Under-carriage spare tire security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Under-carriage spare tire security

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
wdhppz

Under-carriage spare tire security

I'm new to this, but I need some answers - hope you can help. Direct me otherwise if I'm not in the right place. I am on my fourth spare tire my Jeep Grand Cherokee. First, I am told that I have a warning system if the air in the spare gets low. True? If so, why didn't it tell me when the spare was missing?

Second, I know I live in a sophisticated crime city - Chicago - but are there any realistic solutions besides abandoning the under-carriage system and living with a spare in my storage area? I have ceased replacing the spare with an alloy wheel, but last week they stole the steel rim and tire - and the rear tires were even backed up to the concrete curb in the parking lot!

We have tried the cable/lock idea without any luck. The dealer says to get a Harley-Davidson rubber-covered chain with a lock, but I was told that there are sawsalls out there that are now cordless making that futile, too.

Help!

wdhppz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

how does the tire attach to the bottom? is it just a large bolt with a wingnut like thing? if so drill a hole in the bolt part after the wing nut or whatever and put a lock on their. your probably better off using a lock like this its what they use in storage units dont know how it holds up to sawzalls though. Maybe keep it on your roof locked up, its much easier to spot someone stealing a tire if its on the roof. or you can just keep it inside your jeep, but i would worry about people smashing windows to get it. Weird that its kept under the jeep, I know on my friends 94ZJ its kept inside, and on my 04Wj its kept inside the jeep too.

What year jeep do you have?
PS fill out your jeep info
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
tody009
1994 ZJ 

yeah all zjs and wjs came with the spares inside the rear cargo area. idk about the wks tho. what year is your Jeep? and sorry man thats messed up. i am very thankful for where i live. give us some info and we will do our best to get you an answer
1994 ZJ 4x4 with 5.2 and 46rh, 249, k&n cold air, mike leach headers, msd iginition, flowmaster 50, taurus e-fan, rancho 3" lift, bfg 31", ARB bumper, warn m8000, ipf lights, custom sliders, don-a-vee tire carrier, custom drawers in the back
tody009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
Ruben36

I have the same problem. I live in Chicago as well but luckily this is my first time having it stolen. I have an 05 grand Cherokee. The tire is secured with a wench which is apparently useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ruben36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
USMCGunrock
2004 WJ 

The TPS (Tire Pressure Sensor) on the tires only work at a certain proximity to the receiver.

One option is moving out of Chicago..lol j/k. Other than keeping it in your trunk, I don't know what other options. I bet if they see that there they will break the window and get it out. Another is getting a roof rack and have a lockable tire carrier there..but I can see that whole rack getting stolen as well. There isn't much you can do from what I can think of right now other than just keeping the spare at home and hope you won't need it. :\
USMCGunrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.