the UTwj Build and other crap - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > the UTwj Build and other crap

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #121
adavis39
2002 WJ 

well Christmas BONUS will be around the corner in about 6 weeks. For any of you that read this thread, I need some input. I will have about 1600 to spend but have toooooo many ideas in my head so I am making a list of my top WANTS. Yall help me decide:

1) Spyderlocks (most cosmetic mod but would LOVE to be able to air all the way down without ever worrying about slipping a bead again....and they look BAAAAAAD!!)
2) RCV shafts/IRO dana30 sleeves and gussets (should make the dana 30 fairly bullet proof for 35's but not the flashiest mod)
3) ARB locker/ black diff cover for the Dana30 (combined with the aussie in the rear should make the WJ unstoppable but may lead to breaking alot of stock shafts)
4) LSR front bumper (all cosmetic but its AWSOME)
5) Protofab rear bumper/full spare (mostly cosmetic but I dont carry a spare right now because I really dont have room for it so it will serve a good purpose)

Let me hear your thoughts so I can mull over my options for the next 5 weeks......

TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #122
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

My two best mods to date:

1-JKS disco's (what a difference when offroad)
2-Protofab Rear Carrier (I now have room for other stuff in my Jeep, the spare took up the entire cargo area)
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #123
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
My two best mods to date:

1-JKS disco's (what a difference when offroad)
2-Protofab Rear Carrier (I now have room for other stuff in my Jeep, the spare took up the entire cargo area)
yeah, already have JKS discos....and I love them.
Protofab is def high on the list(it looks great on your rig BTW)....did you order direct from them? If I order it, I am going to see if they can ship it without the tank skid since lifting the tank is a future mod..maybe they would knock some off the price?
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #124
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

another vote for Protofab rear! I wasn't a fan of them at first but seeing Will's in action has convinced me that it is now high on my list of things to buy.
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #125
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
another vote for Protofab rear! I wasn't a fan of them at first but seeing Will's in action has convinced me that it is now high on my list of things to buy.
if I go protofab i wonder if I should have a body shop paint match it or have it powdercoated? hmmmm

in the meantime...another random pic to kill some time here at work hahaha
fotoflexer_photo.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #126
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Get a welder and build

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #127
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Get a welder and build
ive actually considered that too....i have 0 welding experience but have always wanted to learn and start making my own stuff!!!
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #128
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I say body matched if you get it. and ya I just got a welder and I'm starting to learn. my tire carrier was my first project
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #129
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I ordered straight from Protofab. I had them leave the D-ring mounts off of mine. I would just nail them with my legs when moving around the Jeep, and I don't need them. I wheel with a D-ring shackle in the hitch to help keep the bumper off of some of the rocks, it works well too.

I am sure they could send one to you without the tank skid. But even if it came with it, it would be easy to remove...10 minutes with a grinder...they have 4-6 sections of weld holding it on, it isn't a solid weld all the way across the back.

I tought of making one myself, but I still want to tow. And I trust their welding skills much more than my own. That said, this hitch is VERY high...I have to use my largest drop hitch now, and I will not tow as much as I once did. I still tow the boat down to the marina though (~4800 lbs, about 5 miles).

EDIT: Make sure to test fit and trim everything before painting or powdercoating it.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #130
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
I ordered straight from Protofab. I had them leave the D-ring mounts off of mine. I would just nail them with my legs when moving around the Jeep, and I don't need them. I wheel with a D-ring shackle in the hitch to help keep the bumper off of some of the rocks, it works well too.

I am sure they could send one to you without the tank skid. But even if it came with it, it would be easy to remove...10 minutes with a grinder...they have 4-6 sections of weld holding it on, it isn't a solid weld all the way across the back.

I tought of making one myself, but I still want to tow. And I trust their welding skills much more than my own. That said, this hitch is VERY high...I have to use my largest drop hitch now, and I will not tow as much as I once did. I still tow the boat down to the marina though (~4800 lbs, about 5 miles).

EDIT: Make sure to test fit and trim everything before painting or powdercoating it.
yeah, ive been waiting to cut into the rear fenders until i decide what to do with the rear bumper. If I go protofab, ill do the fenders at the same time that way I can trim the bumper to match
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #131
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

another thought.. keep the gas tank skid plate on the bumper. After you do the tank tuck.. then have the bumper skid bent up so it is horizontal for more protection.. Thats my plan if I ever get the bumper
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

go capabilities first, then looks. beef up that 30 with rcv's. no, they aren't "flashy" but when someone who knows anything sees them, they what's up. get your rig to where you can DO what you want, then make it purdy. just my opinion though

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #133
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ View Post
go capabilities first, then looks. beef up that 30 with rcv's. no, they aren't "flashy" but when someone who knows anything sees them, they what's up. get your rig to where you can DO what you want, then make it purdy. just my opinion though
basically my thoughts as well....although it can be really hard to pass on some of the "pretty" extras haha....decisions decisions. I am starting to lean a little to RSV's mainly because I MAY have a cv going bad anyways. I am getting a poping or clicking sounds from under the jeep when I am stopped or at slow speeds and turn the wheel to the left and right
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #134
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

mine does that too but my "popping" is the driveline u-joints and a bad CA bushing. not saying its not your CV but just giving you some other things to check
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #135
adavis39
2002 WJ 

yeah, i got a few things to check (it just FEELS like cv's if thats possible haha) but I gotta make sure my trac bar is tight and the JKS bushings havnt worn out. Probably need to grease my johnny joints too and see if that helps
TNJEEPS.COM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.