Weird Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Weird Electrical Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
JCwithWizard
2002 WJ 

Weird Electrical Issue

2002 Overland - new forum user - Admin: if this forum is the wrong place to post this question feel free to move it. Thanks!

Weird problem.

A couple of months ago the AM radio in the vehicle started to make ‘popping’ noise and fading in and out as if I was driving in the middle of the desert at night. I thought there may have been something wrong with the radio until I was playing a CD and in a blank space in the audio I heard the popping sound - very much like a plug coil going off.

This Jeep has had its own share of electrical issues; seat heaters, mirror settings jump around, etc. Over the last few years I’ve had to replace the PCM three times - and the second to last time I did that I was told the problem was using the Interstate battery. The PCM remanufacturing place said that was it for sure - and so I took out my 1 year old Interstate and picked up a standard Costco battery - that did fix that problem!

However, now it seems that my driving lights are dim (although they do not brighten when revving the engine) and the radio has this fading / popping noise problem. During the daylight hours if I reeve the engine to 3,ooo rpm the fading of the radio goes away. Add driving lights and the fading comes back.

I’m thinking the problem may be the alternator - and I want to get that checked out. However, I thought I saw that the Overland came with a higher rated alternator.

Can anyone shed some light on the weird radio issue and confirm the correct alternator for this rig?

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by JCwithWizard; 10-14-2014 at 11:12 AM..
JCwithWizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.