why dont people understand jeep language :( - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > why dont people understand jeep language :(

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Um, there actually is a 4.0 litre V6 - but it's a Ford engine. The V6-244 used in the Explorer, Ranger, Aerostar, and (I think) some F-150 and E-150. :P

Also, I find it interesting that, after DCX said that the "inline six engine is dated and unsafe" (the former, perhaps. The latter, really? BMW gets consistently high safety ratings, and they've been using inline six gasoline engines for the last 60 years or so...) that General Motors should be resurrecting their inline six in VORTEC trim - with a displacement of (get this!) 242 cubic inches! (242ci ~= 4.0L. Calculated displacement of our 6-242 engine is right about 241.5ci...)

Hell, I think BMW has been using I6 engines slightly longer than Jeep has - and Willys started with the F6 engine in the late 1940s or early 1950s! Displacements of the early Jeep sixes? 226ci in L-head or F-head, 161ci in F-head (and probably L-head,) and let's not forget the 230ci "Tornado" OHC inline I6 right around 1960, with the really funky cam profile (as I understand it, BOTH valves are driven off of a SINGLE cam lobe...)
Volvo uses an I-6 in their XC90 SUV as well, at least they were very recently anyway 2007+. And Volvo's big marketing claim to fame is "safety".

Unread 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
Volvo uses an I-6 in their XC90 SUV as well, at least they were very recently anyway 2007+. And Volvo's big marketing claim to fame is "safety".
Mostly, the I6 reduces pedestrian safety because raising the hood to clear an I6 is impractical for most vehicles. Volvo avoids this by using an airbag at the base of the hood, which deploys during pedestrian collisions to push the hood up so it deforms, softening the collision for the pedestrian, versus the hood only deflecting so much until it hits the engine.

I wish I were making that up.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.