Water pump replaced ~40k miles ago, leaking again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Water pump replaced ~40k miles ago, leaking again

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 09-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
jb1331

Water pump replaced ~40k miles ago, leaking again

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 162k on it, only drive it about 4-6k miles a year and is garage kept. I do start it and drive it at least once a week.
I have kept up with it over the years and bought it used with 29k miles in 1999. Engine is 4.0 L / straight 6

The water pump failed about 38k miles / 6.5 years ago with 124k on it. I replaced it and has been trouble free ever since a few weeks ago and appears to be leaking from the seal / bearings.

I am wondering if this is due to possibly one of the following:

1.) Maybe the serpentine belt is too tight?

2.) Fan clutch assembly out of balance?

3.) Fan is out of balance.

4.) Crappy after market part..

I thought I'd get alot more service out of the replaced pump.. Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

jb1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but on my wife's WJ I had the same issue with multiple aftermarket pumps (same supplier). I'd get 20-25k miles use out of them before they started leaking from the mounting gasket/o-ring (Mopar or aftermarket gasket, didn't matter). I've since installed a new Mopar pump, and so far so good, but she's only put on about 5k miles since the replacement.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Real men run the stock rear sway bar at any height
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
jb1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but on my wife's WJ I had the same issue with multiple aftermarket pumps (same supplier). I'd get 20-25k miles use out of them before they started leaking from the mounting gasket/o-ring (Mopar or aftermarket gasket, didn't matter). I've since installed a new Mopar pump, and so far so good, but she's only put on about 5k miles since the replacement.
Yeah, mine is definately leaking from the spindle / bearing / seal. You can see the fan pully go in and out so there is play in the water pump spindle. It does not look like the fan is out of balance... Probably just crap aftermarket pump from O'Reillys, even though it has a lifetime warranty.

Good thing is I always keep my receipts, and I will get another one for free (lifetime warranty) and at this rate will last me another 6 years lol.. I just replaced my rear hatch struts for free with a 10 year old receipt I dug up the yesterday lol.

I think I still have the original thermostat in there too, so I will go ahead and change that out when I am in there.
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

Yep, sounds like a bad bearing, being that the serpentine belt has an auto tensioner I doubt that the belt is too tight. A new t-stat would definitely be a good idea, lots of folks will recommend Mopar, but if you're shopping at O'Reilly, their T-stats are made by Motorad (out of Israel), the last Mopar stat I bought was stamped Motorad as well.

Build Thread

Unread 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
jb1331

wondering what temp is standard thermostat? I live in Texas and would like to put in something that would allow the engine to run a little cooler.
Unread 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

195* for both engines IIRC. I'd be careful running a cooler t-stat, like a 180* (most common), as it can cause a CEL (coolant temp too low for too long) and/or increased fuel consumption due to the engine not reaching closed loop operating conditions.

Build Thread

Unread 09-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
jb1331

Ahh ok, I went with OEM 195* thermostat. Luckily I work from home and took it apart at lunch. Wife got home at 4 and took me to the parts store. Swapped out the old water pump under warranty and picked up all the gaskets, RTV, hose clamps, coolant etc and out the door for $30.87 lol..

Got it all put back together, let the RTV dry about 3 hours and then added fluid. Started it up, let it get to full temp and drove it about 5 miles. No leaks ... Yeahh!!!

I am going to check the fluid in the morning to see if I need to add any fluid.

Now to shower up and scrub all the gunk out from underneath my fingernails ...
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
jb1331

4k miles later and noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the floor... Grrr.. Will have to take a closer look when I get a chance..

Update: Looks like a radiator leak.. grr
Unread 07-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
jb1331

This radiator is about 10 years old as I replaced the OEM one with one with metal tanks.. It is probably something that can be patched, but then again it is 10 years old with about 60k miles of use.

The radiator shop that sold it to me only has the OEM plastic tank style ones these days, so if that is my only local option, I will just go to Autozone and buy one with a lifetime warranty for $115. That way when the water pump goes out again, I'll just swap radiators at the same time LOL.
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1331 View Post
This radiator is about 10 years old as I replaced the OEM one with one with metal tanks.. It is probably something that can be patched, but then again it is 10 years old with about 60k miles of use.

The radiator shop that sold it to me only has the OEM plastic tank style ones these days, so if that is my only local option, I will just go to Autozone and buy one with a lifetime warranty for $115. That way when the water pump goes out again, I'll just swap radiators at the same time LOL.

I know that there's been an option for an all aluminum radiator on the WJ's for a couple years now, usually found on eBay. I wonder if there's anything for the ZJ's too?

Oh, and I'm happy to report that the Mopar water pump on the wife's 4.7 is still leak free.

Build Thread

Unread 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
jb1331

Funny thing... I went and took a look underneath and it appears to be leaking at a seam on the friken tank at the bottom by the host outlet LOL.. so much for metal tanks are better.. I already had this radiator patched once about 5 years ago. The Texas heat sure doesn't help these old Jeeps that tend to run hot anyhow.

Pep Boys sells the same radiator as Autozone and has 35% off all online orders.. so I can get a new rad (lifetime warranty), cap, and a gallon of antifreeze for $98.48 out the door.. Seems like a no brainer to go this route. I already have some extra ATF4 to top off.. only concern is the tranny lines.. but I found a video on line to cover the swap..

My new headlights are supposed to be here today or tomorrow so I will be working on the front end anyhow..woo hoo.

How much is the capacity for the tranny cooler so I can top that off?
Unread 07-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Jeeples
Elbows Deep In WJ's

2000 WJ 

I'd be surprised if it was much more than 1/2-3/4 of a quart of fluid, unless you're running a large external cooler.

Build Thread

Unread 07-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
jb1331

Got the old cooler out, new one in.. just need to hook the tranny cooler lines back up, fill the rad, burp, test...

Taking a break.. It is still 91 degrees in my garage (Texas).. having a box fan blow on me helps, but I usually only do this work in the spring / fall / winter around here.
Unread 07-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
jb1331

All is in, burped, tested and no leaks.. Yeah me.. I know I am not nearly as fast or as skilled as some of you guys around here.. but I take my time, study the forums, and youtube and make sure I do it right.

One note, I was able to use 4 small screw drivers on the quick disconnect on the tranny line.. works great as there are 4 tabs. I read about that in leau of the tool on these forums.

Good night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.