TX-WJ's build thread. - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > TX-WJ's build thread.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #121
Mark817XJ

It looks great but I thought you had to use a roller fairlead for a cable?

Mark817XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #122
LSRGreg
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark817XJ View Post
It looks great but I thought you had to use a roller fairlead for a cable?
you should.. or at least a steel hawse fairlead.. but he has posted a few times he is switching to synthetic line. Just doesn't have it yet..

G-
Unread 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #123
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Pressure is on David, this is one of the threads of the week. So many are watching.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #124
DjDiddles
2002 WJ 

Really nice build!!!! Those axels are beefy!!! Love the front bumper!!! Can't wait to see the 6in lift on!!!
Colorado Jeep Club #977
DjDiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #125
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

wow man nice build..

keep up the awesome work.

where in TX are you from.

I am in austin

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #126
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Subscribed...my future plans to a T
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #127
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

What are your plans for steering? Sticking with JK Tie Rod I'd assume, then a custom High Steer setup? This really does seem like a fairly straight forward swap. I'm beginning my welding classes after work next week, so in 2 years I should be ready for this on my WJ.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #128
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDiddles View Post
Really nice build!!!! Those axels are beefy!!! Love the front bumper!!! Can't wait to see the 6in lift on!!!
Thanks, yeah me too, I wish I had more time to work on the heep, but want to finish the drivetrain before putting the lift on. Currently working/getting parts for the 242 HD swap and diff gears (4.88s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
wow man nice build. keep up the awesome work. where in TX are you from. I am in austin
Thanks man, Im in San Antonio, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
What are your plans for steering? Sticking with JK Tie Rod I'd assume, then a custom High Steer setup? This really does seem like a fairly straight forward swap. I'm beginning my welding classes after work next week, so in 2 years I should be ready for this on my WJ.
I already have the HD rockcrawler TR and the DL as well (both for the JK, and they are mad beef), the DL will be flipped, may need to work some on the DL dimensions to fit, but based on my measurements, it should be pretty close once the 6" lift is on. We'll see.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #129
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-WJ View Post
I already have the HD rockcrawler TR and the DL as well (both for the JK, and they are mad beef), the DL will be flipped, may need to work some on the DL dimensions to fit, but based on my measurements, it should be pretty close once the 6" lift is on. We'll see.
Thank's for the info. I'll definitely be referencing this thread when the time comes for me to do a similar swap. Great write up and detail!
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #130
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

How to fail by breaking your D44a!

OK, since the build it's taking it's time , last weekend I figured I'd check the D44a (with it's broken LH shaft) and see if it would be worth to get a JY shaft for cheap so I could drive the WJ while the build is complete...... SOB, it wasn't pretty, I had already checked the diff a while back, and everything looked good, I just knew the shaft was broken, and figure I just wait to swap the rear axle rather than try and fix it. This is what I found, the shaft broke right at the at the splines, but it had twisted and expended some inside the "tube" part of the carrier (right underneath the carrier ring side bearing). The shaft came out but the splined fragment was stuck in there .... I used the other side's shaft and some sockets to press it out..... got the aussie out (intact) and inspected inside; the R&P are OK, the housing is straight, but the carrier as mentioned is toast..... , so no sense on spending a dime on it, put the spider gears back in, bolted stuff back up (with broken shaft and all ) so I can at least move the dub in and out of the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Bouncing is bad, mmmmmm k?

Nice carnage

Where did the axle shaft break at? Splines? PICS!!!
Da pics: (FYI, stock D44a shaft, aussie locked, 32" ATs, V8, trying to climb a double whammie staircase, minimal bouncing, no, really ).

RH shaft for comparison:

How it expanded after twisting and breaking, messing the carrier:

FAIL! .
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #131
sandman
1993 ZJ 

i bet the housing flexed causing the break.
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #132
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

On a better note, I started the hunt for a 242 HD; took a trip to the local JYs hoping for the best, but no go..... only found one 242 LD with over 100K mi. Since I was there though, got a few goodies to keep the dub jay happy .

Few months after buying the WJ, the LH side mirror took a dump and the auto-dimming function quit working, the fluid just layered inside the mirror and it got darker and darker.... I looked online and the prices were outrageous (>$100), so I simply broke the outter-most glass, cleaned up that nasty oily darkening fluid, and kept a heated non dimming mirror.

Well, scored a working auto-dark'ng one at the JY out of a '99 ($5):

I had thought bout painting my antenna (pun intended) black since I did not like the silver one on the Ltd. well, took a black one for $3 since I charge myself much more than that for a paint job, and now have a spare one.

One of the few things that I really missed from when I had the '99 was the folding rear seat headrests, which allowed you to fold the seats forward without having to remove the headrest, a feature neither my '03 or the '04 had, to DC. Found a matching set out of a '99 ($10 for both) and slapped them in.

So let's see, $5 plus $3 plus $10, plus $1 "environmental fee", minus 50c I found in the back of one of the WJs ; not too shabby for a <$20 bones trip to the JY, and the WJ got some well deserved love .

Last edited by TX-WJ; 10-01-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #133
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Ouch. Looks exactly like my D35 shaft when it broke. Make sure to replace the bearing and race on the side of the break.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #134
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
i bet the housing flexed causing the break.
Maybe, but what I really think happened was the LH rear tire was bound up on a crack, and the torque went all to the RH shaft, and twisted till it broke (ya know, the aussie doing it's thing).
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #135
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Ouch. Looks exactly like my D35 shaft when it broke. Make sure to replace the bearing and race on the side of the break.
Nah, not replacing it, will just wait for the JK swap to be complete.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.