Whiskeypete's WJ - (build to come) thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Whiskeypete's WJ - (build to come) thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

Whiskeypete's WJ - (build to come) thread

Figured it's time to consolidate updates, changes, mods in one place. Been lurking in the shadows and following around various builds for the past few years. Like others I've been reading along and educating myself as those members push the limits with their WJs and do what we all love. To get outside see the sights, enjoy good company in areas that usually don't have a road or map leading you there.

Some of the builds I've been following along that come to mind are 311's, Shin's, Arlo's, LSRGreg, Gator, Saturn to name a few. There are others as well and all of them will help me turn mine into something that I will be able to enjoy and learn along the way.

This is the second WJ that I have owned. The first was a '99 I6 4x4 that I had on the standard 3-year lease. I never did any mods or changes to it. I used it 'as is' stock from a DD to the light weekend wheeler. My current ride is a '02 WJ 4.7 V8 4x4 that is pushing only 83K. Back in '05 I had the 2" BB installed, Rancho's, with GY 265 MT's. Damn good tire offroad, but the things lasted 22K so I wanted something that lasted longer. Now I've got 255 BFG AT's that have 30K+ on them and are just starting to show the wear and tear.

Well like most people around here I have always wanted to go bigger. So now at this point I am starting to budget and work out a plan. First things first are just some cosmetic changes to give it a facelift. The thing is 8-years old and is starting to show it. The usual....cladding, light projectors, grill, rims. While I'm messing with these small changes I can start saving for the big stuff.

Of the big/mechanical changes this is what I am looking at and in order:
-upgrade the brakes, brake lines (time to get some more stopping power, before i go higher)
-6" Clayton LA kit
-upgrade drive shafts
-BFG KM2's and rims
-front/rear bumper
-underside armor, winch

Hoping that by end of summer 2010 I can get this thing lifted and really moving in the direction I have been dreaming of for years.

I will also look to do some of the other mods - gas tank lift, washer fluid reservoir, etc that go with the added change to the vehicle.

At this point I have ZERO mechanical experience, hell I didn't even take auto shop in high school. For some reason though I want to do as much as possible by myself and learn as I go. Thank god for the net and forum sites to share info and as an information source.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

Finally got some weather that allowed me the chance to get the first thing done. Paint the cladding, which was getting very faded and streaked. Decided to go with the two tone silver/black combo. Before anyone says anything....I'm a Chargers fan and hate the Raiders. That aside I think it turned out good. Even the wife said she is pleasantly surprised by how different it looks and turned out.

Before / during / after pics

i am very happy with how it turned out. for approx $80 (paint, tape, scotch-brite, paper, plastic sheeting) you get a clean and different look. the one silly stupid thing that resulted was having the stereo going the entire time (5 hours) and killed the battery. that resulted in a trip to the shop to buy some jumper cables. i didnt even think about it the entire time since i was so focused on painting. i swapped the cd's once about halfway and didnt even think about. went to start it and click...click....click

need to do swap out the plugs on it which will be the next thing. that should be interesting to say the least and i'm praying it wont be followed by the sudden need to bring it to a mechanic to fix what i broke.

AFTER

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
patrick983
2000 WJ 

looks good especially w/ the silver!
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

I have been thinking about doing this to the wifes GC. Looks good I guess I should give it a go.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
rescuejeeper

Looks great! What kind of paint did you use? Krylon?
1995 XJ 4.0 AUTO build up in progress
1993 ZJ 4.0 AUTO all stock
1989 YJ 4.2 5 Speed 4" BDS 1" Body Lift 15x8 33" MT's Regretfully Sold
rescuejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

krylon fusion - satin black. im guessing ive got 6-8 hrs into it. popped the front fascia off, but masked the sides and rear
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Atlas92
1989 MJ Comanche 

looks much better now
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
PDXCoug
2002 WJ 

Did you put any clear on it for some protection? I need to do this baddly to mine
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

no clear coat to this point. if i put any on it will be on the door sill, rocker covers. for some reason i seem to always smack them getting in and out. hard sole dress shoes will scuff them quick. my guess is the ball n chain will do a number on them with her heels everytime she gets out of the thing as well.
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Looking good, but may I suggest the 50/50 mix of linseed oil and paint thinner to restore the door/hatch handles and the other black plastic? The trim above the license plate is killing me.

Other than that, looks great. Maybe some gunmetal paint for the rims?

Sorry, at times I wish I had a silver dub, they do look great cleaned up.

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

was thinking about this but with bedliner on the zj bump panels/rockers
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
PDXCoug
2002 WJ 

I wonder how long that will hold up for. I have heard of people just taking a heat gun to that plastic as well. This is something I need to do this summer
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

i used Mother's back to black a few weeks back on all the trim. after 3-5 applications all the trim looked like new. i just haven't washed/detailed it in a few weeks because it has been raining off and on non-stop. the B-to-B does an excellent job. the one downside i discovered is that it will leave a residue. there are very light black streaks beneath the handles and such. it easily wipes off and doesnt harm anything. im not a chemist, so i have no idea what/why this happens.

i will be painting the rims down the road. going black, not gunmetal though. plan is to leave the outer lip silver and the rest of the rim all black.

the longevity of the kyrlon is good. do a search here and you will find people doing this mod dating back for years. if it does scratch or scuff, then get the can out and hit it to cover it. i have had a few small ones on the front bumper that i have already hit with the can.
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Black with a polished lip is what I have, I just like gunmetal on silver, though black would look great

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Whiskeypete
2012 JK Wrangler 

ras you have any close ups of the rims? interested to check them out. how have they held up in your opinion? ive been kicking around the thought of gunmetal versus the black. i may possibly do one gunmetal and another black to compare.

next changes for me though will be new headlights, lenses and while i am at it.....now i got the desire to get some aux lights while the front is torn apart. ive been looking, reading, etc on adding some aux lights up front on that thing jeep calls a bumper. first thing is mounting. some guys it looks like they are drilling and mounting straight thru the plastic, with i am guessing addt'l washer(s) and lock nuts. i am more interested in some type of light bar to mount the lights to, but there i havent really found anything to my liking. what i have in mind is this...

RealWheels RW310-1BPJ - RealWheels Pre-Runner Light Bar in Black Powder Coat for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

think this is doable for the GC? run the mount down to the frame/rail. mount it onto the same hardware for the tow hooks and then do some cutout work on the top of the fascia, so the bar can loop up and out.

second question, lights. hella 500ff's, ipf 968's, or kc daylighters. i am looking to use these while driving streets at night also, so i dont want to blind people. my initial perspective is the the kc's will be to bright and wide for street use based on what other reviews have stated. the hella's and ipf's are a good mix and safe on road. the ipf's are a bit tighter and the hella's are less expensive....at least that's what ive taken away from various opinions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.