what is the best sye kit for the 242 transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > what is the best sye kit for the 242 transfer case?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
GrandChe89
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

what is the best sye kit for the 242 transfer case?

I was going to do the swap to a 242 transfer case. I want a complete kit for a sye kit. I was looking for the best bang for my buck. Is a sye hard to install? what does it involve

thanks

GrandChe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Your options are limited. You can get one of the so-called "hack-n-tap" kits from someplace like Rubicon Express. Tom Wood's is the only company I know of that makes a complete SYE kit for the 242. In fact I have one on my 242. The TW kit still uses a hack-n-tap style but at least they have the machine tools to get it right.

Actually, I just pulled out my 242 (w/ Tom Woods SYE) and replaced it with a 231. The 242 was completely rebuilt with new bearings, seals, chain, and the SYE about two years ago and has seen limited (mostly trail) use. I went with the 231 because it has a bit higher torque capacity and much better aftermarket support (real SYE kits, wide chain, 6-gear planetary). I would consider selling you my 242 but quite honestly I think you should go with a 231. The often cited reason why people want the 242 is full-time 4wd but I don't think you really need full-time 4wd even up in your neck of the woods. Find a 231 from a 96+ Cherokee, get a SYE kit from JB Conversions or Crown Automotive, and you can't go wrong. Chuck & Eddies junkyard in CT has a couple 231's for $60. Worth going on a road trip for.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
GrandChe89
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I think I would go with the 242 for now anyways just until I have more time on my hands to swap the 231. How much would you be willing to sell the 242? I am really interested, I could meet you in the same place as last time.
pm me with details

thanks

Kyle
GrandChe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
redfox103
1997 ZJ 

hey i have a 97 zj how much work is it to install the 231?? anymore work then the 242?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Your options are limited. You can get one of the so-called "hack-n-tap" kits from someplace like Rubicon Express. Tom Wood's is the only company I know of that makes a complete SYE kit for the 242. In fact I have one on my 242. The TW kit still uses a hack-n-tap style but at least they have the machine tools to get it right.

Actually, I just pulled out my 242 (w/ Tom Woods SYE) and replaced it with a 231. The 242 was completely rebuilt with new bearings, seals, chain, and the SYE about two years ago and has seen limited (mostly trail) use. I went with the 231 because it has a bit higher torque capacity and much better aftermarket support (real SYE kits, wide chain, 6-gear planetary). I would consider selling you my 242 but quite honestly I think you should go with a 231. The often cited reason why people want the 242 is full-time 4wd but I don't think you really need full-time 4wd even up in your neck of the woods. Find a 231 from a 96+ Cherokee, get a SYE kit from JB Conversions or Crown Automotive, and you can't go wrong. Chuck & Eddies junkyard in CT has a couple 231's for $60. Worth going on a road trip for.
redfox103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.