Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

the UTwj Build and other crap

121K views 1K replies 55 participants last post by  Diggerdale440 
#1 ·
well I bought this Jeep as my third (5th if you count my wifes 2). I had a 96 XJ whe I was in highschool that I put a skyjacker 3'' lift and 31's on. It was very basic but I immediately fell in love with it and love beating the crap out of it. Sometime during my years at the University of Tennessee I sold it and bought a 97 ZJ. Being a poor collee kid limited my funds so the ZJ stayed stock until about 3 years ago when it was totaled. For some reason I went and bought a charger that I drove for about 2 years. Terible decision. I just realized I am a JEEP guy and had to get one back. When I began looking for what I wanted to build I new I wanted it to look like a street queen but perform like a real rock crawler. I began searching forums for ideas and settled on the WJ. It was a luxury vehicle but still had solid axles. I like the WK but could bring my self to go IFS and new I didnt have the experience to do a solid axle swap (maybe one day!). I was really inpired by THEKSMITH's jeep I had seen on here. Anyways, I never really intended to make a build thread but now I just kinda want a way to keep track of all I do and maybe help inspire someone else like this forum did for me. I am NO mechanic and had almost ZERO experience working on cars before this. I bought my WJ with the intent to build it myself and learn as I do it. My goal will be to do as much as I feel I can on my own and hopefully build a pretty bad crawler one day that can still win some local car shows ;) All right, lets get to it. Like I said, i didnt intend to do this when I started working on this thing about a year ago. This first post will mostly just be pictures of what all I have done to this point so I can pick it up from here. Hope you like it. All input is welcome.

See less See more
Reactions: Gdcherokee
#440 ·
........ much better

Attachments

#441 ·
didnt do anything to the jeep today, but I did drive it to the park with my wife to take my son sliding. Apparently, my Doberman loves to slide too

#442 ·
Going in a new direction with my wheels.......puting my 1.5'' Spydertrax spacers up for sale in the classifieds......$120 plus shipping

#443 ·
That's a pretty good price!

I like your avatar.

:tea:

#444 ·
I hate the weather in this state.......Tuesday it was 70 and I was wearing shorts. Then this morning I wake up to snow.........

Attachments

#445 ·
What surprised me is you folks are getting more than us. Similar weather, more snow. We're supposed to get some tonight/tomorrow but I imagine it'll be a dusting if anything. I don't mind the snow. It's the cold without the snow that sucks. 4°F this morning with a wind chill of -9.

#446 ·
yeah, the stuff didnt even stick to the roads and half the surrounding counties let school out :rolleyes: But this is what we in Tennessee consider a snow

#447 ·
dang it......i need some money BAAAADDDDDDD

Dude is saking $700 SHIPPED for all 5

Gonna try and talk him down a little

Attachments

#448 ·
Those are my favorite rims on a WJ. Ever. If I was you, I'd look into selling a kidney. Or my firstborn child.

#449 ·
no kidding, this weekend will be spent in my garage finding crap to sell........My K&N will probably go up for sale VERY soon hahaha

#450 ·
The K&N is officially for sale.......$200 shipped with re-charge kit

#451 ·
now were talking......1/2'' and still falling (that's A LOT for us here in Tennessee)

Attachments

#452 ·
in case the Pintlers dont work out, what do yall think of my back up plan? Thoughts and opinions are welcome. I think they would look pretty slick even though I cant find any pics of anyone actually running them on a Jeep yet....

Attachments

#454 ·
simulated......if I was going to go with real bead locks Spyderlocks would be the only thing id drop my money on. Id rather have the AEV's as well but the more I email the guy the more I get the feeling its a scam so Im waiting to see how that goes. The main reason im considering switching to the pro comps is that I can get them in 16''. It would be nice to have more tire options and save about 200-300 everytime I replace a set of tires.....

#456 ·
yep those are awesome.....but if im paying $300 per wheel....id go Spyderlocks and never look back. Im really just trying to update my look a little and get away from the boring d-windows without breaking the bank.

ive also considered the ones Iroc has on his. there is a stock inferno red WJ around town that has them and they look really good in person. But I feel like everyone will have those soon.......i hate making Jeep decisions hahaha

#458 ·
I think I paid $110 each for the MB's, and I really like the look. There is another WJ on here running them as well, they have good offset (6mm IIRC) and a good look.

#459 ·
do you rub at all on your control arms at full lock?.......when I was running my current wheels (4.5''BS) and no spacers, I would rub at full lock once I moved to the 35x12.50

#460 ·
ok, screw it.....i got a great quote from Quadratec so im going with the AEV's.........hopefully have them within the month if I can sell one of my guns

#463 ·
yeah......im heavily considering the Duratracs. That or Baja Claw radials.......

#464 ·
I wish the duratrac's would have worked out. I do not recommend them in the 315x75x16 load range E. They tossed me all over the road, I tried pressures from 25-50 psi.

#465 ·
theres a guy in or group that is an asst manager at discount tire....They sell the Duratracs in a 315/70r17 for $302 a tire. Im going to see what kind of deal he can get me off of that. They are D loads....i will most likely go that route.

#466 ·
Stock air box just went back in......sold the K&N to help fund the new wheels. I didnt need it anyway. Now ive gotta relocate the ZJ washer bottle again......

Attachments

#467 ·
I've read this entire thread and gotta say, you got alot of motivation. Alot like me when I started mine 4 years ago. Im a proud owner of a 99 WJ Laredo but with the Limited options. Black ext, tan int, heated leather, heated mirrors, infinty stereo, sunroof, select-trac transfer, 242 tranny, black headlights, blah blah blah. I looked for months to find this WJ. 3 weekends later lifted it with 3" IRO springs, started w/ Craigslist find MX6 adj shocks but now on Bilsteins, JKS adj trackbar. I went 3" inch cause I didnt want to mess with all the stuff to change when you go 4" or more. My budget is always cheap. Went with 17" steelie's and been buying Rubi take-offs for $400 a set for 3 years now. Started with 31" KM2's but didnt like the small look it gave. The take-offs fill my wells out better. Ive been wanting 33's but never can save the money. Did the Firestick mod on rear tail light, mounted my CB in front of my right shin, IRO OTK tire rod, Abekeno calipers. I've switched my D35 2 times now cause I keep getting a pinion gear whining noise. And I dont do gears, so I swap em. I finally found a buddy in town with a 44a but Im short on cash after the holidays. I have homemade front UCA's, bought the johnny joints, welded solid bars between them and whala! Now just need to do the rears. Anyway, sorry to ramble....just liked your thread, noticed our comparisons. Wanted to say nice WJ...and your right....about once a week Im getting compliments on the Dub. I love her, she'll be my daughters trail rig too I hope when shes old enough.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.