WiCkeDuDe's 02 WJ Build Up Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > WiCkeDuDe's 02 WJ Build Up Thread

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

First off, take the tie rod end clamp and drill out the square bolt hole with a 31/64 drill bit. I will explain why later. I did mine in the pic on the vehicle but its easier in the vise.

Once done you need to spread the clamps out or unscrew your installed tie rods on your WJ. I wonder which you will pick? You need to spread them alot to go over the trackbar and draglink, so be careful not to break the steel. Once open enough slip the SS clamp over the trackbar. Then take the tie rod clamp and slip it over the steering draglink, up near the pitman arm. As you can see the clamp is the same size as the pitman arm tie rod. Now bend the clamps back down enough for the bolts to go through. I used a big pair of channel lock pliers to do this.

I used a Rancho SS - RS5409 ($52) for my 2nd SS shown in the pic. Its the same one used for the factory position. The tube end goes towards the driver side and has a bigger bushing hole (M12 bolt) than the boot side (M10 bolt). The Rancho shock comes with a M10 x 1.5 bolt that will work here being just over 4" long. For the tube side you need to get a M12 bolt just over 4" long. I used a M12 x 1.75 x 110 bolt.

Place the M10 bolt through the trackbar clamps and the M12 bolt through the steering draglink clamp. The reason for drilling the clamp so for the bigger M12 bolt to go through. You will now need some spacers to go on the bolt. You can use what you want, but I tried to get the shock about parallel with the trackbar. You can use washers too if you wish. I turned some 1" diameter steel spacers on the lathe that were 5/8" thick. One spacer needs to have a hole for a M10 bolt (25/64"), and the other a larger hole for the M12 (31/64"). Put the spacers on the bolt and position the clamps as shown in the pic below.

dscn1290.jpg   dscn1292.jpg   dscn1305.jpg   dscn1298.jpg   dscn1295.jpg  

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Now you are ready to install the SS. I used some hex flange lock nuts, the same as what came with the Rancho SS. You dont want these clamps loosening up so use a locknut. Remember the tube end goes driver side. Snug up the bolts just enough to where you can still move the clamps.

On my WJ I locked the clamp all the way to the passenger side on the trackbar, next to the locknut. I then locked the other clamps as far up as possible on the steering draglink. Turn and position the SS so that it is parallel and does not bind when turning. You may need to space your SS different and position differently than me. I was initially concerned the SS would bottom out when turning right, hence why I pushed the clamps out to the max.

It turned out to not be a concern as I did not bottom out the SS. I am running 5" of lift on my WJ. Be sure to check that the SS does not bottom out! Below in the pictures you can see the full left turn and full right turn extension. Though the boot looks cramped, I still have just over 1" of travel in the SS when turning right. Be sure also to check that the SS does not bind when turning which can bend the SS and also affect your turning radius. Once your sure you are where you want to be then lock down the nuts and enjoy!
dscn1310.jpg   dscn1313.jpg   dscn1315.jpg   dscn1314.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

So I added some 3/4" poly spacers to the rear with my teraflex springs. I am now perfectly at 5" lift at all 4 corners or 23" hub center to fender lip. This caused my rear driveshaft to pull too far out of the transfer case and I would get some vibes at high throttle. I took it out and over to a local six states today where they cut the tube out and lengthened it 1.25" as I had requested. I have my rear JKS arms adjusted to 18.75" which brought my u joint angles to within 2 degrees. Put the shaft back in and no more vibes. The Tom Woods SYE would be cool for my NP242HD, but I was quoted $650 for that and a new shaft so I went this route.
dscn1346.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well it's been a couple of months since you told me where you got your wheels on your red WJ at and now i finally have a set too,i just loved the looks and had to have a set ,THANKS for the heads up,they even cut me a good deal on tires too,love discount tire now!!
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfjeeper View Post
Well it's been a couple of months since you told me where you got your wheels on your red WJ at and now i finally have a set too,i just loved the looks and had to have a set ,THANKS for the heads up,they even cut me a good deal on tires too,love discount tire now!!
Looks good! How do the KM2's ride and wear?
Unread 04-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

She rides pretty good,the tires are load range e (all they have in this size) so a little stiff but really not bad,she has a low tire hum that i know from past BFG mt's will get louder but that's ok too i love the tire hum,only have had them on for a little over a month but no wear what so ever so far
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #22
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Finally got my painted Overland sliders installed. Im pretty happy with how they look on a Limited.
dscn1549.jpg   dscn1553.jpg   dscn1550.jpg  
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #23
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Really Clean WJ's man. Good stuff.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Notice any wetness on the Rancho SS shafts from siiting sideways? Mine isn' quite a year old and the shaft is oily, but doesn't drip yet.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #25
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Every once in awhile I see some water in the SS boot but no oil. Havent had an issues with them whatsoever.
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

OK, so why?

I get it, you replaced the steering stabilizer. Some questions:

1)Why is the ranchero better than factory?

2) I am a little confused....did you replace the original? you first post said something about adding a second SS.....

tow hooks still available?
three_jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.