Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"The UTE" Build Thread

75K views 964 replies 33 participants last post by  BLACK04WJ 
#1 ·
So I decided to start a build thread just for fun. It's not much of a "build" but at least I can track my progress and get some pointers along the way. This is the first vehicle ive ever worked on so please be easy on the harsh comments as I'm NOT a mechanic in any way.

First off I have a 2004 Limited that I bought with 82,000 miles. It had a 3" IRO lift. The only other thing that wasn't stock was the 17" rims that were black with a machined lip.. I didn't care for them very much so I changed them. since then I have changed several things and I did have pictures of everything but no longer have all of them(decided to upgrade my iPhone and lost all of my pictures) As of today I now have just under 89,000 miles with an IRO 6.5" lift. I will take more pictures of everything and post them when I can.

Also I just bought another WJ recently for my wife and hers will be mostly stock.. but I am going to track her progress on here too.

My Wife's is a 2004 Laredo that we bought with 83,000 miles and was 100% stock. We have only had it a couple weeks and the only mod is tinted tail lights.

Attachments

See less See more
#106 ·
ok im at work right now so I will take some close up shot of them for you. none of them are anything major and if you buy them you can tell people the damage is from moab ;) cause it really is!

so I think I am liking the soft 8's.. although I think I am going to paint the center caps red to match my red accents. ( I dont like that they are chrome)

#107 ·
sorry I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the wheels yet. it's a holiday weekend here in Utah and I left town in the WJ.. long story short I came home with no WJ :( should have it back in 2 weeks. for now I have to drive a Toyota pickup as a replacement. TRE / draglink are 100% toast and got major death wobble.

side note, this all happened in Moab and there is no one in town with parts in stock lol thought that was kinda funny

#112 ·
That picture was supposed to mean going to moab but arches is in moab and I love that place as well!!

So I will be driving back to colorado next thursday to get my WJ :)
Hopefully when I get there the death wobble/TRE problem will be fixed so I have my fingers crossed!

Small list of things to do when I pick it up and take the weekend off to work on it.

Replace TRE's/Draglink (If it does not get done before I get there)
Clean Throttle Body/IAC
Fix front pinion angle due to small vib
Weld custom bumpstops to the front axle
Install my new coil spring isolators from Kolak
Weld IRO coil spring retainer to front passenger side spring perch due to stripped bolt
Start process of making my rear tire carrier :)

#116 ·
got news last night that the WJ is driving great in Colorado lol. New TRE's on the new draglink along with new pitman arm :) about a week left until I get to drive it though

#120 ·
so to make a long story shorter, i have been driving a toyota t100 as a replacement until I get my WJ back.. well it died yesterday so I was left with a yamaha zuma 125cc scooter to get to work.. its raining ha. so now im borrowing a 97 cummins for the day until i get the toyota fixed to drive it to colorado to get the WJ can anyone say bad vehicle luck this week? :mad:

#121 ·
got these in the mail yesterday.. they will be welded underneath my hitch for a shackle recovery point. I only needed one for my jeep but they came in sets of two so I guess I will put one my the other WJ in case my wife gets stuck lol

Attachments

#123 ·
got them from a fabrication company in Spanish fork :) they were the cheapest I could find on the Internet and I had no idea they were from Utah until I placed my order lol. I figured this would be a great recovery point and cheaper than ones that goes into the hitch

#124 ·
Have a link or anything? I'd like to get some as well. :)

#125 ·
I could probably find that link for you or you could just buy one of mine :cheers2: just let me know which you want to do.

My wifes WJ doesnt need one because its a street jeep and its little :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.