post #1 of Old 06-01-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
mjplus7

wet carpet

Hi,

One of my kids left the front passenger door open during a thunderstorm about a month ago, and the carpet got soaked on the passenger side to where there was almost a puddle. I've tried soaking with towels and using hand held carpet cleaner, but water will not come out, even though the carpet is still wet. Pulled it up and discovered the padding is sealed to the carpet with plastic. I tried to make some holes in the plastic, but not much coming out, padding is soaked but need to squeeze and can't make enough holes to accommodate the water. Is it possible to cut out the padding and replace in that one section? Anyone ever done this before? It's beginning to smell funky. Thanks!

post #2 of Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Turn the heat up all the way, and let it run with the heat on for a few hours.

Also, make sure your A/C drain isn't plugged, as that will fill the passenger side up with water too.

Please finish up the rest of your profile so we know more details about your Jeep please, and welcome to the forum!
post #3 of Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
mjplus7

Tried the heat already, still not dry. Not the AC, the AC doesn't work

I have a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I don't know all the details, I know it's an 8 cylinder.

The carpet will not dry because all the water is down in the padding, and the padding is covered with some type of plastic that holds the water in.

I stuck some rocks under the edge and as far to the center as I could, but still wet. Something is blocking my ability to lift past the center of the floor, some type of bracing or something.

Joan