Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Will I say Goodbye?

972 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  shawnsbruno 
#1 ·
Will I say Goodbye?
Twenty years ago when I first saw the 1999 jeep grand Cherokee, I fell in love with the body style and all the engineering that came with it. I owned a 1987 Cherokee limited. I thought I could do anything with it. I drove through three major snow events here in Maryland. I had always believed that the Chrysler Group made their best deal when it acquired AMC. Which included the Jeep division.
But at last, the 1987 jeep Cherokee was becoming a project to rebuilding it. Still somedays I think of it and the miss opportunities I would have had with it. At the time of the new 1999 wj, I could not afford to buy it. By the time I was ready to move on from the Xj Jeep, I had shopped and found a Wj-SE. I finally was where I wanted to be. Four or so years went by, the WK’s were out. The lines were to boxes and style wise puts me back into the Xj jeep styling again. I was so into the Wj’s, but over time I wanted more. Seeing the picture of the black exported Wj called the Stealth; everything about it, I wanted. But it was only available in the UK.
So I began the Project: Stealth US style. Buying a Black 2004 Jeep Wj Limited with a V8 was the first step. I found one at a local Orusiman Jeep of VA. I traded in my 1999 Wj. I received a good price.
The things that eventually did to it were upgrades and modifications:
• Rb1 Navigation from the stock radio RB
• Oem iPod integration
• Sirius radio with artist cable
• Oem factory Uconnect with rearview mirror
• Replace 6x9 speakers with Oem late model Alpine speakers
• Install new OEM 5 1/2 rear speakers
• 8” under the seat subwoofer mounted on rear seat back
• Rear camera with (4x6 monitor up front) was going to mod the RB1 with video inputs
• Installed an Overland steering wheel, exported eBay from the UK
• Replace dish changer with Grom USB/Bluetooth play music from USB stick
• Upgrade EVC to monitor 5 new tire pressure sensors, option added
• Custom installed front fender turn indicator, OEM Export feature
• Upgrades shock to 4600 Bilstein front and rear.
• Upgraded rear sway bar to Addico 1” bar.
• Imported 4 - 18” alum Startech wheel to have refinished and Pirellis mounted
• New brake pads and rotors
• All fluids have been changed.
• Installed OEM cabinet filter
• K&N air box reusable performance filter
• Upgrade hydraulic solenoid for radiator cooling fan.
• Daytime driving lights dealer code jeep for Canada.
• Upgraded driving headlamps bulbs
• Big 4 wiring upgrade
• Black front OEM tow hooks
• Installed side lower rocker rail covers

The jeep is almost finished. All that is left is replace the front grill with an OEM black SE grill. Then the Grand Cherokee can be seen as my version of the UK Stealth. The Jeep style I dreamed of having.
The sad part in all this; the Wj’s 4.7 needed valve cover gaskets. I did the research and came to a conclusion, I needed the OEM ones to work right. So going to a Jeep dealership in Waldorf MD. Where I buy most of my OEM parts because they will give me a discount. Before I made it to the parts counter, one of the salesmen I knew there over the years. Told me he had a good deal in a Wk2 jeep and was hoping I was coming in. I know it does sound like a pickup line. He did not tell me the year of the jeep, just that it was a Wk2. He just wanted me to look at it. It was a trade-in, and the owner was just as picky about his jeep as I was with mine. I had no attended on buying a jeep especially the newer ones. It was way out of my reach and on top of that, I have most of the options in my 2004 Wj which ride great and has gotten me thru two major snow blizzards. I mean I went to work and came home during the two blizzards like it was just a Sunday drive.
When the salesman showed me the Wk2 Jeep. My first impression was. As I told him, I did not like the colour. It looked nice, but it was not Black or at least white or lite blue. The salesman told me to give it a chance, look the whole thing over before I made my final decision. Knowing him over the years, I took the effort to look at it. Something told me to just walk away from the jeep. I also tried to remind myself, I just came down here to get valve cover gaskets, by the way, the gaskets would have cost me just under 100.00 dollars. I knew I could do better. I found the company that supplies Mopar with their valve cover gaskets. You can order them from AutoZone. The mechanic installs them without a problem and love they way they fit.
Back to the Wk2 jeep, looking inside blow my mind. It had special leather trim and was black. It had lots of room. My WJ felt more padded and hugs me in the seat and back area. But this jeep overall feels big on the inside. It had all the options I wanted without adding anything. The radio was the only thing that was off. I needed a navigation system OEM, Please. The person that traded the Jeep did take very good care of it. When I open the hood; there it was, the little v6 that had more horses than my 4.7. If it were a Hemi, I would have walked away from it. I have had my 440s 383s from the past. Those times are over for me. I like my Jeeps to handle the road. I have always thought, ‘why Jeep couldn’t have a model that is set up much like the Srt – Jeep but with a V6 Pentastar.’
Which leads me to the price of the WK2 Jeep. The price was 15,999. I thought that was too low. But he said it was a price to sale. I stood in front of the Jeep laughing because I thought the price was too good having the condition the Jeep was in, and I only came there that day to price out gaskets. Then the salesman asked me to take it for a drive. In those six hours I had the Jeep, I took it home to get my brother and sister’s advice. Then I stopped at few shop owners I knew, for their opinions. I needed outside advice. I tended to buy things and returned them after I have second thoughts. If this car was at the Ourisman Jeep of Va. I have time to return it, but in Maryland, this dealership is not like that. It’s not a bad thing. I just know me. After doing some fast internet pricing and searching, I decided to get it at 15,499. I’m now the proud owner of a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 70th Anniversary edition.
These are the things I have done so far:
• Upgraded the radio to the navigation unit. Along with new firmware
• Front tow hooks, Black
• Chrome trim on lower front bumper
• Upgraded side mirrors with turn signals and auto dimming – dealer activated
• K&N air box air filter
• Replace cabin filter
There are things I still wanted to do
• Install 4600 Bilstein Shocks front and rear
• Dual exhaust with new rear lower valance
• Install rear Srt sway bar.
• Change front grill to Summit grill with black inserts that match lower grill pattern.
• Get the blind spot to work. Indicators already came on the side mirrors
• 4 20” x9 Replica OEM SRT style wheels
• 4 265-50-20 Pirelli tires
• Paint the callipers red
• Upgrade the brakes
• Upgrade steering wheel to black woodgrain Summit wheel
• Thinking of replacing the hood with SRT unit, ‘just thought.’
And so… that is why I can’t seem to let go of the Wj. It is all I ever wanted at a time long ago. But now with the WK2 Jeep, you could say it’s all done. With the Wk2, I’m just adding things because of it what I had foreseen for the 2004 Jeep Stealth. Not what this jeep needs them now. The Wk2 Jeep was supposed to be in my 2020 timeline. I have moved ahead of schedule. Should I sell the Wj?

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank's OutlawDave,
Your build like tybarious' has given me a lot to think about. And to you both, I thank you for having me remember why I bought the 2004 Wj in the first place. To make it mine and to share my built and modifications with the Jeep community.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.