the UTwj Build and other crap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > the UTwj Build and other crap

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Sounds like a good night to hit up Fiddle & Steel...
oh God...dont tell me you are familiar with Printer's Alley!!!

TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #62
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha definitely! We have some friends who are in the music scene in Nashville. We would always stop in to Fiddle & Steel when we went to visit. I haven't been in a while. Starting to miss the liquid sugar at Demo's.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #63
adavis39
2002 WJ 

i bet you spent a few ill advised dollars @ Brass Stables then hahahaha . thats cool you been down here though. I spent about 8 months living in Illinois after college (downtown Chicago). I miss it all the time
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #64
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Haha believe it or not, I've never been to Brass Stables though I've been to Nashville many times.

Chicago is nice and I enjoy visiting it. I go there for work occasionally. For me, the city is nice to visit but nothing beats small towns. Springfield is decently sized yet I have a house at the edge of town on 3/4 of an acre. Before that, I lived at my parents down the road who are on 12 acres. I'm about to cut paths through the timber for a little wheeling. Before that, I lived in a town of 1,400 or less for 18 years. Small town runs in my blood. Haha.

On subject, your jeep is pretty nice! I need to take a trip down to TN again and check it out when I get to town! Worst part is, it'll probably give me an itch I shouldn't get!

Unread 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #65
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Haha believe it or not, I've never been to Brass Stables though I've been to Nashville many times.

Chicago is nice and I enjoy visiting it. I go there for work occasionally. For me, the city is nice to visit but nothing beats small towns. Springfield is decently sized yet I have a house at the edge of town on 3/4 of an acre. Before that, I lived at my parents down the road who are on 12 acres. I'm about to cut paths through the timber for a little wheeling. Before that, I lived in a town of 1,400 or less for 18 years. Small town runs in my blood. Haha.

On subject, your jeep is pretty nice! I need to take a trip down to TN again and check it out when I get to town! Worst part is, it'll probably give me an itch I shouldn't get!
haha...yeah, but its such a good itch!
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #66
adavis39
2002 WJ 

well.....so much for changing u-joints tonight. One of the bolts just snapped a head and now the freaking bolt in stuck in the yoke......damn
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #67
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
haha...yeah, but its such a good itch!
The trick to it is, I can do whatever I want to my WJ with no worries. The wife never says anything because I use my money and she likes that I'm happy tinkering with it. Plus, she knows I won't go ridiculous on buying it presents. The problem is, I'm trying to save up a little cash... My FIL has a 79 J-10 Honcho with a 360, T-18A manual trans, D20 transfer case (twin stick), D44's front and back - posi in back, 3" lift on 33's, with a new paint job that he's been wanting to get rid of for a low price. He offered it to me for a minimal amount as my portion of the wedding price that I'd be stupid to pass up. The quicker I can save up a few bucks, the quicker that bad boy is in my garage... So, I can't spend too much on the WJ right now!

And on the next post, that sucks quite a bit man. Drill and tap time?

Unread 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #68
adavis39
2002 WJ 

man i hope not....there is just enough thread out of the yoke that i MAY be able to get some neddle noze on it and slowly spin it out. Ill have to give it a shot tomorrow. too frustrated to mess with it now

on a lighter note...i got my bushwacker shirt today! i dont plan on ever ordering their flares, but at least the shirt is pretty cool. U just cant find much WJ swag out there
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #69
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Maybe vice grips? If you can lock them on nice and tight, that may work. A bolt extractor might do the trick as well...

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #70
adavis39
2002 WJ 

well i got up this morning and started work o the driveshaft. I thought that I was certainly going to have to drill out on eof the bolts that holds the u-joint into he yoke seeing as how the head broke off of it last night. I was surprised and VERY VERY lucky i was actaully able to just slowly spin it back out with some needle nose pliars.

Soooo,..after that little PITA i got to work rebuilding all the joints. They really needed it too. one of them practically crumbled apart once I got it out of the shaft. Several of the clips broke in half trying to get them off as well. The MOOG replacements i bought (moog #369) are much beefier and greaseable.

If you dont have access to a press (like me) the easiest way to get the joints out is to sandwich the joint is a vice and use a hammer and socket to pound one end cap into the drveshaft which will cause the cap on the other side to push out and allow the u-joint to fall out.

After I got it done, i bought a new set of straps and bolts (no more broken bolt heads) and gave the sahfts a shot of paint to clean it up a little.

I have to say that it is 10x's smoother under heavy acceleration now. Definately work about $40 in parts and a few hours of time......
rsz_img_1313.jpg   rsz_img_1312.jpg   rsz_1img_1314.jpg   rsz_1img_1315.jpg   img_1316.jpg  

rsz_img_1317.jpg   rsz_img_1318.jpg   rsz_img_1319.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Haha definitely! We have some friends who are in the music scene in Nashville. We would always stop in to Fiddle & Steel when we went to visit. I haven't been in a while. Starting to miss the liquid sugar at Demo's.
Oh, Demos'...
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #72
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
Oh, Demos'...
yo...i think we are gonna be out at Wooly's next Sunday if your free...
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #73
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm in Haiti right now or I would. Incidentally, the roads here are a lot like the trails there. Wish I had the ZJ here
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #74
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Haiti!? ok...i guess thats a good excuse
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #75
adavis39
2002 WJ 

well i thought 2000wj4x4 had a lead on a JK axle for me...turns out it was an 08 grand, not a JK...oh well (no worries Alec). so i'm thinking now, since this is a DD anyways and I dont really have to time for an axle swap that will keep my speedo and ABS im just going to build the D30 up a little and truss the 44a. I think my next "investment" haha..will be to sleeve and c-gusset the tubes and throw in some RCV's....thoughts?
TNJEEPS.COM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.