Did some work to my jeep and my brothers jeep lately.
First, on my brother's jeep we installed a factory tire carrier:
Holding the inner bracket in place to figure out where to drill the holes
All done and mounted (everywhere in between wasn't super exciting since most of the holes were already there for the install)
Open and holding the tire. Doesn't sag at all. I like the design better than the mopar zj tire carrier personally.
one last shot from the side
We also brought it to a friend to have a plate welded under the driver side carpet because there was a lot of rust...once all the rust was removed there was about a 4 to 6 in size hole. Got that plate welded in and sealed and painted...now it won't have the floor rust the rest of the way out.
Next we went to work on my jeep.
First, I checked the oil catch can I installed a while back
I just zip tied it in place...heres a pic:
After this, I dropped the tcase because the transmission output seal was leaking and fixed that with a new seal, then did a fluid change by dropping the pan...first time I've ever done that and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
There was a little metal in the pan, but I don't know if it's enough to start worrying about anything:
Then came time to install my Christmas present...a Snorkel! I won't be hydrolocking the engine again any time soon! haha
I started looking through the parts list and found I was missing the mounting studs, so I bought some stainless steel screws with the correct thread and cut the heads off of them (I wanted to make sure I don't have rust problems or anything like that).
After I read through the instructions I found online, I had a hell of a time finding a 4.75" hole saw, but eventually my dad found one and the install began.
I started with the airbox and closed off the original intake hole:
Then I cut out the new hole with a dremel:
A view of the cut out hole and sealed plate from the inside:
Mounted the new metal piece to the box and sealed it:
Now that the airbox was done, I moved on to the fender, I taped off where I would be drilling an cutting, lined up the template and marked and driller the pilot holes:
And then I hit a snag...the hole saw and auger mount bit wouldn't fit the drill we had! It was too late to go out and rent a better drill so we had to wait until morning.
We used the hole saw to cut this hole...which was quite difficult because it snagged a couple times and we could hardly keep the drill from twisting, but we eventually got the hole cut.
Because I have a 95, I also had to cut out some metal next to the airbox, whereas you guys with newer jeeps have a plastic panel to pop off (as the instructions say)
We couldn't fit the drill in here with the hole saw, so instead we used our dremel with a cutting bit on it. Not too pretty looking but it works.
I had to oval out the hole away from the headlight because I found, when test fitting, that the piece going inside the fender wouldn't push that far forward, so I cut a little more metal and it went in much easier.
After this (and while I waited for the paint to dry over the bare metal) I mounted the upper bracket.
I then trimmed the piece of trim that goes along side the windshield and holds the rubber door seal to fit around the bracket:
I then installed the piece that goes inside the fender and the airbox:
Then came time to mount the last piece and of course the last lock nut to install was the hardest...and therefore was dropped into some place I couldn't find or remove it from...so I had to get another from the hardware store
(Its the stud at the very top of the picture, closest to the driver door)
But I got it done, and it looks great! I sealed everything up with lots of black rtv, so now I have to extend some breather hoses and put it to the test.
And sometime soon I hope to finally get around to installing the headers (I need to talk to Kolak about his cat+back system sometime).