UTChavok's build thread. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > UTChavok's build thread.

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #31
Jones
Consider the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Nice score on the 8.8, my friend is getting a new 8.8 for his explorer, so he might sell/give me his old 8.8 with 3.73 and its in good shape. How hard would it be to swap in? I hear its a fairly easy replacement install.
The hard part is getting all the ZJ bracketry correct on the 8.8.

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Like coil spring holders, shock mounts, things like that?

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #33
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

They sell complete kits if your swapping it back into short arms, ~$270. Its not hard if your doing that since you can just look at your old axle, get the measurements and make sure its centered and go at it.

Last edited by UTChavok; 04-22-2009 at 05:27 AM..
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #34
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

All cleaned up. The chunk still has some rust, but ill clean up more where the truss will be welded to, not to concerned.

heres a nice comparison between my spare 35 shafts and the new 8.8

Im ordering around $350 worth of stuff from ballistic on monday, so hopefully this will get rolling soon. I still need to find a 30 with 4.10s, or just say screw it and go without 4x4 for a while and find the waggy 44.
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #35
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Lookin good man, the waggy 44 would be nice but they are low pinion, get the shafts and cut down a HP ford housing down the the waggy width for best results. There are threads all over the web on it.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #36
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

dude...you have a beautiful build. a great ZJ.

niice 8.8 thats gonna be a sick set up.

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Lookin good man, the waggy 44 would be nice but they are low pinion, get the shafts and cut down a HP ford housing down the the waggy width for best results. There are threads all over the web on it.
Yeah thats what I was concerned about. I never really thought about cutting down a full width high pinion. Ill have to think about that one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
dude...you have a beautiful build. a great ZJ.

niice 8.8 thats gonna be a sick set up.
Thanks, I really appreciate comments like that. Makes me feel like im doing something right . Have learned a lot the past 2 years since all of this is a first time for me.
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

How does your ZJ ride without aftermarket UCA's? I'm going to be lifting mine to about 5" soon, and I'd like to avoid buying UCA's for the time being if I can get away with it. I've got a full set of adjustable LCA's though.
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #39
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

The ride isnt bad, Its not stock but it rides well. I view it a little harsh after riding in my buddies that has long arms, but nothing compares to that. Its definitely fine.
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #40
ajmorell

What paint/coating did you end up using for your exhaust manifold, and how well has it held up?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
What paint/coating did you end up using for your exhaust manifold, and how well has it held up?
I used some krylon high heat paint that was said to withstand up to 600 degrees with 1200 degree bursts, needless to say its completely gone from the header now. Its all burned off. If your going to paint yours Id say get the ceramic header stuff you have to bake on. I cheaped out and it showed.

How do you like the shift kit in your 42re? I was going to get them to put one in when it was rebuilt but I forgot to mention it when I dropped it off.
Unread 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #42
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
I used some krylon high heat paint that was said to withstand up to 600 degrees with 1200 degree bursts, needless to say its completely gone from the header now. Its all burned off. If your going to paint yours Id say get the ceramic header stuff you have to bake on. I cheaped out and it showed.

How do you like the shift kit in your 42re? I was going to get them to put one in when it was rebuilt but I forgot to mention it when I dropped it off.
Worth the money. Shifts are firmed up a bit for sure.
Unread 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
Worth the money. Shifts are firmed up a bit for sure.
Did you put yours in? I looked on the transgo site and they only had instructions for the 46rh, but that one seemed pretty straight forward and easy.
Unread 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #44
ajmorell

No, when I replaced my transmission it was already installed in the replacement. It should be pretty easy, IIRC you just need to drop the valve body which is an easy job.
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #45
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
The ride isnt bad, Its not stock but it rides well. I view it a little harsh after riding in my buddies that has long arms, but nothing compares to that. Its definitely fine.
Sounds good, I may hold off on the UCA's now. What LCA's are you running?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.