The Wifes Jeep WJ "build" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Wifes Jeep WJ "build"

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 09-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

The Wifes Jeep WJ "build"

I am the proud new owner of a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo!

So this really isnt a build thread. Its more to keep record of progress im making on the new Jeep; maintenance issues im resolving, as well as getting help and advice for future issues.

6-cyl
92XXX Miles
4WD
Leather
Sun roof
NO blend door (whew)
Interior and exterior are IMMACULATE
Recently replaced window regulators and heater issue.
Newer tires
Tranny shifts like a dream
Part-time and full-time 4WD

This will be my wifes Jeep to nicely compliment my TJ.

Now the quick fixes I could use advice on.

1. Slight clunk over bumps - I believe thats a shock issue, am I right?

2. Auto transmission fluid change. Ive done it on my manual, but have heard that its different on automatics. Is it still a DIY capable job, or should I just have it done professionally?

3. Steering wheel gets a slight shimmy between 40-50 MPH, not enough to be worried, but its going to bug me... Fixed with alignment and maybe a new stabilizer?

Thanks for looking and helping, I am super pumped. This is going to be my wifes daily driver, but will be so nice to take on trips and whatnot. So spacious.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

nice man and welcome to the good side of things lol

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

No way dude!! Congrats. Now we WAY too much in common.. ha ha ha
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
Now the quick fixes I could use advice on.

1. Slight clunk over bumps - I believe thats a shock issue, am I right?

2. Auto transmission fluid change. Ive done it on my manual, but have heard that its different on automatics. Is it still a DIY capable job, or should I just have it done professionally?

3. Steering wheel gets a slight shimmy between 40-50 MPH, not enough to be worried, but its going to bug me... Fixed with alignment and maybe a new stabilizer?

Thanks for looking and helping, I am super pumped. This is going to be my wifes daily driver, but will be so nice to take on trips and whatnot. So spacious.
1) It could be the shocks, but it could also be control arm bushings or sway bar endlink bushings. See if you can rock the Jeep back and forth to recreate the clunk, then see if you can isolate it that way.
2) You can DIY. A gasket, filter, and ATF fluid is pretty much all that is needed. Is somewhat messy because there is no drain plug, so you loosen the pan and let it leak out, then you have a pan full of fluid at the end.
3) If it goes away at higher speeds, I would suspect a tire is out of balance.
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
1) It could be the shocks, but it could also be control arm bushings or sway bar endlink bushings. See if you can rock the Jeep back and forth to recreate the clunk, then see if you can isolate it that way.
2) You can DIY. A gasket, filter, and ATF fluid is pretty much all that is needed. Is somewhat messy because there is no drain plug, so you loosen the pan and let it leak out, then you have a pan full of fluid at the end.
3) If it goes away at higher speeds, I would suspect a tire is out of balance.
1. Ill rock it and see what I can get. If I cant isolate it from rocking it back and forth, what would be another good way to isolate the noise. It sounds like its coming from the front... Its the same noise my wifes Mustang makes and the struts are bad on it, leading me to believe shocks, but ill give it a try and get back to you.
2. Any good links to a write-up? For some reason i thought that when you changed automatic fluid you had to shift through the gears or something like that...
3. Ill probably just have them balanced and rotated. If I still have issues, ill check to see if the stabilizer is still good, if its shot, its a cheap replacement.

Thx Arlo

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

1) Another good way to determine the noise is to replace every bushing Or at least remove the various parts and inspect bushings. I have rarely found a bushing that was causing a noise, that wasn't obvious that it was needing replacement.
2) Sorry, not from me...they're out there though. Only thing you'll do while changing an automatic that is special is when filling it up, you need to have it on level ground. Once you think it is filled enough, start the engine and put it in neutral. That is when you check your fluid level. It needs to be precise. Too low and it'll shift poorly, too high and it'll cavitate and give you air bubbles, and shift poorly.
Unread 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Once you think it is filled enough, start the engine and put it in neutral. That is when you check your fluid level. It needs to be precise. Too low and it'll shift poorly, too high and it'll cavitate and give you air bubbles, and shift poorly.
Thats what I was thinking of... Perfect. I dont think I need a write-up now. Thanks again.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Nice. You finally got a real jeep haha. Its too bad the V8 WJs have so many other problems(blend door, etc) because the V8 ZJs are way more fun than an I6.

You planning on doing a full vehicle fluid change(diffs, t case, trans, oil, coolant flush)? i do on every new vehicle to ensure it wont come back to bite you later

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:

Did the same with mine. I replaced the SS with Monroe and went back after 2 weeks. Replaced it with OME and it fights it better. Then 2 months later I replaced all y Shocks with Monroe Reflex(front) and Monroe Senesa-trac(Rear), and it cured it...

CONGRATS with the JGC!
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

Congrats on the dub. May I recommend the Rancho SS, I picked one up from Summit for $50 and it was well worth it, that is if you wind up needing it!
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking of... Perfect. I dont think I need a write-up now. Thanks again.
Trans fluid change - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
You planning on doing a full vehicle fluid change(diffs, t case, trans, oil, coolant flush)? i do on every new vehicle to ensure it wont come back to bite you later
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
The seller is my co-worker, and I have known him for awhile, so I know for a fact he took care of it. I saw the Jeep every day for months before I bought it... He informed me yesterday that in March he took it to the DEALERSHIP for a complete fluids change (tranny, diffs, t-case), had a full tune-up, new tires, new battery, plugs, wires, etc... ALL changed 7 months ago. I am a lucky bastard. And I got SUCH a good deal on it. Im literally terrified he will back out once he realizes how cheap he is giving it to me for.

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Don't forget to clean up those headlights for her. Also might consider swapping the fog bulbs for high beam bulbs and buff up those lenses too.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Which reminds me, anyone want to change my dif/tranny fluids for me? I think I want to go royal purple on the trans. Let me know!

BTW, B, my 2005 has almost as many miles as yours and it doesnt have leather.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
Don't forget to clean up those headlights for her. Also might consider swapping the fog bulbs for high beam bulbs and buff up those lenses too.
Yeah, headlights are first on my list, followed by a complete detail, buff and wax, shampoo, leather treatment, engine clean, tire balance, figuring out that pesky rattle, and then little things here and there. Brakes may need an overhaul soon, but overall its in damn near perfect shape, so ill repair as needed.

I like the idea of the highbeam fog lights, so its just literally a fog bulb to highbeam bulb?

My CJ7 Build Thread

Tags
2003 , build up , grand cherokee , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.