V6 vs V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > V6 vs V8

TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.comTactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!

Unread 03-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #1
robvasi
2015 WK 

V6 vs V8

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I went to the Dealer with the V8 in mind. The salesmen talked me into the V6 and we found one that had everything I wanted, two states away. It will arrive tomorrow. The loan has been initiated.

Now I wish I had gotten the V8. It is too early to call the dealer, but I will soon. What is your take on this: Will I be able to cancel the order on the Jeep that they went to all the trouble to bring in for me?

I don't want to cause a problem; I just want the right Jeep for me. I know the V8 is $3,195 more, and I am willing to pay the dealer something for the delivery.

What do you think will happen if I ask them to find me one with the V8?

robvasi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
derekmac

2002 WJ 

If you haven't signed any paperwork, then you have every right to change the order. If they try and give you grief, tell them you'll go to another dealer.

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
robvasi
2015 WK 

I signed the Retail Installment Contract and Security Agreement for the loan.
I also signed the Motor Vehicle Contract of sale; which lists the VIN Number. So, it seems that this binds me to purchase that specific vehicle.
This will be the last new vehicle I ever buy and I think I made a mistake that I will regret. I have always had V8s and like the extra power. Maybe the V6 will be fine, but I will always wonder how much better the V8 would have been.
I will find out what type of dealer this is.
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Yeah, sounds like you own it then. Talk to them though, and they might be willing to work with you. If they haven't submitted the paperwork to the DMV, it might not be too hard to get the one you want. Trust me, you don't want to buy a new vehicle that you are not really going to be happy with, ask me how I know...

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

The Pentastar is pretty impressive though, and it gets better gas mileage than the V8. Though that might not be a consideration seeing as you're buying a Jeep. What do you plan to use your Jeep for? You might never miss the V8 depending on what you do. I would speak with the dealer first though, to see if there's anything they'd be willing to work out with you.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

can I ask whats the reasoning behind the change in heart? from what ive gathered and the public opinion on the v6, it really has some *** to it.
Unread 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
BoostCreepLA
1999 WJ 

To be fair, I had a 2013 with the V8 and it really wasn't very fast at all. The only way you'd really tell much of a difference is probably with towing. Otherwise around town and on the highway I doubt you'll miss the extra two cylinders.
BoostCreepLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

If you live at elevation or tow, you'll notice the difference. If neither of those things apply to you, you'll be better off with and appreciate the superior gas mileage of the V6. I love the V6 in my 4Runner. It's only 235 HP, too. The Pentastar is far more powerful, and I'm fairly certain the weight of the 4th gen 4Runner and WK II is very similar. So you should be in good shape.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
robvasi
2015 WK 

derekmac: I have a friend who is an Accountant, and he has been a bank loan officer. He is not a lawyer, but his take on this is that as long I have not signed the Title then don't own the vehicle. The contract that I signed can be voided. Of course the Dealer can file a law suit against me for breach of contract, but I doubt that will happen. The salesman called me when I voiced my concerns and I told him I wanted to test drive both the V6 and the V8 on the same day. That did not happen today. He reminded me that my comment when I drove the V6 was that it has enough power. That was Tuesday, this is today. He also said the Dealership would work with me to make me a content customer. He also said, that he has not confirmed that and that he needs to talk to his sales manager. It seems to me that if I have concerns then he should have told his sales manager. I feel that I am not being heard.
Unread 03-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
robvasi
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
The Pentastar is pretty impressive though, and it gets better gas mileage than the V8. Though that might not be a consideration seeing as you're buying a Jeep. What do you plan to use your Jeep for? You might never miss the V8 depending on what you do. I would speak with the dealer first though, to see if there's anything they'd be willing to work out with you.
To compound the problem the traded Jeeps with a Dealer in California, I live in Utah. My preference for a V8 is based on my experience with a car that was underpowered. I like the sound of a V8 because it produces power at a lower rpm. I like the power of a V8 when I need it. My bias is based on old technology so maybe it's time to discard this old bias. I don't like to see the rpm at red line when I pass a vehicle on the highway.

I plan to use my Jeep on unimproved roads, to enable me to get to places to photograph. In addition, getting to those places might involve driving off road, but nothing like the Rubicon trail. Sand and washed out ditches, sometimes with water, are the primary hazards in my area. Also, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of BLM land that allows access to four wheel drive vehicles. There are also thousands of miles of unimproved roads and while the ATV seems to be king of the road here, there are many roads for four wheel drive jeeps. I plan to use my Jeep as a Jeep some of the time. It will not be a commuter vehicle. I am keeping my Ford Explorer.

So far, my salesman seems reluctant to call me back. So, I need to go higher up the chain here. The bottom line is that I need to make the right decision. I asked him to locate me a V8 and he has not done so. He wants me to buy the V6. He insists that it is the right engine. He said if it was not he would have told me. I don't want to be told, I want to drive both. Why won't he do that for me?
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
robvasi
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
can I ask whats the reasoning behind the change in heart? from what ive gathered and the public opinion on the v6, it really has some *** to it.
All I want at this point is to test drive both the V8 and the V6. Here is how this happened. I had selected the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. When I went to the dealer my intent was to test drive a Jeep, I just wanted to look.

He said they have a 2014 Summit that he wanted to show me. But I don't want the Summit. He spend an hour showing me all the features on the Summit, but I don't want the Summit. We test drove the Summit, it was white, I told him I don't want a white vehicle. He insisted that white is a great color, it looks clean. But I don't want a white car, and I don't want the Summit. Someone is not listening to me.

To be fair though, the Summit had all the features I wanted and I don't know if the Overlands they had were as well equipped. I never drove the Overland. I was there for several hours and we only drove the Jeep that I didn't want.

He took me for a ride in a V8 but I didn't get to drive it. I have no idea why. Today he said he offered, but I don't recall that.

I just want to drive both the V8 and the V6 on the same day. My bias for the V8 is based on old technology engines. I like big displacement engines; they sound better and provide more power when needed for passing and more torque at lower speeds (is that right about torque?
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #12
robvasi
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostCreepLA View Post
To be fair, I had a 2013 with the V8 and it really wasn't very fast at all. The only way you'd really tell much of a difference is probably with towing. Otherwise around town and on the highway I doubt you'll miss the extra two cylinders.
I have no plans to tow. Which engine is preferred for off road on on unimproved roads?
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
picflight
1996 ZJ 

I recently test drove a 4x4 v6 2013 GC, I too prefer V8's, however, the v6 with 28k on the odometer had adequate power for normal highway driving. My test drive was with towing 3000 lbs in mind over Southern California terrain. I felt the v6 was going to do just fine, it might feel inadequate in some longer extreme gradients, but it would pull through.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
picflight
1996 ZJ 

Hit 'send' prematurely.

If you will not tow you will love the smaller footprint and get some carbon credits too :-)

Best of luck with your decision.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
robvasi
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
I recently test drove a 4x4 v6 2013 GC, I too prefer V8's, however, the v6 with 28k on the odometer had adequate power for normal highway driving. My test drive was with towing 3000 lbs in mind over Southern California terrain. I felt the v6 was going to do just fine, it might feel inadequate in some longer extreme gradients, but it would pull through.
Good to know. At this point I just want to test drive both the V6 and V8.

Is the V8 better off road, if so, why?

Why does Jeep offer the V8, Who is the target market for the V8?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.