why dont people understand jeep language :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > why dont people understand jeep language :(

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Jebby
2002 WJ 

why dont people understand jeep language :(

SOOOOO annoyed with people that clam to have the bug that don't understand............ YJ TJ JK are wrangler generations......... there is no 4.0 v6..... the Cherokee and the grand Cherokee are not the same vehicle. Wranglers are not the only jeeps with letter designations example MJ XJ WJ WK KK so on and so forth......... ect ect....... its not that hard people........ been talking to this guy and he is sooooooooo clueless. On top of being clueless he is being an arse.

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ560143345

ok rant over sorry guys

Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Jebby
2002 WJ 

hahahaha just realized he updated his ad. the funny stuff is out. after ripping me a new one about how I didn't know what I was talking about he changed his ad....... maybe he could listen after all just wanted to argue with me I guess
Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
SOOOOO annoyed with people that clam to have the bug that don't understand............ YJ TJ JK are wrangler generations......... there is no 4.0 v6..... the Cherokee and the grand Cherokee are not the same vehicle. Wranglers are not the only jeeps with letter designations example MJ XJ WJ WK KK so on and so forth......... ect ect....... its not that hard people........ been talking to this guy and he is sooooooooo clueless. On top of being clueless he is being an arse.

ok rant over sorry guys
Relax. People have to learn. I had no idea until I joined here. When I was putting in the info for my WJ on the profile. I didn't know it was called a WJ. But I learned.

Can you tell me the designations of a 1992 Accord and a 1996 Accord and what year models the generations cover? (without looking it up).
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post

ok rant over sorry guys
Um, there actually is a 4.0 litre V6 - but it's a Ford engine. The V6-244 used in the Explorer, Ranger, Aerostar, and (I think) some F-150 and E-150. :P

Also, I find it interesting that, after DCX said that the "inline six engine is dated and unsafe" (the former, perhaps. The latter, really? BMW gets consistently high safety ratings, and they've been using inline six gasoline engines for the last 60 years or so...) that General Motors should be resurrecting their inline six in VORTEC trim - with a displacement of (get this!) 242 cubic inches! (242ci ~= 4.0L. Calculated displacement of our 6-242 engine is right about 241.5ci...)

Hell, I think BMW has been using I6 engines slightly longer than Jeep has - and Willys started with the F6 engine in the late 1940s or early 1950s! Displacements of the early Jeep sixes? 226ci in L-head or F-head, 161ci in F-head (and probably L-head,) and let's not forget the 230ci "Tornado" OHC inline I6 right around 1960, with the really funky cam profile (as I understand it, BOTH valves are driven off of a SINGLE cam lobe...)

The Willys 161 and 226 ci engines predate the 196ci F-head used by AMC in the American, as I recall...

EDIT - as far as "our language" goes - in purpose, it can be likened to any "trade language" used as a variation of a native tongue - "Carny" being probably the single greatest example of this. It serves to facilitate communication between people in the know, filter out people who don't know (or assess the experience level of practitioners,) and makes communication more efficient. Same thing with doctors, lawyers, electricians, carpenters, sailors, soldiers, ... Any distinct trade will have its own language involved, which evolved in response to the requirements of the profession.
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
robrilla
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post

Um, there actually is a 4.0 litre V6 - but it's a Ford engine. The V6-244 used in the Explorer, Ranger, Aerostar, and (I think) some F-150 and E-150. :P

Also, I find it interesting that, after DCX said that the "inline six engine is dated and unsafe" (the former, perhaps. The latter, really? BMW gets consistently high safety ratings, and they've been using inline six gasoline engines for the last 60 years or so...) that General Motors should be resurrecting their inline six in VORTEC trim - with a displacement of (get this!) 242 cubic inches! (242ci ~= 4.0L. Calculated displacement of our 6-242 engine is right about 241.5ci...)

Hell, I think BMW has been using I6 engines slightly longer than Jeep has - and Willys started with the F6 engine in the late 1940s or early 1950s! Displacements of the early Jeep sixes? 226ci in L-head or F-head, 161ci in F-head (and probably L-head,) and let's not forget the 230ci "Tornado" OHC inline I6 right around 1960, with the really funky cam profile (as I understand it, BOTH valves are driven off of a SINGLE cam lobe...)

The Willys 161 and 226 ci engines predate the 196ci F-head used by AMC in the American, as I recall...

