the UTwj Build and other crap - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > the UTwj Build and other crap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #46
2000WJ4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It could have been about half a foot longer( front to back of the jeep)
You can't really make it any wider or else you won't be able to get it in or out. With the subs and tool box pushed all the way to the left, there is about a foot and a half of extra space to the right of it. I think the total dimension of the top part was 40"x35".

It too me and a friend about 10 minutes to make.

This was the best thing I could think of that you could actually get in and out of the jeep very easily

It sits below the top of the rear seats. It's about 16" from the bottom of the legs to the top of it.

image-4113447834.jpg   image-2568867244.jpg  
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

ordered the IRO over the knuckle tie-rod. Should be delievered tomorrow so I'm gonna try and get it slapped on Saturday. Then, as I was looking on craigslist for some axle swap ideas and came a cross a JK guys selling his wheels because he is upgrading to 1-tons. So i MAY, have a lead on some rubi 44's. Anyone got any ideas on a fair price for them?
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-crap-1399123/

"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #48
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

finally got that ZJ washer fluid bottle out of my garage and under the hood
rsz_img_1302.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #49
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

DAAAMMMNNNN!!!! when is Tennessee gonna be a powerhouse SEC football team again? I miss the 90's. RANDOM THOUGHT..sorry. back to jeeps
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #50
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000WJ4x4
It could have been about half a foot longer( front to back of the jeep)
You can't really make it any wider or else you won't be able to get it in or out. With the subs and tool box pushed all the way to the left, there is about a foot and a half of extra space to the right of it. I think the total dimension of the top part was 40"x35".

It too me and a friend about 10 minutes to make.

This was the best thing I could think of that you could actually get in and out of the jeep very easily

It sits below the top of the rear seats. It's about 16" from the bottom of the legs to the top of it.
I kinda did the same thing. Just temporary till I build a better one.
image-1958394239.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #51
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

a while back when I split the rear seats and put my rear seat console in, I decided it would be a good chance to do something creative with the old stock cup holder location. I always have my Glock 23 in the jeep for an emergency situation. However, being a former cop, I am SUPER paranoid of everyone. I never keep ANYTHING in the jeep that can been seen through the windows. That unfortunately doesnt mean idiots wont bust your windows just because your car LOOKS like it might have valuables in it. I decided to turn the old cup holder into a gun box. It can get the gun in hand easily from the drivers seat and it is in a location no one would check in a smash and grab type situation.

I had better pics of the process but lost most of them....

Basically all you need to do is pull the cup holder out of the console. It is held in by two "tabs" on each side of the slide. You just have to get a small screw driver in there and pop them out.

once out, the cup holder can be flipped over where you can get to the 5 or so small screws that hold it together. Once you take them all out you will notice that it is a 3 piece assembly. The bottom "try", the cup holder "rings" and the front section that has the handle on it.

next step is to cut out the center of the rings. This has to be done carefully in order to gain as much room for the gun as you can while still retaining the screw holes to be able to put the assembly back together. I used a combination of a tiny hack saw and a cut off wheel. It took about 10 minutes or careful thinking through and cutting to get it done.

Once that is done, just put the assembly back together. It will leave you with the stock set-up except with a large gap where the cup holder rings were. That is where the gun will sit down into. I just quickly hacked up some old gun case foam to make a base for the gun to lay in and keep it from moving around. I need to go get some foam from a hobby store and cut it to shape properly. Once you get it done just slide the whole thing back onto the tabs on the slide in the console and you got a very inconspicuous gun box.

my last step (that I havnt done yet) will be to work a small lock into it so I can keep it locked up at night and when i'm at work. At least now im not too worried about someone breaking in and checking my cup holders to see if I have an valuables in it....
rsz_img_1295.jpg   rsz_img_1296.jpg  
rsz_e-036.jpg

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

got my IRO OTK tie-rod last week and got it put on Sunday. This was one of the easiest installs I've done. I have to give some credit to the previous owners of my Jeep. I new when I bought it they had taken GREAT care of it but I have never had any problems getting any bolts loose due to rust or neglect. They kept this thing clean. Soooo.. i was expecting a little fight from the old TRE's but they came off easily with nothing but a ratchet. 19mm I believe for the castle nuts.

once you get the two castle nuts off, the tre's just came right out. The otk install is very easy. took about 30 minutes total....some of that time was due to me threading in the heims and getting it all measured just to realize i forgot the jam nuts so I had to take them back off, throw the jam nuts on and re-measure all over.

Basically all you do is measure from tre to tre before to take the stock tie=rod off. Then make sure your new tie=rod has the same measurement from heim center eye to center eye. This will keep your alignment pretty much the same.

There is one end of the new tie=rod that has a flat spot on it. This is the pass side and this cut out is needed to clear the pass side drag link end. Once you have it all measured just insert the supplied bolt, washers (3) and nuts (2) and tighten down to 95 foot pounds.

I got the toe set pretty well that its driveable. I need to get a proper alignment this weekend but the steering is already MUCH tighter....even though my tre's werent that worn out. I think once it get it aligned it will be WAY better than the stock set up. Next step is drag link flip and IRO steering brace

oh...and I also took the opportunity to throw some flat black high temp paint on my G2 dif cover. I always hated the aluminum look but I got a great deal on it which is why I bought it to begin with. Its a great diff cover, just hated the aluminum...
rsz_img_1305.jpg   rsz_img_1306.jpg   rsz_img_1307.jpg   rsz_img_1308.jpg   rsz_img_1309.jpg  

rsz_img_1310.jpg   rsz_img_1311.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #53
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Very helpful writeup/pics of the OTK install. It's definitely on my list now. I also need to move my SS like you have your's. Maybe I missed it in the build earlier on, but what kit or method did you use to do that? The stocker hangs down waaaaaaay too low for comfort.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Russell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #54
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

yeah, its in the build somewhere...but I didnt use a kit just some JY parts. My place didnt have any WJ's on hand the day I went so I took some c-clips off of the steering on a ZJ. you just need two (one for both sides) then attach one to the drag link and one to your track bar. You will already have one of these "c-clips" on your stock tie-rod so really all you need is one. And actually, if you order the IRO tie-rod it comes with one so if you wait till you get the new tie-rod, you wont need any JY parts
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #55
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Sweet! Thanks man. I'll just wait for the OTK mod, then. As always, your dub looks awesome.

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Russell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

bored at work....decided to mess around with some free online picture editor...i need to get some proper glamour shots some day
utwj.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #57
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

rsz_wj1.jpg   wj2.jpg   rsz_wj3.jpg  
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #58
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

the wife is working night and the parents are keeping my son for the night so it looks like i have the house (and garage) to myself for a night. Seems like a good chance to re-build the rear driveshaft
rsz_getattachment.jpg

TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #59
adavis39
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

haha..wow, tiny picture....oh well u get the idea
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #60
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Sounds like a good night to hit up Fiddle & Steel...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.