The VERY slow '04 WJ Special Edition Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The VERY slow '04 WJ Special Edition Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

The VERY slow '04 WJ Special Edition Build Thread

Hello everyone, my name is Josh. I have been reading the site for a very long time, but this will be one of my first posts I think, if not my first. I am not expert, and try to just learn and get ideas, as there is so much information on this site, and I am greatly appreciative towards everyone whom contributes here!

Anyway, I have owned Jeeps since I started driving, I had an '88 XJ two door, which unfortunately I was never able to get running, I was a teen and didnt have much money or help, but mostly not enough motivation haha. Then later on I had a '98 ZJ Laredo, I loved this Jeep very much, but had to sell it to go to school. Now, a few years later, I finally got what I have always wanted, a WJ!

It is a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Special Edition. L6 motor with NV 247 (Quadra-Trac II) transfer case, Dana 30 front, and despite the tow package, Dana 35 in the rear, was really hoping it was a 44. This is like the perfect Jeep for me, as it has the straight 6 engine which I am a huge fan of, but its the Special Edition so has lots of bells and wistles, like painted cladding as on the Limiteds. Oh, and it only has 1 PO, with almost a perfect maintenance log, and 97,xxx miles. I still wanted to change all fluids/filters/spark plugs though for my own peace of mind.

Now some pictures:

img_0278.jpg-2-.jpg

img_0807.jpg

img_4563.jpg

img_4564.jpg

img_4660.jpg

macbethpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Oh and also, I have a question as well. The EVIC has been telling me that my gas mileage is always around 13. Since I got the Jeep about 2 weeks ago, it has only ranged from 12.9-13.2 mpg?? Doesnt matter if I am on the freeway, in town, or offroad, it has always said the same thing??? And it does seem like I have put more gas in it then I should have, for the amount of driving I have done. I figured with it being stock, I would get about 16/22 which seems to be what everyone else is getting when I did the research.
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
WJChris

1999 WJ 

EVIC is not very correct. Use the manual method.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Yeah I will try that! And sorry about the sideways pictures, not sure what happened there...
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbethpoe1 View Post
Oh and also, I have a question as well. The EVIC has been telling me that my gas mileage is always around 13. Since I got the Jeep about 2 weeks ago, it has only ranged from 12.9-13.2 mpg?? Doesnt matter if I am on the freeway, in town, or offroad, it has always said the same thing??? And it does seem like I have put more gas in it then I should have, for the amount of driving I have done. I figured with it being stock, I would get about 16/22 which seems to be what everyone else is getting when I did the research.
Very nice dub! About the EVIC, it always lies. When i got mine about 10 months ago it it said 14mpgs and i was like ok, not bad . but then i changed my oil and i figured i would reset it after my first oil change ~4 months ago and to this day it only says 12.8 but my actual hand calculation says about 14-16 mpgs city. It likes to like lol. And with the feeling of using more gas than it "should" maybe your just using a heavy foot to hear the I6 . However if the MPGs arent what you want you can try a few things...

-Switch to synthetic (possible increase, no change on my overhead from dino oil)
-replace your diff fluids (gave my +0.3 MPGs on the overhead)
-check/replace air filter (some say it helps,some say it does nothing due to the computer adjusting the mixture. personally, if its dirty ,change it. better for the jeep)
-fuel filter (No increase on MPG's according to my overhead, but starts a little easier and again it was dirty. anything dirty can affect it)
-Proper tire inflation (For 225/75r16's its 34-35 psi, its on your drivers door)
-Highway tires (less weight,less rolling resistance as opposed to all terrains)

ive done a lot of maintenance items on my 04 Laredo (all fluids aside from Tranny and Coolant because they look good still) because im overly paranoid about mine and i dont have the PO service records so

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
OffroadOran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great-looking Jeep. Personally, I think you'll find that the 22 mpg is a dream. You'll be closer to 18-19 in reality, highway, checking it manually by miles driven / gallons at the pump. And that's driving it very conservatively.

Good luck,
Pete
Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the ideas offroadoran, those are all things I plan on doing anyway! I'm like you, even WITH the service records, I just want to know, for a fact that all fluids are in top notch shape. And as for tire inflation, they were running a little low, and I just topped them off so we will see if that helps. On my next fill up, I am going to manually figure my miles, I think that's the best thing to do. I just need to stop looking at that EVIC, it messes with my head haha.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Yea anytime and doesnt being paranoid about it kinda suck? i got mine from a dealer so im hoping all is well and so far so good. When I calculate, i calculate how many gallons i put in vs how many miles i do before i need to fill up the equal amount i put in. To each his own

04 Steel Blue Pearl laredo WJ 4.0L, NV242 TC, 42RE Trans, Dana 30 & 35C, 3.55 gears: 99% stock. 80k miles
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Yeah that is basically the equation I found when searching online, after I do it I will post back and let you know what I get. Any ideas for fixing my sideways pictures? Haha
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

u mean the original pictures u posted of the grand? they all look in proper orientation to me

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Oh I know what the problem is, I'm on my ipad right now, posted them on my computer. Never mind.
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
CommanderWJ
2001 WJ 

Nice looking Jeep!
2001 WJ 4.7 V8 Ltd QD. 2" Rough Country BB, TF QD's, Rough Country shocks, BDS Adjustable front UCA's, RC 2.2 steering damper, 245-70R17 Firestone Destination muds/ 245-75R17 Wrangler A/T's on Moab's, Flat Land non-winch steel bumper, rear sway bar removed, Power Brake matched disc and pad set. More to come!
CommanderWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
ram1320
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbethpoe1 View Post
Did you reset the MPG reading? Starting in '02 or '03, they changed from Instant MPG to Average MPG so what you might be seeing is the average MPG since the last reset, or since it rolled off the lot. Get up to cruising speed, display the MPG and hold reset (same as resetting the service display) and you should see a better MPG.

The most accurate way is doing the math manually but I believe the average MPG is more accurate than instant, as long as you reset before the trip you want to read.

Also, replacing the o2 sensors at 110,000 miles gave me a noticeable increase in MPG.
ram1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
OffroadOran
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1320

Did you reset the MPG reading? Starting in '02 or '03, they changed from Instant MPG to Average MPG so what you might be seeing is the average MPG since the last reset, or since it rolled off the lot. Get up to cruising speed, display the MPG and hold reset (same as resetting the service display) and you should see a better MPG.

The most accurate way is doing the math manually but I believe the average MPG is more accurate than instant, as long as you reset before the trip you want to read.

Also, replacing the o2 sensors at 110,000 miles gave me a noticeable increase in MPG.
I got less after i reset it for some reason

Unread 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
macbethpoe1
2004 WJ 

Wow that is something I haven't run across in my research yet! I will definitely try that! And I will report back after I do it manually, just filled up today!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.