UTChavok's build thread. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > UTChavok's build thread.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
What other plans do you have for it?
well right now my engine looks like this

I finally got everything off. Its the first time I messed with the power steering pump, the fan belt, intake manifold or any of that stuff so this has been fun. Im going to get some high heat paint to paint my header so it doesnt rust and thatll go on either tonight or tommorow morning depending on what I feel like doing.

But as for my actual plans next is finding an 8.8.

I appreciate the good comments too

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Are you doing a 99+ intake manifold swap while you're in there? What did you end up trimming your fenders with? They look really clean.
Unread 04-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Are you doing a 99+ intake manifold swap while you're in there? What did you end up trimming your fenders with? They look really clean.
I planned on doing the 99 swap, but I had a bad experience with a salvage yard that was the only one that had one locally so I said screw it. I emailed the GM saying id be down friday at 3:30 to pick it up. He said sounds good blah blah blah. So I drive the 1.5 hours to get to this yard and the GMs not there, and the *** who was said theres no way we can pull it off now, Im way to busy... even though the engine was out of the Jeep. He wouldnt let me do it either so I drove off and never bothered looking for another one.

But I trimmed the front fenders mostly with a jigsaw, and a cut off wheel where the jigsaw wouldnt reach. Did the rears with a cut off wheel in an angle grinder.

Heres so pics so far:
Fuel rail off

Intake manifold off

Gaping hole...

New vs Old

my TB was covered in carbon build up. All of it was black, nice and clean now.
Unread 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

What brand header is that? Was it a PITA to pull everything off as well? My header has a crack near the collector and I have the WJ manifold, so I'm thinking I should probably replace the header too while I'm tearing everything apart.
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
What brand header is that? Was it a PITA to pull everything off as well? My header has a crack near the collector and I have the WJ manifold, so I'm thinking I should probably replace the header too while I'm tearing everything apart.
Im not sure of the brand honestly, its a small retailer on ebay. It seems to be the same exact one rusty sells for $100 more. ebay link

It really wasnt a pita to pull it all off. The 4 bolts underneath the intake manifold was a pain, but with someone underneath to guide the socket on its not to difficult. I had to grind the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the flange for the tailpipe. They were insanely rusted on and no amount of pb blaster or torch was moving them. The header came with new ones though so its fine. Other then that its pretty straight forward. It is tedious if you havent done it before with just figuring out how everything comes apart.

Last edited by UTChavok; 04-11-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Finished the install.

all painted up

headers in

fuel rail going back on

I usually dont have this many pictures but Im using this as another project for school so I had to take a bunch and document it. Im gonna get a drive by video sometime soon too. It sounds so much better now. Besides the exhaust leak I had you can tell the difference between the stock one and the new header.
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Went to a motorsports festival today, our club brought a ghetto RTI ramp we got. My rear shocks are a little short, my rear driver would lift up after this and I had a lot more room to stuff the front and the rear passenger. Im not gonna worry about it though until I need to buy new shocks for 5.5"

Heres some more pics from the day

sexy camaro
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #23
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Ronnie, this thing is looking better all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
Thats a good lookin old waggy, too!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Gabe. Yeah I do love the wagon. Its ridiculously big, 4" springs with the spring over and 2" shackles.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #25
daufuskieraised
1996 ZJ 

Yea it is big. It looks so empty under it without the front driveshaft and because its so high on leafs.

That header looks so sweet all black.
Magnet antenna
daufuskieraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #26
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufuskieraised View Post
That header looks so sweet all black.
To bad the paint burned off after a couple times running it. Advance had BBQ paint rated to 600 degrees and I figured that would be fine instead of baking the ceramic stuff on, guess not.

Tommorow im picking up $220 worth of goodies for the rear from a guy in NC. little hint, its nothing for the turd back there now.
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #27
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

I guess no one likes to play the guessing game....

anyway I got an 8.8 with the mounts already ground off, brand new brake pads, rotors calipers, ebrake, pads and the flange to ujoint adapter all for $220. Its a little rusty because it was sitting in this dudes shed, but nothing a flap wheel wont clean up in the next day or two.

Doing a four link with DOM for the links. Gonna go with johnys on the lower links axle side and these poly bushings from ballistic for the frame side. (http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...63_p_1646.html) there like brand new from what my friend was saying. Not sure if were doing hiems or not for the uppers though.
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
I guess no one likes to play the guessing game....

anyway I got an 8.8 with the mounts already ground off, brand new brake pads, rotors calipers, ebrake, pads and the flange to ujoint adapter all for $220. Its a little rusty because it was sitting in this dudes shed, but nothing a flap wheel wont clean up in the next day or two.

Doing a four link with DOM for the links. Gonna go with johnys on the lower links axle side and these poly bushings from ballistic for the frame side. (http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...63_p_1646.html) there like brand new from what my friend was saying. Not sure if were doing hiems or not for the uppers though.

Should be a great upgrade for your ZJ. Do you have the 35 locked currently? I might be interested if you were willing to part with the locker.
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Nah its not locked, just open. Im pretty sure im gonna take the coil buckets off the 35 and reuse them. Someone I know wants the disc brakes to to turn thier 8.25 drum into discs. So Ill just have a bare 35 housing I guess would be good for scrap somewhere?

Yeah I didnt mention, the 8.8 is 4.10s aswell. A little upgrade to spin the 33s for a while. Just need to find a hp30 with 4.10s to hold me over for the waggy front.
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice score on the 8.8, my friend is getting a new 8.8 for his explorer, so he might sell/give me his old 8.8 with 3.73 and its in good shape. How hard would it be to swap in? I hear its a fairly easy replacement install.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.