What Grand Cherokee to buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > What Grand Cherokee to buy?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
submerged
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What Grand Cherokee to buy?

I'm new to Jeep Forum, and this is my first post. I've browsed on here before though, and found lots of useful info.

Currently I am trying to decide between 2 Grand Cherokees to purchase. A 2004 Overland 4.7HO, or a 2005 Limited 5.7 Hemi. Both are 4X4. The hemi has had a recent transmission swap.

The Overland has only 56,000km on it and is in great condition. Asking price $11,750 (Canadian). I think I could get it for $10,000.

The Hemi has 108,000km, isn't in quite as good condition. Asking price $10,200. Could probably get it for $9,500.

I'll be using the car mainly for city/highway driving and towing a 4000lb trailer occasionally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

submerged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
wagoneerXJ
1998 ZJ 

It depends on the condition

The transmission swap is a bit concerning. Maybe it has not been maintained. I went from a 2003 4.7HO to a 2006 5.7 Hemi. The WJ had better throttle response and better visibility. It was fun to drive. It sounds like that one has a lot of life left in it. The WK has been better at towing and has better handling on the highway. The WK came with lockers. The 5.7 is much more common and should outlast the 4.7HO. The WJ was great and I plan to own another, but I would choose the 5.7, especially if it has the QDII.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
submerged
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, for the reply.

I was thinking that a new transmission was a good thing, but now that I think of it from that angle.....hopefully it was just a factory defect. I am leaning towards the hemi. It's just hard to pass up such a mint WJ.
submerged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

WJ. Your comparing a model in its first production year (05 WK) compared to one in its 2nd to last (03 WJ). 05 will have more bugs to work out and will probably be more expensive to fix.
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Just saw it was an 04. WJ all the way.
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

The 5.7 are finicky creatures that definitely need maintained. Mine is currently sitting at 111K and haven't had any tranny problems as of yet. *knock on wood* These are great Jeeps, super quick and sturdy. I can't speak for the WJ, but in this instance, I would worry that this WK has not been taken care of. If you could get all the service records I'd say jump on the Hemi.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.