VonEricsen's Build thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > VonEricsen's Build thread

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #106
billyzj
1994 ZJ 

ive always wanted to go to colorado,i think that would be the ultimate wheeling trip

billyzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #107
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonericsen View Post
alright, I haven't done much lately, but earlier today I pulled a 231 with my dad but idk when I'll have time to swap it since I have to pull mine and swap inputs...might be a summer project.

I have had a problem with my K & N seating all the way on my throttle body, so I bought a 1/2" spacer and this has resolved this problem, although I had to trim my hood a little bit too.
I had the same issue back when I used the FIPK and I used some gasket shelak and made a short spacer out of 2-3 OEM air hat gaskets glued together....worked and no hood trimming.
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #108
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzj View Post
ive always wanted to go to colorado,i think that would be the ultimate wheeling trip
I love living in Colorado. Lots of places to wheel, camp, hike etc. Plus the scenery is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSUV View Post
I had the same issue back when I used the FIPK and I used some gasket shelak and made a short spacer out of 2-3 OEM air hat gaskets glued together....worked and no hood trimming.
I hear it's an issue that a lot of people end up having with the FIPK...I just got tired of it being a pain to remove when I had to do something else near it. I went to the stock airbox with a durango hat already. Your solution sounds better than the spacer I bought.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #109
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Over the last couple days I've been laying on my parent's garage floor helping my dad install his new 2.5" lift on his JK. That was quite a bit of work and makes me really jealous. lol.
After we got his lift installed we took the old stock JK shocks and put them on my ZJ. They were about an inch longer than the ones I had but only have 30k miles on them instead of 100K+ my old shocks had. A welcomed "new to me" part for sure.

If anyone else attempts installing JK stock shocks, it isn't too bad although a couple things are tricky.

fronts: you will need to push out the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing and push a bar pin (like the ones on your stock/old shocks) into the bottom rubber bushing. After that the install is really painless (other than under all the break lines on the driver side)

rears: JK's have a bar pin on the top mount, you will need to pull/push/ beat it out with a BFH. I also found I had to pry the lower mount on the axle open to accept the shock, but that wasn't difficult. The hard part was pushing the rubber bushing over the top mounting point...the hole in the bushing is tiny...we had to beat it on there with a BFH and pushed the rubber bushing out of the shock once, so we had to use a vise to pop it back in. Recommendation: use dish soap to lube it up, made it much easier.

On another note: I bought Doug Thorley headers and will probably be buying Kolak's exhaust soon, then getting that installed....gotta fix that bad exhaust leak I have

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #110
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonericsen View Post
Over the last couple days I've been laying on my parent's garage floor helping my dad install his new 2.5" lift on his JK. That was quite a bit of work and makes me really jealous. lol.
After we got his lift installed we took the old stock JK shocks and put them on my ZJ. They were about an inch longer than the ones I had but only have 30k miles on them instead of 100K+ my old shocks had. A welcomed "new to me" part for sure.

If anyone else attempts installing JK stock shocks, it isn't too bad although a couple things are tricky.

fronts: you will need to push out the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing and push a bar pin (like the ones on your stock/old shocks) into the bottom rubber bushing. After that the install is really painless (other than under all the break lines on the driver side)

rears: JK's have a bar pin on the top mount, you will need to pull/push/ beat it out with a BFH. I also found I had to pry the lower mount on the axle open to accept the shock, but that wasn't difficult. The hard part was pushing the rubber bushing over the top mounting point...the hole in the bushing is tiny...we had to beat it on there with a BFH and pushed the rubber bushing out of the shock once, so we had to use a vise to pop it back in. Recommendation: use dish soap to lube it up, made it much easier.

On another note: I bought Doug Thorley headers and will probably be buying Kolak's exhaust soon, then getting that installed....gotta fix that bad exhaust leak I have
Jealous
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #111
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

My dad and I went offroading today on the Pierson Park Trail. Not very difficult, but I still had fun.

And we took videos of the only difficult part of the trail.

Unread 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #112
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Love your Jeep bud! Dads is looking good too
'96ZJ-4.0L, 3.5" IRO suspension lift, RC Quick Discos, 31x10.50R15, 292,xxx miles, Colorado Jeep Club Member #1996
Coyn1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #113
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

what camera was that video shot with? the steady cam is really impressive. so smooth
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #114
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyn1324 View Post
Love your Jeep bud! Dads is looking good too
Thanks! I think he was excited to test out his new lift, but who can blame him? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
what camera was that video shot with? the steady cam is really impressive. so smooth
It was shot on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and it was a little shaky, but I was still impressed with how it came out. When I uploaded it to youtube, it offered to fix the remaining shakiness and that's what made it buttery smooth.
If you look closely, you will see places where things look a little distorted, the computer probably removed a couple frames or modified the frame a little to make it appear smoother.

Unread 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #115
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Rigs lookin' good there! Keep up the good work.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #116
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Did some work to my jeep and my brothers jeep lately.

