VonEricsen's Build thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > VonEricsen's Build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #121
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Made it to Banff and Jasper and back.

Valley of 10 peaks

Next to Lake Moraine

On the way to Jasper:

Near bridal veil falls and panther falls:

Tried out HDR mode on my phone. Turned out pretty good if you ask me

Camping in Jasper:

Nothing wrong with the jeep, but I did hurt my knee while hiking...so I guess my outdoor activity has been limited to wheeling. lol

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #122
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Went to the junkyard and found a header panel intact (except for one spot that had a small crack) and installed it plus the 9er grille.
I also pulled some tow hooks or my brothers cherokee.
And decided that the paint on the cladding had faded enough to redo that, but this time I decided to try plasti dip...cool stuff, just hope it holds up well.

I flipped the light brackets / mounts for the old style header panel around to use temporarily for my PIAA lights, but I'm going to be building new ones and hopefully I'll learn some welding in the process.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #123
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Apparently it's my lucky day. I get to replace the driver door window because the ****ing thing just shattered.

Unread 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #124
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

All of these photos were taken in Colorado? Why have I never happened upon these places before? Also, I hurt my knee while hiking last month, too. So I guess it must be the thing to do this year. It's still bothering me. I think I'm getting too old for this. 30, really? Heck. Let's hope for quick healing.

Man, that's tough about your door glass. How the heck? Good luck getting it replaced.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #125
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Good to hear from you again! When are you going to get another jeep? Haha

Those pictures were taken in Banff national park Alberta Canada. Awesome place to visit if you get the chance!
My knee feels a lot better and this time it's not just because of the beer! Haha

This isn't going to be a fun repair but i'll figure it out and get it done. Maybe even take a long lunch this week to go pull a window. Just gotta figure out the required tools first.

Unread 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #126
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Replaced the window. Really easy. Also installed a new spedo gear to correct my speedometer. Tore the gasket installing it....rtv to the rescue! Lol.
Hopefully my next update will be more exciting.

Unread 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #127
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

The other day I got to learn how to weld and made some light brackets for my jeep....they are way overkill, but i really liked getting to make them.
I still need to drill holes, then prime and paint them, but heres some pictures. Some of my welds came out pretty good for my first time welding, others not so much. haha.

I might try and finish them and mount them this weekend, then throw the bumper cover back on, but I haven't decided yet.

Unread 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #128
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonericsen View Post
The other day I got to learn how to weld and made some light brackets for my jeep....they are way overkill, but i really liked getting to make them.
I still need to drill holes, then prime and paint them, but heres some pictures. Some of my welds came out pretty good for my first time welding, others not so much. haha.

I might try and finish them and mount them this weekend, then throw the bumper cover back on, but I haven't decided yet.
Looks good! Where're you gonna mount em??

I really need to learn how to weld, itd be such a nice skill especially in this car hobby.

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #129
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I'm going to mount them on the front bumper. In the pic where I mounted the niner grille, I just turned the 93-95 header panel supports around and reused them, which works, but they aren't very strong and are hardly being held on.
These brackets will replace those, clear the grill better (Lets me decide which height to mount them at) and will be stronger...then I'll modify my existing bumper cover to fit. I just gotta figure out how to make it look good when I modify it. haha.

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #130
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Got the lights mounted to the new brackets and WOW what a difference They don't bounce or wobble at all.

They clear the grille without a problem too

I decided to modify my existing bumper cover to work with the newer grille and lights.
I used some plastic epoxy putty to put it together after cutting, but I still have to figure out the rounded edge.

Mounted it until I get time to finish the rounded portion, then I'll be painting it.

(I fixed the bad light mount on my pass headlight in this picture by pulling out the aftermarket mount and putting the oem mount in it's place).

Next weekend I'll finish it and paint it. I'll also finally extend my breather hoses. I already bought everything I need, just need to do the work now.

Unread 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #131
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Bumper fell apart on me so I destroyed it. If I want a bumper I guess I'll be buying one or making one...
Got the breathers extended today. I just have the transmission left, so at some point when I have help removing the transmission, I'll raise that one.
Last thing I did was get out the sledge and beat the pinch seam flat...that should prevent me from tearing up my tires...someday I'll find hockey pucks and extend my bumpstops, but that can wait for now....And now I REALLY want to go wheeling.

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #132
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Trannys not so bad with the right tools you can almost do it by yourself. Btw whats your opinion on wheeling with the UC +bb combo? Havent gotten to seriously try mine as of yet but it seems to work for you. Im leaning towards getting the iro 3.5 Because its said to sit closer to 4 and then get adj arms but is it worth it or is the UC +bb pretty solid for wheeling? I mean i live in florida so we dont have any real serious stuff except for like ocala hardrock or ocala national forest and that i know for a fact i can do with just the bb and 31s and no discos. Just looking for opinions on the set up. I envy the spots you get to go.wheeling man i wish i could get my jeep up there one of these days
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #133
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

What tools? I have all sorts of sockets and ratchets and extensions if that's all I'll need (Besides a jack).

So my setup is BB+Upcountry+JK shocks so it was done cheaply.
Things I like:
-Cheap

Things I don't like;
-Without trackbars I get some bump steer
-Tires rub when turning one direction on the street (off center axle), but even wheels with more backspacing can help that
-While the ride isn't horrible, it isn't great either.
-Need to bumpstop because I rubbed a lot on my last wheeling trip (will have pics up soon).

If you want something cheap that just works, then this setup is fine.
If you want something that works well and rides nicer, then get the IRO kit.

I've been thinking a lot about what direction I want to take my jeep and I'd like to end up with 4.5" lift (probably long arms) with an 8.8 and lockers (ECTED or EATON), and some weld in rock sliders.
The way I see it, I'll make do with this cheap lift until I'm ready to spend some real money (within the next couple years).
Not to mention, I don't go out wheeling very often right now, so this setup is fine for how often I go and the trails I do. If you're out a lot more you'll probably want something else. So you might want to take that into consideration with your jeep too.

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #134
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Went wheeling with my dad a couple weeks ago and forgot to upload some pictures.

This ledge was fun

I did end up making it after rubbing my front diff and spinning my tires looking for traction

This was the first ledge going up the trail and the last one coming back down

Those were from a short trail in the area called the Ironclads. Fun for a short trail.
We went out a second day and did a shallow water crossing and some mud and some rutted areas and a few good places to test suspension flex...I rubbed a lot that day. I need to order myself some hockey pucks.

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #135
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Got to get my snorkel today on the way to work... It works...

The flooding is really bad here. Definitely not going to work tomorrow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.