than later!

#14 ·
Can you post or send me some close up shots of the iceland flares and ARB bumper? I am thinking about adding them to mine and would like to see the combo as they are made for their bumper and appear to hang over a little.

#17 ·
Why are you going to go with an Atlas? You could almost get a NVG241 for less than half the price and regear to get close to that crawl ratio. Just another option you can look at! Plus, 5:1 seems too low but then again they have a 3:1 so nevermind :p

#18 ·
Front digs! I wheeled with my buddy in an xterra. He had an atlas in the snow and it was !mazing for the use of a winch. Lock the rear, dig with the front. Gives you a better stance to pull without sliding.

Also, in tight situations, you can turn on a dime. And 5:1 isn't too low. Look at Toyota guys with two, and even three transfer cases. I have wheeled with a ton of guys with 2.7:1 in the front case and 4.7:1 in the rear case with 5.29s in the axles. Crazy low, but it helps on the rocks.

#19 ·
Ah okay. That makes sense. There isn't many rocks around here that the 2.72 in my 242 can't handle. Unfortunatly my crawl ratio is still a little low. I need to regear. But enough chit chat.

#22 ·
Ditch that rear 60 and pick up a cheap 14bolt or Sterling 10.25. Otherwise you'll end up wasting cash upping to 35spl that you could have spent elsewhere, and it still won't be as beefy. Any more details on suspension plans?

#26 ·
How much were your km2s if you don't mind posting. I looked at a couple places and they said the 37x12.5x17s were on national back order. Might change back to those!

#29 ·
Have you raised your gas tank yet? From what I remember reading there could possibly be slight clearance issues with a 14bolt rear so I could only imagine the 60 will be quite a tight fit and could possibly give you problems with up travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.