Front arms & disco's now fitted, lift all round is 3.5" with the help of some spacers. Decided to get some IRO 4" springs & new shocks asap. Handling on the road is much improved with all the new arms, bushes must have been feeling thier 220k miles on the original arms.
Flex is limited by my shocks (only for a 2" lift) and lack of front propshaft, will fit that tomorrow.
Oil seal, along side new crush sleave (& old), bearing & washer
all assembled ready for the yoke
Torqued up with a breaker bar & pipe spanner against the LCA.
Once the play in the pinion is taken up be very careful with torquing up, I went from 5lb/in rotational force to 20lb/in in 1/8th of a turn of the nut.
This was bought years ago at an auto jumble, first time I have used it, being 3/8th drive I had to put a bolt through my 1/2" socket and use a smalled socket on the bolt as my 3/8th sockects are way too small
DC prop all fitted up
getting slight vibe around 50 mph so need to dial in my pinion angle tomorrow
Update on my flex now I am 4wd again, all on my personal tunnel rti ramp
my old XJ with 3"
my current spec WJ in 2WD
and now in 4wd
Happy bunny, one slight problem is the front spring fell out I will make up some spring retainers to hold them top & bottom. Oh and I have never been so far up my ramp, I managed to ground my front bumper/fog lights, new Iceland Offroad bumper is on the cards
Well the 4x4 fun didn't last too long. When I got my diesel axles fitted a while back there was a fair bit of whine from the front end, I put this down to the CV shaft & lift. When I did the pinion I found a fair bit of rusty sludge in the bearings & they were feeling pretty worn. I did a "put it back together & fingers crossed" thing but the front end lasted about a week before the noise got too much & it started vibrating. So a new axle has been found.
Just cleaned up the spring mounts, what a bad design for attracting rust! Given them a good dose of rust eating paint, may do the rest of the axle when it is fitted up.
Back 4x4'ing again. The jeep has been to a dealer for the first time in years, strangely they were the cheapest quote to swap out the front & rear pinion seals, change the axle & TC oils and fit my prop.
Still trying to dial in my pinion angle correctly, thing I will have to buy a digital level as using my android phone doesn't seem to be working too well.
First day offroading with the IRO setup, front spring fell out
Ran the rest of the day with the disco's refitted. At least the bump stops are correct for my tyres
THis is where I refitted the spring, had to get a friend of..ermm..."larger frame" to stand on the rear bumper & I lifted the front bumper so we could pop the spring back in
The vari-lok's performed faultlessly, drove everywhere a TJ on 33's did without getting stuck, needed to back out and have a run at a few mud holes but considering I am on 31" ATs I was very happy. Ordering 32"s next week
Well I got lucky with the Tevez brakes I had on mine, 220k miles without any of the issues with sticking & warping rotors then overnight they start playing up
A new box of goodies just arrived, off to fit them in a bit