The VERY slow '04 WJ Special Edition Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The VERY slow '04 WJ Special Edition Build Thread

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Tinted tail lights.

So this is the first mod I have done, and that's cause it was cheap haha. Felt so good to finally do something to it! And I am happy with the results.

img_0305.jpg
A light sanding with wet 1200 grit, cleaned and degreased.
img_0307.jpg
First coat, 3rd brake light turned out a little darker then I wanted.
img_0321.jpg
Ready for tint.
img_0322.jpg
Wanted a light tint, not black, I think they turned out just right.
img_0326.jpg
Also put a clear coat over the tint to help protect it.
img_0327.jpg
Finished.
img_0328.jpg
Pretty dark, but you can see the light perfectly when brake is initiated.
img_0329.jpg

I used Rust-Oleum tint, I wanted VHT Night Shades, but they were sold out. It worked well though, also used Rust-Oleum clear enamel. It was $20 total, and maybe 2 hours of actual work time, waiting took the longest.

macbethpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Will post some pics from the trail, and stock flexing later!
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

These are the trail and stock flex pics.

img_0308.jpg

img_0309.jpg

img_0310.jpg

img_0311.jpg

img_0312.jpg

img_0316.jpg

img_0320.jpg

img_0325.jpg

img_0323.jpg

img_0317.jpg

This was at an OHV area right in town, 200 acres of land! This is the easiest trail, but stil SO much fun. I was very surprised at how easily the WJ went up and down that hill, it was much more rough then it looks in the pic, very capable vehicles!
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Grill mod.

So I have just been itching to work on my Jeep, but funds just have been limitting me greatly, and will be a while before I can do anything significant to it. So meanwhile, I am going to try and keep myself busy with all the cool, cheap mods that are on this site. Todays mod: grill.
img_0332.jpg
Also decided to paint the grill while I was at it.
img_0333.jpg
Stock.
img_0335.jpg

img_0337.jpg
Did it a little different then I have seen. Didnt use any glue, but instead relied on the sub fram of the grill to hold the mesh in place, also each piece is individualy wrapped, and on there pretty solid.
img_0339.jpg
Thoroughly cleaned, and lightly sanded just for the heck of it.
img_0340.jpg
Done!
img_0342.jpg

img_0343.jpg

img_0341.jpg
Very happy with the results, it turned out better then I thought! My wife REALLY liked it too, as well as the tail lights, so now I think I have won her trust and free reign over the customizations!

PS Mods if you happen to read this, can you please move this thread to the GC General Discussion, where most builds seem to be, thanks!
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Looks good! Where did you get the wire mesh?
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #21
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Grill looks cool. Are you in redding ca? What ohv park is that?
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Commander - I got that at Ace Hardware, they sell it buy the foot, and comes in different grate sizes, I got the smallest.

Creep - I am in Redding, and that is Shasta-Chappie OHV. I have looked at your build thread quite often, which is amazing by the way, and never even noticed you are in Oroville!
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

After seeing yours and Dillonjm's jeep, I am obsessing over axle swaps haha, my wife is about sick of hearing about it! Lol. Won't be till far down the road though. You have any good resources for reading up on it more?
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Thanks Macbeth! I went through the same thing with my wife haha. Dillonjm's build is awesome, really good info for a wj build in there, there's several guys on here that have done axle swaps. Mntnmarc, black04wj, agitatedpancake, are just a few others that have helpful threads. Basically obsessive searching through different forums is how I decided what I wanted to do. Mall crawlin and pirate4x4 have tons of info on axles and swaps. I didn't have a well thought out plan like most the guys on here, I just had a bunch of parts from 1 build and made them work on my wj trying to save as much money anywhere I could to keep my wife somewhat happy. Slow well thought out builds tend to go smoother.
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Well yours still turned out incredible, that thing is freakin huge, I showed my wife today and told her you were near by, and did the swaps. She saw yours and just laughed, like yeah right, keep dreamin haha, WJ is currently the famil rig so. My name is Josh by the way. Do you ever do any wheeling in this area? Or near by, trying to find some fun spots, that a stock rig (for now) can do.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

The wj is our family camping vehicle, even if I'm not gonna wheel it i still take it on all the camping trips, I have a 3yr old who loves it and wants to take it everywhere and a daughter that was just born yesterday. My wife used to laugh when I wanted 35s and a straight axle under my Nissan, but over time I would con her in to letting me add more and more to my vehicle. Eventually I had a ton of expensive parts on a truck she hated, so I told her to pick a vehicle she liked and I would put the parts on there, she picked the jeep, she's cool like that. We go to the high lakes often usually for snow but there great camping and lots of trails there and I think there's an entrance from red bluff area. You can check out friendsofthehighlakes.com for trail info. I wanna find more info on that Shasta-chappie ohv park I had never heard of it before.
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Man you're wife sounds pretty cool. That's what I am doing though, at first she didn't want me to do anything at all, but now she really likes what I have done, so we will see how far I can take it

I will definitely check out the high lakes. Shasta Chappie is right outside of redding, it's basically in between Keswick and Shasta dam, and I believe it's 200 acres or so, and quite a few trails. Trail head 4 is the fun trail I guess, but I can't go on it while I'm stock. Type in Shasta-chappie OHV trail head 4 in YouTube and there are a couple short videos. It's pretty fun, I really want to go to the Hogsback area outside of Red Bluff, I hear there's lots of good trails there.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

And by the way congratulations on the new baby! Life wouldn't be the same without my daughter, she is hilarious, and so far loves "off'n road'n" haha
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbethpoe1 View Post
And by the way congratulations on the new baby! Life wouldn't be the same without my daughter, she is hilarious, and so far loves "off'n road'n" haha
Thanks. Kids are definitely life changers, in a good way.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Hey guys, so I have a question for you. I just found out I have access to a NP242 TC, it's actually the older "242 AMC" version, but from what I can tell from research, is the same thing, name just changed after Chrysler took over I believe. Anyway, I can get it for free, and then I would like to rebuild it. I would really like the extra gear options, especially 2wd for on road driving. I have the 247 now, hooked to the 42RE transmission. Aside from drive shafts, does anyone know if this would be a fairly straight forward swap? I want to change driveshafts anyway, especially the front as its Rezzeppa. Anyway, thanks for any help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.