Tymaoaretae's WJ - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 129 Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
I've been meaning to make a build thread for a few years now, so this is going to be retroactive for a while. I started with a 2003 Limited V8 with Quadradrive with around 146K miles on it that I picked up sometime in 12/2011. The first things I did to it, all in my first month of ownership were tires (it came with 4 mismatched tires and one had a hole in the sidewall), blend doors, battery, headlights, and all fluids (I use Amsoil across the board, and that's all I'll say on that subject). Two summers later I did the front driver's CV axle and both front brake calipers, and then I did nothing for another year or so while slowly assembling a pile of parts (I used cash back rewards from a credit card to pay for 100% of my first lift, so it took nearly a year to buy everything). My first lift was OME HD with Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME 10mm spacers, new isolators, and a JKS adjustable trackbar. I also did all tie rods and ends and a steering stabilizer, all Moog. Sadly I only got about two inches.

Here's a "before" and "current" shot to give an idea of where this is going (went?).

Name:  image-874596648.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  658.7 KB

Here's what it's got at the moment:
- Rough Country long arms (upgrade kit)
- 4.5" Clayton springs with 2.5" spacers front, and 2" spacers rear.
- Bilstein 5165 shocks all around. 11.6" travel
- JKS trackbar (shortened)
- Synergy JK flipped drag link and tie rod.
- Moog SS mounted between drag link and trackbar
- NV242 HD
- Dynatrac ProRock 44 front axle with ARB locker, RCV shafts, Reid racing knuckles, Dynatrac ball joints, and 4.56 gears.
- D44A rear axle with varilok, 4.56 JK gears, and BTF cover.
- Protofab bumpers front and rear
- 2x6 steel rockers
- IRO TC skid
- Rigid Dually Fog lights and D2 driving lights
- Some cheap procomp 17" 4.75 bs alloy wheels and 34.4" load D Duratrac tires
- Quadratec 9500lbs winch
- ARB dual compressor with 6 gal aluminum tank.
- Fully bedlined interior (Monstaliner over lizardskin sound and thermal)
- All aluminum radiator
- Durango 160amp alternator
- Big three wiring harness all new 0ga
- Full, inexpensive sound system upgrade, Pioneer Bluetooth head unit powering 3.5" Rockford Fosgate dash speakers, 400W RF two channel amp powering RF 6x9 and 6.5 inch door speakers, and an RF 12 inch 600W powered sub, with a quick disconnect setup for making room fast.
- Flashpaq, mostly for tire size/speedo , but I did the 87 tune because why not.
- NGK Laser iridium spark plugs because I am far more interested in not having to replace them again any time soon than I am in performance.
- Spyder projector housings for the headlights (not really a fan of the halos, didn't hook them up, but I wanted projectors).
- ZJ washer bottle.

2003 WJ LTD 4.7, 242HD, PR44+ARB+RCV & D44HD+varilok+BTF 4.56, 7" RC LA (Clayton coils + pucks), Bilstein 5165, OBA, Lizardskined & Monstalined inside.

Last edited by tymaoaretae; 07-10-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: I did the axle swap I was originally contemplating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 10:31 AM
GreyManMedic
2000 WJ 

Looks sharp man!

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 AM
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Nice build! Did you get a good adjustment from your flashpac for your speedo? I've heard it doesn't work.

Keep it up man!

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"

post #4 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 PM
thecause17
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Nice build! Did you get a good adjustment from your flashpac for your speedo? I've heard it doesn't work.

Keep it up man!
I think the earlier years have trouble with them, but '02+ works. Works great for me...the only problem I had with it tells you to measure your tire height and enter that into the tuner, but it's actually off by an inch. I contacted SC about it and they blew me off, but the same thing happened to me on a Dakota once years ago. My tires measure 31", but I have to have 30" in the tuner for it to be correct. My speed is perfect though.

Great looking Jeep. The JK 44's would be nice...how much fab work is necessary for it to work? I think I remember reading that the front is quite a bit of work. I don't know of many who have done the rear offhand, since our V8's already have a D44.

'14 F-150 Ecoboost Super Crew 4x4
'97 ZJ 4.0 SOLD, '04 WJ SE 4.0 TOTALED, '03 KJ SOLD, '07 WK Hemi QD SOLD, '04 Columbia 4.7HO SOLD
post #5 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
The Flashpaq worked perfectly for my speedo, but I have heard it doesn't for the older models. I don't remember if it its 01 or 02 that is the cutoff.

As for the JK44 axles, the front isn't much work, it's pretty close as is, the rear requires completely changing all the brackets. The trouble with the JK44's is primarily that they are expensive for what they are. ECGS makes a bolt in set of JK44s for the WJ (in other words they do the brackets for you), but for the kind of money they want I'd have to consider dynatrac as well, at least up front. If I follow that train of thought much further I'll be spending three times what the jeep is worth on axles..

As for the rear 44 I already have, I figure if I'm going to the trouble of locking and re-gearing anyway, not to mention possibly replacing other worn out parts, I might as well get away from the aluminum housing.

2003 WJ LTD 4.7, 242HD, PR44+ARB+RCV & D44HD+varilok+BTF 4.56, 7" RC LA (Clayton coils + pucks), Bilstein 5165, OBA, Lizardskined & Monstalined inside.
post #6 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
GreyManMedic
2000 WJ 

What size tires are those on the 17" rims? I didn't catch that detail........

