Wall Street Journal Grand Cherokee Recall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Wall Street Journal Grand Cherokee Recall

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Wall Street Journal Grand Cherokee Recall

Thanks Chrysler. I'd be happy if you just offered to fix my blend doors, but a tank tuck would be nice

image-3956807615.jpg  
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I've seen this in a few places already. Here's my response I've posted elsewhere:

If you get hit by something big enough going fast enough, any car will have a ruptured gas tank. If it met federal crash standards at the time though, they should not be forced to recall the vehicles.

However, I think that they should offer a hitch to anyone that doesn't have one. The factory hitch on that body style offers a lot of additional protection to the fuel tank. This might appease the NHTSA, be a good PR move, and (hopefully) save some lives. Also, it would be cheaper than modifying EVERY WJ Jeep out there. A lot of these probably already have hitches, and it's an existing fix that doesn't require major engineering time. And it's not like they can move the tank on the existing vehicles.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Thanks Chrysler. I'd be happy if you just offered to fix my blend doors, but a tank tuck would be nice
This has been around for a long time. The news people seem to report on it when the news is slow.

Its like 33 cases out of 2.7 million cars.

So, like .00014 percent have been affected. You are fine.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
I
However, I think that they should offer a hitch to anyone that doesn't have one. The factory hitch on that body style offers a lot of additional protection to the fuel tank. This might appease the NHTSA, be a good PR move, and (hopefully) save some lives. Also, it would be cheaper than modifying EVERY WJ Jeep out there. A lot of these probably already have hitches, and it's an existing fix that doesn't require major engineering time. And it's not like they can move the tank on the existing vehicles.
Not going to happen. The factory tow package comes with some extra equipment to make them suitable to handle to additional loads that towing places on the vehicle.

If anything, expect them to install a factory skid plate or develop a crossmember that will bolt up to the same place as a trailer hitch (essentially a hitch without the place for the receiver).

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Not going to happen. The factory tow package comes with some extra equipment to make them suitable to handle to additional loads that towing places on the vehicle.

If anything, expect them to install a factory skid plate or develop a crossmember that will bolt up to the same place as a trailer hitch (essentially a hitch without the place for the receiver).
Besides a tranny cooler, the WJ's didn't come with anything different with or with out the hitch.

Unread 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Besides a tranny cooler, the WJ's didn't come with anything different with or with out the hitch.
Isn't the gear ratio different as well, or was that strictly a ZJ thing? I know the 4.7's came equipped with a power steering cooler as well.

Regardless, I would be really surprised if they slapped on trailer hitches on as a fix.

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Isn't the gear ratio different as well, or was that strictly a ZJ thing? I know the 4.7's came equipped with a power steering cooler as well.

Regardless, I would be really surprised if they slapped on trailer hitches on as a fix.
I stand corrected, with the tow package the gear ratio does go from 3.55 to 3.73. I think the power steering cooler was an option for either tow package or not.

And yeah, I doubt there is going to be a fix anyways. I think there is only 1 fatality. I'm not saying having one death from this is acceptable, but thinking in statistics, it is not probable that it could happen to you. And honestly, I think most cars that get slammed from 50 MPH have gas tank problems. Let alone the fact that you could easily die from the snapped neck more than the gas tank exploding.

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
metalhead
2000 WJ 

i was rear ended pretty hard by a taxi cab. My hitch completely mangled the front of that crown vic. I only had a couple of dents in the bumper. The cab did scrape the skid plate on the gas tank. I'm not worried. I say if anything just reinforce the skid plate or like someone else posted add a crossbar in the place of a hitch.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
I stand corrected, with the tow package the gear ratio does go from 3.55 to 3.73. I think the power steering cooler was an option for either tow package or not.

And yeah, I doubt there is going to be a fix anyways. I think there is only 1 fatality. I'm not saying having one death from this is acceptable, but thinking in statistics, it is not probable that it could happen to you. And honestly, I think most cars that get slammed from 50 MPH have gas tank problems. Let alone the fact that you could easily die easier from the snapped neck then the gas tank exploding.
Exactly.

Most of these incidents (like 40 or so IIRC?) were involving the Grand Cherokees being at a complete stand still and getting rear ended by a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed.

You'd be hard pressed to walk away from a wreck like that, no matter what kind of vehicle you're driving.

Unread 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Exactly.

Most of these incidents (like 40 or so IIRC?) were involving the Grand Cherokees being at a complete stand still and getting rear ended by a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed.

You'd be hard pressed to walk away from a wreck like that, no matter what kind of vehicle you're driving.
The ABC News article says a stopped Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear-ended by a TRACTOR-TRAILER which caused the fire to start.

I mean, what the hell do you think would happen with *any* vehicle with a rear gas tank.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to GD with the other numerous threads on this topic.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Quote:

I didn't expect that they would install everything additional from a factory tow package, just the hitch. I added a factory one (junkyard find) to my '02, and observed how well it boxed in the tank. Of course, what I forgot was that the bumper would need cut and a bezel added for that fix. So yeah, a hitch without a receiver mounted to it would work just as well, with no mods needed anywhere else.

I doubt they will offer the repair, but I think the press will turn it into a PR nightmare for them if they don't. So I think they would be wise to offer this repair to anyone without a hitch.

My dad pulled a guy out of a burning Lumina that got rear-ended by a dump truck that was going about 65mph. He was waiting to cross the highway, while the guy in the Lumina was waiting to turn left off of the highway. He said when the truck hit it, it immediately burst into flames, like something out of a movie. The sad part is that until my dad ran up to pull the guy out, everyone else was sitting in their cars just staring at the wreck. It's like they expected that a guy that just got hit by a truck would be able to get himself out of the burning car. Luckily when others saw him trying to get the guy out, they ran up to help pull him out of the window. I've never been more proud of him, and thankfully the guy he rescued survived.

I wonder how many of the people that died in these Jeeps had bystanders watching them burn to death, instead of helping? My dad put himself in danger to rescue a total stranger, knowing that he himself could have received more severe burns than he did. The media will blast Chrysler for doing nothing, when it's our society that is the real problem.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
TheMadMax

Is my 2004 Grand Cherokee involved?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Trail Rated model. (Loredo). Is mine in this group being debated about the gas tank recall? Sounds like it. I have a fatory trailer hitch installed. Maybe we'll get gas tank skid plates out of the deal if they do recall?
TheMadMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.