"The UTE" Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > "The UTE" Build Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #181
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice! Are you going to do a winch mount underneath?

If you need I have pics of about every angle

07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #182
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311LJ
Nice! Are you going to do a winch mount underneath?

If you need I have pics of about every angle
I cant decide if I want to make a winch cradle or not.. I probably should just in case.

and yes i want more pics! I've been searching the Internet for more lol. i think I'm gonna ask Will (85IrocZ-28 ) to meet me sometime and I'm just gonna measure his and take tons of pics so I can get the design closer.
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #183
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ

I cant decide if I want to make a winch cradle or not.. I probably should just in case.

and yes i want more pics! I've been searching the Internet for more lol. i think I'm gonna ask Will (85IrocZ-28 ) to meet me sometime and I'm just gonna measure his and take tons of pics so I can get the design closer.
Well the genius part of the iceland bumper is he built a winch cradle and the. Just used the fiberglass bumper to cover it. I'll see what I can get
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
I ♡ John
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #184
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311LJ

Well the genius part of the iceland bumper is he built a winch cradle and the. Just used the fiberglass bumper to cover it. I'll see what I can get
true! guess you convinced me to do it

and thanks for lookin for pics, I appreciate it! maybe some with the front of the jeep up in the air so I can see underneath and some good ones of the corners if you have them
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #185
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

LMK when you want to look at it, sounds like a fun project. If you haven't already started on the project before Oct 20th, we could meet up then. I will be leaving Moab that day and headed back to SL through Price. IIRC, you will also be out of town but not far from Moab. We can pull the bumper and take a look at it if you want, I'm just not sure where you will be and when. LMK if you will be in the SL area before then.

I was thinking of making my own fiberglass rear bumper at one time, so I will share some tips for yours about how I had thought it through. You may have a much better process, but here is what I was going to do...

I would make each fiberglass panel very thin, and trimmed to the exact/perfect size... fiberglass mat doesn't form a nice edge. Trim and make it match your template perfectly. I would would make each panel as thin as possible, only one layer of fiberglass mat. Then after you have each of the panels done, I would join them and start to slowly form them into place...use a bit of resin or epoxy to join two panels at the right angle. I would just lay this first layer of fiberglass and resin right on top of your template that you make, and start gluing them together with resin...kind of like a top layer over your template while it is still on the Jeep.

Then, carefully remove the thin bumper after it dries, and start laying more fiberglass and resin into the inside of the bumper cover. Load the stuff in to the thickness you want. Because the resin flows, you will have to do this in several stages with different sections of the bumper laying flat on the ground. After the inside is filled and thickened with fiberglass mat and resin, it should be very strong. You will need to put it in place, and make new lines to re-trim the edges so they are smooth.

Use bondo to fill the imperfections, and completely coat the outside of the bumper. I would mix and do this one section at a time as bondo hardens quickly and you don't have much working time. If you haven't done body work before, it isn't too hard. It is just like spreading mud on drywall...Only bondo is a two part product. The hardener makes it harden very quickly. Spread it, sand it smooth, prime, paint, install, Go Wheeling.

You MUST have a good quality breathing mask when cutting/grinding fiberglass. You do not want to breath the fibers in. Also, buy a box of rubber gloves. The stuff is terribly sticky, and a layer of skin will come off before the resin does.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #186
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

that is exactly how I was planning on doing it!! I am going to be ordering a good quality mask and my wife is in the nursing program (college) and has access to all the gloves I need

I was gonna take to you about meeting up that day as I actually don't work that day so we could meet on your way home if that works for you?

do you have any ideas of what to make a better mold out of? I haven't thought of anything good lol. I wish I could borrow someone's Iceland bumper for a week haha jk
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #187
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Just finish it already!!!! Hahaha. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Just bought the wifey an 04 Tahoe. So now I can get busy converting my WJ to 4x4. Now I need a new bumper, wink wink. And I know your customer service is good
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #188
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakwj
Just finish it already!!!! Hahaha. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Just bought the wifey an 04 Tahoe. So now I can get busy converting my WJ to 4x4. Now I need a new bumper, wink wink. And I know your customer service is good
I'm guessing this project isn't gonna be a quick one.. i wouldn't drive my jeep with an ugly bumper on it lol. my wife wouldn't let me drive around either.. I'm gonna take my time and do it right the first time!

plus.. my flares should be here on Wednesday!! those need to go on first so the bumper will match up with them
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #189
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

so it's about 2 am here in Utah and I sent Kolak a PM.. not expecting him to answer until the morning or later on in the day when normal people are awake. well he answered within a half hour with exactly what I needed!! This man is awesome! his customer service is unmatched IMO. he is sending me a replacement bushing for my drivers side upper CA on the axle since mine is shot!
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #190
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
I ♡ John
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #191
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I'll connect with you before that date and we will meet up on my way home.

Now that you have the cardboard template, use it to make a more rigid version. I would use 1/4 inch plywood. It is lightweight enough that you should be able to glue the thing together. Can you find styrofoam sheets in 1/4 inch thickness, or even 1/2 inch thickness? you can also use that, and it would be rigid yet very lightweight.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #192
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
I'll connect with you before that date and we will meet up on my way home.

Now that you have the cardboard template, use it to make a more rigid version. I would use 1/4 inch plywood. It is lightweight enough that you should be able to glue the thing together. Can you find styrofoam sheets in 1/4 inch thickness, or even 1/2 inch thickness? you can also use that, and it would be rigid yet very lightweight.
sounds good to me!

and I think I'm going to use the plywood since I can't find any styrofoam locally. there is a local hardware store that has great prices on plywood also.
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #193
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just found a MIG welder so I can start adjusting my tire carrier I'm not sure when I will be getting it though.. it's coming from a family member but its free! but I have to wait until he can buy an upgraded one which he said should be soon. also, this way I can make the 1/4" plate steel support/winch cradle for my bumper also.. I might be getting a used winch for free from the same person! gotta love family he couldn't remember what kind but I'm sure its a good one. yay!
Unread 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #194
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

parked the wife's Dub next to a good lookin WKII so I ha to snap a pic. she said she likes it but it's too much of a "mom car" lol
image-741141209.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #195
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Flares are here! let the sanding (for alignment/fitting issues) and fiberglass work begin!
image-2535256215.jpg   image-2974243365.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.