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 05:57 PM
thecause17
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaoaretae View Post
The Flashpaq worked perfectly for my speedo, but I have heard it doesn't for the older models. I don't remember if it its 01 or 02 that is the cutoff.

As for the JK44 axles, the front isn't much work, it's pretty close as is, the rear requires completely changing all the brackets. The trouble with the JK44's is primarily that they are expensive for what they are. ECGS makes a bolt in set of JK44s for the WJ (in other words they do the brackets for you), but for the kind of money they want I'd have to consider dynatrac as well, at least up front. If I follow that train of thought much further I'll be spending three times what the jeep is worth on axles..

As for the rear 44 I already have, I figure if I'm going to the trouble of locking and re-gearing anyway, not to mention possibly replacing other worn out parts, I might as well get away from the aluminum housing.
Yeah the aluminum is definitely a weak point, although there is armor out there that can help, the strongest solution is to chuck it, but is also the most expensive solution.

'97 ZJ 4.0 SOLD, '04 WJ SE 4.0 TOTALED, '03 KJ SOLD, '07 WK Hemi QD SOLD, '04 Columbia 4.7HO SOLD
post #8 of 129 Old 01-06-2016, 06:02 PM
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Oh ok good to know about the flash, wonder if the 4.0 gets any gains from it.

Ive been on the fence about axles too. I figure if your doing any major work like brackets or regearing, jump a step and find a dana 60 or 10.5 sterling rear and a 44 front minimum. Through all the hassle of getting brackets welded up, lockers, gears, you might as well find an axle that will take the abuse comfortably and in reality pay the same price if you get the axle from a junkyard or craigslist. The jk front 44 isnt all that great anyways, just alot of aftermarket support. Only issue with 1 tons is the width

Thats just me though. Money better spent I think

post #9 of 129 Old 01-07-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyManMedic
What size tires are those on the 17" rims? I didn't catch that detail........
315/70R17. 34.4x12.7 inches according to GY.

post #10 of 129 Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn
Ive been on the fence about axles too. I figure if your doing any major work like brackets or regearing, jump a step and find a dana 60 or 10.5 sterling rear and a 44 front minimum. Through all the hassle of getting brackets welded up, lockers, gears, you might as well find an axle that will take the abuse comfortably and in reality pay the same price if you get the axle from a junkyard or craigslist. The jk front 44 isnt all that great anyways, just alot of aftermarket support. Only issue with 1 tons is the width Thats just me though. Money better spent I think
I've debated tons, but in addition to the width, I'd also be giving up clearance if I don't move to bigger tires (unless I get PR60s or something $$$). I'd also almost definitely need new wheels, and unless I go the non-junkyard route, I'm almost definitely giving up ABS and speedometer from the axles. Admittedly the JK44 front is essentially a D30 with a 44 center section, so it is, as you say, "not all that great" but it does have a ton of aftermarket support, and a width, bolt pattern, and wheel speed sensor setup that plays well with a WJ. Some of the aftermarket housings go a ways toward addressing the D30ish aspects of the JK44.

post #11 of 129 Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Figures I finally get around to starting a build thread and:

Name:  image-3614461808.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  658.8 KB

I haven't got a chance to get a good look at it yet, but the bumper bent back and in a couple inches and the front axle got knocked somehow, I can't make right turns at all, and my steering wheel is turned left when the wheels are straight. Battery tray got snapped in half, but the frame rails seem to have stayed in place.

A guy in a Mitsubishi suv made a left turn from the right lane directly into me at speed. Claimed he didn't realize it was a two lane one way street and didn't expect anyone to be there so he didn't look... On the bright side there were several witnesses and it was only a block from the police headquarters.

post #12 of 129 Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 AM
thecause17
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ouch, hopefully it's not too bad underneath.

post #13 of 129 Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Appears that the front passenger axle housing is bent back and up, which explains why the tire hits the firewall now when turning right. Also the upper ball joint on that side looks done as well.

The bumper bent in about 4 inches and down about 2 inches. The headlight housing is obviously destroyed. The fender is crumpled but also pushed back so it rubs the passenger door if you open it.

That's all I can see at the moment. Hopefully that's everything.

post #14 of 129 Old 01-18-2016, 06:30 PM
MoonyJohn
2004 WJ 

Damn.. just think if you didnt have that front bumper on. Im sorry to see this, I hope everything gets worked out in your favor, no airbags so thats a bonus!

post #15 of 129 Old 01-22-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
tymaoaretae

2003 WJ 

Garage
Good news for the most part. The adjuster worked with me so it wouldn't have to be "totaled" but I still got as much as I could for it, more than enough for me to fix it.

The passenger side front axle tube is definitely bent, and the inner seal must be damaged because it's leaking diff fluid.

Now my problem is, do I just go grab another D30 and slap it in there so I can use the jeep asap, or do I take my time and do an axle swap now that I suddenly have a need and some funds. I guess I could do both if I could find a D30 cheap enough.

I have motorcycles, so as long as the roads aren't terrible I can still get around after I have to give my rental back. Speaking of the rental, very much not a fan of the new Cherokee. The transmission is atrocious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.