The Wifes Jeep WJ "build" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Wifes Jeep WJ "build"

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #46
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I also hate oil leaks. My axle housing where the axle tube meats the center section "sweats" its really annoying.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #47
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
I tried to get my "leak" fixed under my 7/70k warranty. They said it was "sweating" oil, not leaking So it wasn't covered. Remind me...4.0 or 4.7? 4.0's just leak - it is what they do and they do it damn well.
Mine never leaks enough to leave drips on the ground though, just enough to coat the bottom of the oil pan with oil.
4.0L... its enough to make a silver dollar sized spot overnight.

I hate that is a "new to me" Jeep and I am having so many issues... oh the WJ blues... Ill slowly fix stuff and hopefully square it all up. The reason i worry so much is because its my wifes Jeep, I need it to be reliable and safe.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

My jeep or my friends jeep has never left them stranded. Take that for what you want. Do you plan on wheeling that jeep? We have a club meeting this sunday if you wanna come.

Unread 10-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #49
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
My jeep or my friends jeep has never left them stranded. Take that for what you want. Do you plan on wheeling that jeep? We have a club meeting this sunday if you wanna come.
No wheeling, its my wifes DD... I know all my issues are easy. (Except the possible tranny issue, but again, I may just be paranoid)... I just got it yesterday, so its just me being manic, wanting it to be perfect TODAY... I just need a good solid weekend to work on it, but with a Rugby game this weekend and work next weekend, im stuck for a couple weeks. I may have to pull the night lights out and work into the wee hours of the evening, I just worry that doing that will leave us stuck without a vehicle if im not able to get it back together before morning.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #50
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

I wanted to add a shot of the inside... when I got it, it was so messy it made me not want to even drive it, but after 3 hours and blood, sweat, and tears, I got it clean. It has a very nice interior once I got the 1 inch of crud off of everything. Dont let the crappy picture throw you off.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #51
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

im on RockAuto... what would be the middle ground tie rod ends? i dont want cheap, but I dont want to spend $60 per tie rod end...

-Raybestos
-moog
-acdelco
-mevotech

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #52
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
im on RockAuto... what would be the middle ground tie rod ends? i dont want cheap, but I dont want to spend $60 per tie rod end...

-Raybestos
-moog
-acdelco
-mevotech
Go to O'Reilly's and get their Master Pro tie rod ends. Great price, quality, and a lifetime warranty. I've been very pleased with them on my WJ.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #53
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
Go to O'Reilly's and get their Master Pro tie rod ends. Great price, quality, and a lifetime warranty. I've been very pleased with them on my WJ.
Good advice... at $20 a piece, that is in my budget.

I know some of you wont agree with this, but I think I am going to try to just put a zirk on the current ends and try to lube them. If I cant get them lubed or if they are damaged, then ill replace them.

Just found out my t-case fluid needs changing and my front diff needs servicing. So I need to save money any way I can.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #54
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

if they are bone dry, the damage is done and greasing them wont help. they will have pitting and all sorts of damage.

Also Im willing to bet the bad idle is coil packs. like Arlo said, there are no plug wires, its COP. there is one coil on top of each spark plug. they are kinda pricey. Its typical for people to put off changing them for as long as possible because they cost about $40 each and theres 6.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #55
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
if they are bone dry, the damage is done and greasing them wont help. they will have pitting and all sorts of damage.

Also Im willing to bet the bad idle is coil packs. like Arlo said, there are no plug wires, its COP. there is one coil on top of each spark plug. they are kinda pricey. Its typical for people to put off changing them for as long as possible because they cost about $40 each and theres 6.
I HIGHLY doubt its the coils. It either works or it doesnt. You prolly need to clean the thottle body and Idle air control. Then get a new air filter and reset the computer. I wouldnt throw $240 just yet.

Unread 10-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #56
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

How do I reset the computer? Is it disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #57
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Yes. Turn your headlights on and disco your battery and let it sit for like 2 minutes. That should reset everything.

Unread 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #58
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitnail View Post
I HIGHLY doubt its the coils. It either works or it doesnt. You prolly need to clean the thottle body and Idle air control. Then get a new air filter and reset the computer. I wouldnt throw $240 just yet.
I wasnt recommending just blindly throwing $240 at it, just something to check. Coils dont just "either work or they dont", they can have issues that cause a weak spark and depending on the age of the plugs and the gap, they can cause a slight miss at idle. Ive seen it countless times on COP systems.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #59
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Update:

-cleaned throttle body and IAC, replaced air filter, it idles like a dream now.
-tightened sway bar links, clunking stopped for the most part... Still a little clunk around corners, but it's Almost completely gone.
-I think the rear main seal is leaking. Its leaking at the bell housing. I changed the oil and added some leak protectant. We will see how that works...

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #60
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

quick little update.

-the leak additive has DRASTICALLY reduced the leak, and it says it works over time, so im hoping after a couple more oil changes, itll be practically gone.

-Doing all 4 TRE's this weekend. Im getting the ones from O' Reillys, per a suggestion from one of you, as well as a new steering stabilizer. I disconnected mine yesterday and its very easy to push and pull...

-Still running great since the TB and IAC cleaning. Going to do the same with my TJ, hope itll bring my idle down.

-I thought I felt my tranny starting to slip when I was stopping... at very low speeds, it feels slightly jerking going from D to N... but someone said it can be caused by the slip yoke... There is a big long write up on the JU website, so it just requires removing the driveshaft and lubing the slip yoke. Guy said it stopped the "bump stop" issue, as he called it. I am hoping thats all it is. The tranny is fine other than that issue, so i cant imagine its a tranny issue... oh well... I may do a tranny fluid change and get a new filter from mopar to ensure longevity

-As time goes on and I play with it, its slowly starting to run and perform to my standards... just needed a little TLC which the last owner apparently didnt give it... Plus I think he was full of **** when he said he had it fully serviced at the dealership.

I appreciate you alls input and help along the way.

My CJ7 Build Thread

Tags
2003 , build up , grand cherokee , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.