EDIT - as far as "our language" goes - in purpose, it can be likened to any "trade language" used as a variation of a native tongue - "Carny" being probably the single greatest example of this. It serves to facilitate communication between people in the know, filter out people who don't know (or assess the experience level of practitioners,) and makes communication more efficient. Same thing with doctors, lawyers, electricians, carpenters, sailors, soldiers, ... Any distinct trade will have its own language involved, which evolved in response to the requirements of the profession.
^ This is awesome.
robrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
motorhead7963

Yep... Soooooo annoying when people post on websites that don't know how to spell worth a damn.
motorhead7963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
Krooser
1999 WJ 

Orange leather?
Krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
hunter4198
1999 WJ 

I can honestly say that the only letter codes I know by heart is my wj, I know some people that just want a jeep to say that they have a jeep, I bought a jeep because they are the best vehicle on and off road, pretty reliable, 100% American made, and I enjoy having a vehicle that can go almost anywhere and through anything.

Hunter4198
hunter4198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4198 View Post
I can honestly say that the only letter codes I know by heart is my wj, I know some people that just want a jeep to say that they have a jeep, I bought a jeep because they are the best vehicle on and off road, pretty reliable, 100% American made, and I enjoy having a vehicle that can go almost anywhere and through anything.
Mine isnt !!! Still love it though!
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia
Mine isnt !!! Still love it though!
^^^X2 the WG's Are Even better, glad they dont know,,,,
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If it's made past 1984, I seriously doubt it's "100% American Made." AMC wasn't even a "100% American Company" by then - Renault owned a good chunk of it. (That's why AMGeneral came into being - at the time, Defense contracts couldn't be fulfilled by foreign-owned - partially or wholly - companies.)

So, you want a "100% American-Made" Jeep? Look for a surplus MA, MB, MC, MD, M38-series, M151-series, or M422-series. The M715, M725, and M726 can also be loosely considered "Jeeps" - since they were made by Kaiser (then AMC.)

Later? HMMWV, and maybe the civilian H1 (but I can fair guarantee you that the H2 and H3 will be a global grab bag of parts, if you started sourcing everything.)

A broad brush may be useful for getting a job done, but one should be careful where one wields it...
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

All USDM Jeeps undergo final assembly in the US. Around 95% of the components of every USDM Jeep until around 2005 were sourced within 200 miles of Toledo and Jefferson North respectively.

That's a better record than pretty much everything.

As far as straight sixes, they're not inherently unsafe, but they are inherently long. And that length means the hood has to be long and raised really high up in order to meet safety standards.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #13
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Assembled in USA doesn't make it "Made in USA" But, granted, a lot of the parts on the 1980s- to early 2000s Jeeps came from the USA. Some major components like transmisison units are Japanese on some models, small parts here and there are from around the globe. I would consider anything having more than ~70% of parts sourced locally to be an exceptionally good percentage. I think a lot of stuff built these days have a lot of stuff outsourced from Asia/ Mexico/ other cheap labour-cost countries.

Btw., IIRC there was quite a lot of parts brought in from the USA to the export models assembled in the Graz, Austria plant.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

I like the fact That most of the WG parts assemblied in grass is from US.

I also like the fact That the euro WG Are improved in so many ways, from wjjeeps>>>

The following options are offered or included on selected export models, in some countries required by law. Most likely we'll see some of these features on domestic models in the years ahead.
Alarm system, advanced - with interior motion detector and siren
Assembly / fit inspection - both at assembly line and prior to dealer destination tagging
Battery - premium quality
Engine - 3.1L Turbo-Diesel engine option
Engine - 2.7L Common Rail Diesel engine option (2002)
Filtering device, pollution - in air circulation system
Fog lights, rear - red, bumper mounted
Glass - untinted glass in some regions
Glass - headlamp, fog lamps, windshield - higher standards
Headlamps - electric leveling, 6-position
Hood ajar warning light
Instrument panel cluster differences (12 different variations used)
Mirrors - power fold-away left & right
molding - premium quality rubber molding and gasket seals on all doors and hood
Interior - premium quality interior carpeting and face plates
Paint - superior PPG primer/pigment/clear coat
Parktronic, park assist - British models and most European regions
Radio antenna - passenger-side rear quarter window mount (with signal amplifier)
Side marker lights, orange fender-mounted
Suspension - stiffer coils
Wiring - premium quality
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

"Premium quality"

You realize they're the exact same parts right? What does "premium quality" even mean? WJ and WG were built to identical specifications.

I think you're just being euro-centric. (Ooh look at me, I'm fancy in my American-engineered Austrian-built rusty slag heap)

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.