First, on my brother's jeep we installed a factory tire carrier:

Holding the inner bracket in place to figure out where to drill the holes

All done and mounted (everywhere in between wasn't super exciting since most of the holes were already there for the install)

Open and holding the tire. Doesn't sag at all. I like the design better than the mopar zj tire carrier personally.

one last shot from the side

We also brought it to a friend to have a plate welded under the driver side carpet because there was a lot of rust...once all the rust was removed there was about a 4 to 6 in size hole. Got that plate welded in and sealed and painted...now it won't have the floor rust the rest of the way out.

Next we went to work on my jeep.
First, I checked the oil catch can I installed a while back

I just zip tied it in place...heres a pic:

After this, I dropped the tcase because the transmission output seal was leaking and fixed that with a new seal, then did a fluid change by dropping the pan...first time I've ever done that and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
There was a little metal in the pan, but I don't know if it's enough to start worrying about anything:

Then came time to install my Christmas present...a Snorkel! I won't be hydrolocking the engine again any time soon! haha

I started looking through the parts list and found I was missing the mounting studs, so I bought some stainless steel screws with the correct thread and cut the heads off of them (I wanted to make sure I don't have rust problems or anything like that).
After I read through the instructions I found online, I had a hell of a time finding a 4.75" hole saw, but eventually my dad found one and the install began.

I started with the airbox and closed off the original intake hole:

Then I cut out the new hole with a dremel:

A view of the cut out hole and sealed plate from the inside:

Mounted the new metal piece to the box and sealed it:

Now that the airbox was done, I moved on to the fender, I taped off where I would be drilling an cutting, lined up the template and marked and driller the pilot holes:

And then I hit a snag...the hole saw and auger mount bit wouldn't fit the drill we had! It was too late to go out and rent a better drill so we had to wait until morning.
We used the hole saw to cut this hole...which was quite difficult because it snagged a couple times and we could hardly keep the drill from twisting, but we eventually got the hole cut.

Because I have a 95, I also had to cut out some metal next to the airbox, whereas you guys with newer jeeps have a plastic panel to pop off (as the instructions say)
We couldn't fit the drill in here with the hole saw, so instead we used our dremel with a cutting bit on it. Not too pretty looking but it works.

I had to oval out the hole away from the headlight because I found, when test fitting, that the piece going inside the fender wouldn't push that far forward, so I cut a little more metal and it went in much easier.

After this (and while I waited for the paint to dry over the bare metal) I mounted the upper bracket.

I then trimmed the piece of trim that goes along side the windshield and holds the rubber door seal to fit around the bracket:

I then installed the piece that goes inside the fender and the airbox:

Then came time to mount the last piece and of course the last lock nut to install was the hardest...and therefore was dropped into some place I couldn't find or remove it from...so I had to get another from the hardware store
(Its the stud at the very top of the picture, closest to the driver door)

But I got it done, and it looks great! I sealed everything up with lots of black rtv, so now I have to extend some breather hoses and put it to the test.

And sometime soon I hope to finally get around to installing the headers (I need to talk to Kolak about his cat+back system sometime).

Unread 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #117
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Over the past couple weeks my luck has sucked. Drained the battery, had minor security issues when trying to jump it a second time and my power steering pump died on me. Occasionally it feels like my tranny is slipping as well, so I'm "thrilled" with this vehicle right now.

This weekend I replaced the pump and the lines (pump was under warranty). I got this working, then my security went off the next morning at 8am...I thought it was just the weak battery since it was getting harder to start and that has usually been the case in the past so I bought a Die Hard Platinum P4 to replace it.

That seemed to fix it until 8PM that night...and 8AM the next morning...so I went through the grounds on the sensors and cleaned them up as well as the connections and so far so good *knock on wood*
I hope that fixed it since a couple grounds looked a little rusty, but I'm almost positive that my bad luck will continue sometime this week, sooner or later.

On a possibly positive note, Seagate is giving out midyear bonus' soon so I might buy myself more cool stuff (if nothing else breaks).

Unread 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #118
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Oh, almost forgot. I did some basic leak testing of the snorkel with the hose, and it seems everything is sealed correctly. Next weekend I plan to raise the breathers.

Unread 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #119
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Not much going on lately.
Transmission has been acting funny but checked the fluid level and it was down 2 qts, so that was an easy fix.
I'm buying a house so the jeep is getting less love in the meantime, but at least I'll have a garage to do work in.

I did some exploring today and found the start of a trailhead that I didn't realize was so close...so that is now added to my list of things to do this summer.

The start or Ironclads:

Also, I probably need new head lights since they fall out when wheeling

lol...it fell all the way out by the time I got back to the highway and I had to stop and fix that.

Unread 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #120
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

Just got new tires on my zj and window visors. (exciting I know)
Been getting waves from wranglers in town and it confuses me a little. haha.

Friday morning I start my drive to Banff, Alberta, Canada for a camping trip. Should be a great time ...I just hope I make it there without any issues!

Also construction on the place I'm buying starts this next month...I'm excited to have a garage!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.