Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TX-WJ's build thread.

192K views 512 replies 99 participants last post by  TX-WJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally get to start my build thread :p.

So far I have owned 3 WJs, started with a graphite '99 Laredo, loved that color, kept it stock until I sold it; gone but never forgotten.

Then came the silver '03 Laredo, bought it new for $29K :eek: (worst deal I ever made on a car :brickwall), started wrenching on it, 2"BB+UC, MX6s, JKS Disco's, rear Addco, 32 ATs, freedom conversion LOL; was fun while it lasted, lots of mudding, minor dents.

But with the 4.slow and 32s, major loss in power came (was my DD then), started thinking about re-gearing the 30/35, but after pricing the gears/install opted to look for an '04 with the V8; then I found her........

My current (and probably last) WJ is a steel blue pearlcoat V8 4.7 Ltd., what a joy it was stock on the freeway, plenty of power for such a heavy rig; got her on Sept '07 for $13K with 37K mi on the odo; sold the '03 for $10K with 65K mi on it :D.

The build sheet:

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center requesting the build sheet for your 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:

*XL Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-L5 Taupe
ADE Cold Weather Group
AFFS Luxury Group
AHX Trailer Tow Group IV
APAS Monotone Paint
A82P 4.7L Eng (EVA)/5Spd A/T 5-45Rfe(DGQ)
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator
BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel
CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags**
CKDS Floor Carpet
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CLGS Covered Cargo Storage
CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net
CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads
CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CUDS Mini Overhead Console
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHFS Quadra-Trac II On Demand 4WD System
DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
DMEP 3.73 Axle Ratio
DRKP Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
EVA 4.7L V8 MPI Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GNKS Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
GT3S Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
GWA Power Sunroof
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAFS Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control
HGAS Hood Insulation
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
I23S Route 23 - CSX, Jessup, MD
JA6S Electroluminescent Instr Cluster
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJP 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKAS Locking Glove Box
JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKYS Power Accessory Delay
JPBS Power Locks
JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch
JRHP Pwr 10 Htd Mem Drvr 6-Way Pass Seats
K4QS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
LACS Illuminated Entry
LAGS Warning Chime
LAZP Vehicle Information Center
LBBS Courtesy Lamps
LBCS Glove Box Lamp
LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps
LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
LEWS Radio/Driver Seat/Mirrors Memory
LMBS Halogen Headlamps
LMGP Automatic Headlamps
LNJS Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
LSAS Security Alarm
MDAS Front License Plate Bracket
MFZS Bright Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MT2S Trail Rated Badge
MVAS Limited Badge
MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge
MVCS Jeep Badge
MVEP V-8 Badge
MWES Side Roof Rails
MWTS 4X4 Badge
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions
NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHFP Power Steering Cooler
NHMS Speed Control
NMHP Hydraulic Engine Cooling
PBQ Steel Blue Pearl Coat
QBQS Steel Blue Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RBP AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl
RCES Infinity Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
RDZP Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCLS Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TSVS P235/65R17 BSW AS Perf Tires
TZHP Michelin Brand Tires
WF1P 17" Steel Spare Wheel
WGPS 17X7.5 Alum Silver Accent Wheels
WLYC All Steel Wheels
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFLP 7 to 4 Pin Wiring Adaptor
XGDP Universal Garage Door Opener
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U S Market Specifications
YGCA 7 Additional Gallons of Gas
ZKGP Spring - Left Front
ZKYP Spring - Left Rear
ZYGP Spring - Right Front
ZYYP Spring - Right Rear
Z6BP GVW/Payload Rating
04HA FAM: LH TRACKING: 20823L06 MY:2003
04IA FAM: LH TRACKING: 20814L05 MY:2003
1AAS U.S. Dealer Retail
135S Zone 35-Washington
2TGA Customer Preferred Package 2TG
28G Customer Preferred Package 28G
3C3A V-8 Bonus Discount
32FA Limited Equipment Discount
39BA New Price Tracking
5I1S WJ-Vehicle Family
5I4S Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4)
5I8S Left Hand Drive (LHD)
594S Vehicle Order Tracking
6USS Label - U.S. Specifications
621S Maryland State Code
921S Maryland State Code

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Senior Staff Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
Here's the window sticker:

And here she is, in its pure "stock" form (sidesteps installed by the PO :teehee:; as a first mod, those sidesteps have to go).

In with the new, out with the old:

more to come....

See less See more
#70 · (Edited)
Well, I'm glad that the JK axles are nearly a bolt-on swap for the WJ :rolleyes:; finally done cutting / griding all the brackets off the rear today, hopefully will be able to weld the truss & new brackets this weekend and move on to something else. Still can't make up my mind whether to go with 35s or 37s KM2s....

