the UTwj Build and other crap - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > the UTwj Build and other crap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #886
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep04 View Post
If it does I am definitely going to do it as I drive on road a lot, also post as much as your able to in pics and info if you don't mind, just curious as to what's all needed .... I am guessing that flipping the drag link and tie rod must also be done for this to function properly as oppose to just using the Iron Rock drop pitman arm?

Awesome jeep by the way...
ill post up a bunch of pics when its all done. and yes, im using the drop bracket rather than a drop pitman ( you have to one of these two in order to keep your drag link and trac bar parallel after the flip.

what im using is the IRO bracket, a new tie rod end from a RHD WJ on the passenger side of the drag link and knuckles that have been reamed to except the flip. The knuckles im using were already reamed with new inserts welded in. If you were going to re-use your knuckles, you would also need these new inserts. and while im in there im installing new HD tie-rod and drag link from JKS, synergy ball joints and Currie Johnny joints in place of the OEM rubber bushings in the axle side upper control arm mounts........i think thats everything haha

TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #887
adavis39
2002 WJ 

got it finished up (minus figuring out the best way to mount the SS). Took it for a drive and even though it REALLY needs an alignment it actually drives very smooth without the SS even on.

One thing you will need to know if you do this is that at full lock, the tie-rod will rub the lower sway bar mount. I had to grind off about 1/2'' off of the mount. I will also have to flex test it when I get a chance. The JKS trac bar MAY have to be replaced with the IRO one. The bend in the JKS bar is different than IRO's and might end up contacting the new drop bracket when the pass side is stuffed.

Ran into a BIG problem with PolyPerformance as well. I had ordered my Synergy ball joints last Thursday. They were set to be delivered Wed. That got changed to Thursday. NO big deal because I got everything torn down Wed and wasnt putting it back together till today (friday). Well, UPS came and went last night with no ball joints. I immediately called Poly who stated that they were actually back ordered and they were being dropped sipped. well turns out, the company they got dropped to didnt even have the lowers and it was a 2 week lead time to get them. well obviously I still DD this thing so that wasnt working. Went to every parts store in the area and no one had MOOG either. so, I ended up with some off brand. At least its all back together but at least I can drive it. Just means Ill probably be doing ball joints again soon

Im very pleased with the huge clearance gain from the flip. I also think the new new JKS trac bar and drag link should hold up to almost anything. They are very beefy. Now just gotta get it aligned so I can really see how it handles now
img_2019.jpg   img_2021.jpg   img_2022.jpg   img_2024.jpg   img_2025.jpg  

img_2026.jpg   img_2027.jpg   img_2028.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #888
jeep04
2004 WJ 

Looks good man! Just so i know.... the drag link end (passenger side) would have to be drilled out and new inserts installed the same as the tie rod right just with the RHD tie rod end? This one might sound stupid but the reason for drilling out the tie rod is just because of it being tapered the other direction or is there more to it? do you use the same rod ends on the tie rod?
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #889
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Looks good man! Just so i know.... the drag link end (passenger side) would have to be drilled out and new inserts installed the same as the tie rod right just with the RHD tie rod end? This one might sound stupid but the reason for drilling out the tie rod is just because of it being tapered the other direction or is there more to it? do you use the same rod ends on the tie rod?
yep, all three spots on the knuckles where the TRE's mount would need to be reamed out and new tapered inserts welded in. once you do this, your standard TRE's will slide right in (just on top of the knuckles rather than under). If you simply flipped them, the taper would be wrong and they wont go it
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #890
adavis39
2002 WJ 

had to pull out and old "before" shot, but this lets you see the amount of clearance gained

BEFORE:

AFTER

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #891
jeep04
2004 WJ 

That is quite a difference, i am definitely going to do this especially if it helps the bump steer feel. Have you figured out where to mount that fancy (bilstein) steering dampener , I am going to have to get a different one as my current RC dual wont work with the tie rod flip.

Was there a reason you got rid of the G2 diff cover for the ARB other then the ARB is beefy as hell, just wondering if something was wrong with the g2 cause i just put mine on last week end .

Thanks for helping me with understanding what was done it will definitely help when i do mine
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #892
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
That is quite a difference, i am definitely going to do this especially if it helps the bump steer feel. Have you figured out where to mount that fancy (bilstein) steering dampener , I am going to have to get a different one as my current RC dual wont work with the tie rod flip.

Was there a reason you got rid of the G2 diff cover for the ARB other then the ARB is beefy as hell, just wondering if something was wrong with the g2 cause i just put mine on last week end .
probably gonna have a mount welded onto the drop bracket and clamp the other end of the SS to the drag link.. I had it connected to the trac bar and drag link before the flip but it doesnt look like its going to fit there now.

And I got rid of the G2 for 2 reasons. 1st, i got it because it was cheap to me at the time but its just think aluminum. I wasnt 100% confident how it would do if hit hard enough. Odds are it would do fine but figured I might as well upgrade when I had the money. 2nd, the ARB came out in black and just looked awesome. And yes, its beefy as hell. I really like the dip stick it has in it too so you can check the fluid. It will have an ARB in it soon enough, so its only a lie for a littl bit longer hahaha
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #893
adavis39
2002 WJ 

dead caliper

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #894
adavis39
2002 WJ 

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #895
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

you could get a U shaped bracket and mount it to the lower driver side swaybar bolt and the other end to the tie rod. this is how my front end was setup when skain8 had it.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #896
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
you could get a U shaped bracket and mount it to the lower driver side swaybar bolt and the other end to the tie rod. this is how my front end was setup when skain8 had it.
i got it back on this morning.....i think the angles are going to work. if not Ill give that a shot.

Also got the new caliper on this morning

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #897
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post

probably gonna have a mount welded onto the drop bracket and clamp the other end of the SS to the drag link.. I had it connected to the trac bar and drag link before the flip but it doesnt look like its going to fit there now.

And I got rid of the G2 for 2 reasons. 1st, i got it because it was cheap to me at the time but its just think aluminum. I wasnt 100% confident how it would do if hit hard enough. Odds are it would do fine but figured I might as well upgrade when I had the money. 2nd, the ARB came out in black and just looked awesome. And yes, its beefy as hell. I really like the dip stick it has in it too so you can check the fluid. It will have an ARB in it soon enough, so its only a lie for a littl bit longer hahaha
I recommende steel beaided hose...i had to do 4 trail fixes in my hose over the weekend...good thing pens are cheap.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #898
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
I recommende steel beaided hose...i had to do 4 trail fixes in my hose over the weekend...good thing pens are cheap.
for your ARB?
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #899
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post

for your ARB?
Yes...the blue nylon/plastic hose melts easily. I routed it 4 times...and keeps hitting my CAT...manifold...yaddie yaddie...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #900
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Yes...the blue nylon/plastic hose melts easily. I routed it 4 times...and keeps hitting my CAT...manifold...yaddie yaddie...
ive never heard of them melting but I hear they rip fairly easily and that braided is the way to go
TNJEEPS.COM

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.