#71 ·
I'm loving those pics. The 44's are awesome, but the sparks flying are even more awesome. Was it the wife taking the snapshots? What kind of camera did she have? Man, you have the WJ I'd want if I had a WJ. I envy you guys that have such building skills. Maybe when I'm 40 if I dedicate every day of my life from this point forward to learning. LOL Good luck with your build. I keep watching and am always surprised. You've kept busy.

#76 ·
Thanks, camera is canon SD800 IS point n shoot, so nothing fancy, just set a long exposure time to capture the sparks :D.

man this is turning out to be some pretty beautiful craftsmanship. i say to run 37s if you think youre up to it. it would be alot of work on top of what youre doing id imagine with regearing and all that but youve already come this far so why not go ahead and do it? axles are already out siting and waiting to be regeared. then a little trimming and bump stopping if necessary and youd be set.
Yeah, the issue with the 37s is more like I may be pushing the limits of the 44s, but I think I'll wind up crhomo'd anyways so might as well.... we'll see, may just go for 4.88s gears instead of 5.13s to keep the pinion at a decent size.

I agree with Spife. Awesome work man. Now hurry the hell up. :D
Thanks, I'm trying to get this moving :p.

dude, this is freakin awesome
Thanks.

Looking good man.
Thanks bud, I'll be calling you to play with the grands once I'm up n running again. :wave:

#72 ·
man this is turning out to be some pretty beautiful craftsmanship. i say to run 37s if you think youre up to it. it would be alot of work on top of what youre doing id imagine with regearing and all that but youve already come this far so why not go ahead and do it? axles are already out siting and waiting to be regeared. then a little trimming and bump stopping if necessary and youd be set.

#84 ·
No they have been factory. And the one I sighted is a 08' JK Rub with a 4" lift and MTR kevlar 37's

The extra you have put into yours should do the trick. The only other thing is they tend to loose the caps on the short shaft u joint. :( (didn't see if you changed the axles)

#86 ·
No they have been factory. And the one I sighted is a 08' JK Rub with a 4" lift and MTR kevlar 37's

The extra you have put into yours should do the trick. The only other thing is they tend to loose the caps on the short shaft u joint. :( (didn't see if you changed the axles)
Yeah, I've seen that; imma tack the caps to the ears on the stub shafts till I can save up for chromos/CVs then use the stock for spares.

This post has been deleted
#89 ·
I cannot compliment Greg :wave: and LSR enough for the craftmanship on this thing; pics of what FedEx freight brought home today. I had them body color match the bumper and the fairlead/D-rings are powder coated graphite to keep the same color theme I have going on so far. Worth every penny fo shoo!

#92 ·
that is probably the sexiest bumper i have ever seen. im not exaggerating. i love the color scheme.

your in fredericksburg or something right?

#96 ·
thanks for tossin me the link David! I just read through your build. Nice work!! Impressed with those welds! And totally jealous of those axles.. i am going to run mine until they break.. then worry about it! haha..

Now i am subscribed, so i can watch the rest! Keep it coming!

G-

#98 · (Edited)
The bumper was taking up too much space in the garage, so I got it mounted today and man, am I happy with this :). Quality is an understatement :thumbsup:, everything went as planned, the brackets to mount this thing are impressive, there is no doubt this bumper will take quite a bit of abuse before those tabs even move.

Why the bumper went in.....mangled rad support :thumbdown:.

I bent the little sheet metal tab on the sides instead of cutting it:

Yup, this thing is S.T.R.O.N.G.

I manhandled it and mocked it up, really not that bad, just don't drop it, you'll likely lose a toe :eek::

The mounting tabs were just 1/16" a little too close to one another for the bumper to fit, so out with the hydraulic spreader :p

And if someone could give me a hand with that final little push....mmgghhh!!!..... there, perfect :laugh:.

Only 4 fun units are needed for this project :cheers2:

It will look much more proportional once I put in the 6" calyton's and get the JKs underneath with 35"s, but even at 3" with 32s, I looks much better than say an ARB. With the winch mounted, (especially with the wire rope), you will lose close to 1" of height at the front, so I'll likely keep the BB on top of the 6" coils up front to compensate, at least until I get synthetic line. I still need to hook up the winch to the battery, and get the lights, may go with yellow fogs....how bout yellow HIDs...mmmhhh let me think bout that.

Greg, you' da' man :wave:.

#104 ·
Nice install! Oh.. BTW.. you probably could have loosened the mounting plates, spread them open a little by hand, instead of using the jack method.. The mounting plates have a little play back and forth just for that reason.

Looks awesome man!

G-

#108 ·
Nice install! Oh.. BTW.. you probably could have loosened the mounting plates, spread them open a little by hand, instead of using the jack method.. The mounting plates have a little play back and forth just for that reason.

Looks awesome man!

G-
LOL, yeah, I knew someone would say that, but I had the bolts all torqued (all 10 of them) and it was just a tad, spreading them was easier/faster :D.

Edit: G- I hope I didn't just void my warranty :teehee:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.